And, we're off.....2016/17

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 16999

Other teams that found it difficult in a tough season. Arsenal finished above these teams yet we have the issues? That's a very strange perspective.
They have all recognised they had problems and addressed them, your hoping you get a bit of luck as apparently that's all your missing.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
They have all recognised they had problems and addressed them, your hoping you get a bit of luck as apparently that's all your missing.

Ha Ha you know that's not what I am saying.

We have added a few but still trying to bring in a couple more. I think something will be announced in the next week or so.

Chuba Akpom might be one to watch this year and from what I saw of Xhaka and Holding so far , looks very encouraging.

D

Deleted member 15344

Ha Ha you know that's not what I am saying.

We have added a few but still trying to bring in a couple more. I think something will be announced in the next week or so.

Chuba Akpom might be one to watch this year and from what I saw of Xhaka and Holding so far , looks very encouraging.
Putting your hopes into two kids is exactly what Arsenals issues are - other teams are looking for the established internationals or players who are on the verge of breaking through and are happy to pay that little bit extra - City buy Sane and Jesus - it may cost them around £50 mil for the pair but both players are in that top level for youngsters

Akpom spent a year at Hull and scored 3 in 35 games - not exactly a record in a lower league that shouts out

It just shows the level of ambition being shown - it may be financially sound not to risk £20 plus on a youngster but it doesn't help the team not to chase those sort of players

Only have to look at Martial - Wenger could have had him but just turned away because of the money

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Putting your hopes into two kids is exactly what Arsenals issues are - other teams are looking for the established internationals or players who are on the verge of breaking through and are happy to pay that little bit extra - City buy Sane and Jesus - it may cost them around £50 mil for the pair but both players are in that top level for youngsters

Akpom spent a year at Hull and scored 3 in 35 games - not exactly a record in a lower league that shouts out

It just shows the level of ambition being shown - it may be financially sound not to risk £20 plus on a youngster but it doesn't help the team not to chase those sort of players

Only have to look at Martial - Wenger could have had him but just turned away because of the money

Is that the same Martial that couldn't get a game at the Euro's? Behind in the pecking order Benzema, Giroud and Cignac ?

Not saying Martial won't come good but he has a bit to prove to justify his hefty price tag.

Paperboy

Mini Cam
Visit site
Is that the same Martial that couldn't get a game at the Euro's? Behind in the pecking order Benzema, Giroud and Cignac ?

Not saying Martial won't come good but he has a bit to prove to justify his hefty price tag.

Sean do you honestly rate Giroud? Think he's ok but nothing special, seems to go missing for the tough parts of the season!

freddielong

Tour Winner
www.garbtherapy.com
Sean do you honestly rate Giroud? Think he's ok but nothing special, seems to go missing for the tough parts of the season!

Giroud is a very good old fashioned number 10 his hold up play,flicks and lay offs are excellent he is the best I have ever seen at the cushioned headerlay off but he just isn't a number 9 and that is what Arsenal need.

stokie_93

Tour Rookie
Visit site

I thought that Alex Iwobi looked a great prospect when playing last season, where as Akpom as pointed out above has not done an awful lot.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site

Is this the same Benzema who didn't get selected by France for the Euros so never played one minute.

Stick to Hockey mate your talking rubbish

Jates12

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Is this the same Benzema who didn't get selected by France for the Euros so never played one minute.

:rofl::rofl: Martial is a decent player and Arsenal could do with someone like him. If they wanted to win the league they would of gone all out and bought Higuain, Kante and a Centre Half and i reckon they would of walked it. But with their current squad they will struggle, again, for goals and finish 3rd or 4th.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site

We all know Benzema was left behind for non football reasons. As discussed on here a while ago I was told that Benzema would have played instead of Giroud.

I've never played hockey it's what girls play isn't it? ;-)

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Benzema would definitely get in the team ahead of Giroud and Martial, although tbf, Lacazette should have got in ahead of both of them too. Benzema was definitely not dropped for footballing reasons, he's class.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Breaking News:
James Milner (aka Mr Reliable) retires from international football.
Big Sam as no chance of succeeding now.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Sorry I don't get the point you are making.

18 successive years of CL is an achievement

Finishing top 4 is an achievement any year regardless of the points total. A lower points total indicates to me that the league was more competitive that year.

Some might actually argue that it was a bigger achievement finishing top 4 last year than in previous years for that reason.

No, qualifying isn't an achievement, actually winning it is an achievement.

We may not have been in it for 18 continuous years, but we've won it (when we probably shouldn't :D ), lost a final (that we probably should have won :angry: ) and won a Europa League :thup:. As opposed to being in it 18 continuous years :rolleyes: and losing one final.

I can tell you which I prefer. ;)

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
No, qualifying isn't an achievement, actually winning it is an achievement.

We may not have been in it for 18 continuous years, but we've won it (when we probably shouldn't :D ), lost a final (that we probably should have won :angry: ) and won a Europa League :thup:. As opposed to being in it 18 continuous years :rolleyes: and losing one final.

I can tell you which I prefer. ;)

Me too.

The lesser but genuine achievement and not the fake ones purchased with someone's millions. Null and void in my book.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Me too.

The lesser but genuine achievement and not the fake ones purchased with someone's millions. Null and void in my book.

Sorry Sean but that is the most perverse thing I've read from a football supporter. Really, you'd rather not win?

I am totally gobsmacked. So what's the difference between the purchases Arsenal have made, and those of Chelsea, Utd and City? There isn't a difference. Arsenal have just spent less, that's all. Irrespective of the spend, where's the ambition?

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Me too.

The squad might have been purchased with Abramovich's money, the achievement was earned by the players on the pitch, whether you like it or not, and to say otherwise demeans you, not them. The bitterness is palpable.

And again, an Arsenal fan bangs on about Chelsea's money whilst the Arsenal manager is quite prepared to up the price to sell to Chelsea. The hypocrisy is laughable.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sorry Sean but that is the most perverse thing I've read from a football supporter. Really, you'd rather not win?

I am totally gobsmacked. So what's the difference between the purchases Arsenal have made, and those of Chelsea, Utd and City? There isn't a difference. Arsenal have just spent less, that's all. Irrespective of the spend, where's the ambition?

Winning the right way is very important. I would absolutely hate it if a new man replaced Wenger and then used Kroenke's billions, started buying Pogba's for £100M and Messi's for £200M. I like it the way it is, spend the money we have from our football generated activities and see how far that gets us. If we win then great , it will be worth something. Buying the league would not make me happy.

There is a big difference between the Arsenal way and the Chelsea way (and City way) thank you very much.

Sorry if that sounds perverse but that's how I see it.

D

Deleted member 16999

Winning the right way is very important. I would absolutely hate it if a new man replaced Wenger and then used Kroenke's billions, started buying Pogba's for £100M and Messi's for £200M. I like it the way it is, spend the money we have from our football generated activities and see how far that gets us. If we win then great , it will be worth something. Buying the league would not make me happy.

There is a big difference between the Arsenal way and the Chelsea way (and City way) thank you very much.

:rofl: so the £250 Million and 4th highest spending in the PL over the last 5 years is OK but the 3 above is wrong, brilliant, you couldn't make it up.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site

If you had won the league you would have actually bought it just for a lot less money than some others and that's a fact.

Leicester have actually proved you don't need massive names with massive ego,s but I believe it wont happen again so either spend big or win very little if anything at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.