And, we're off.....2016/17

Status
Not open for further replies.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
In the last 10 years Arsneal have been 10 points, 12, 7, 16, 19, 12, 11, 18, 4, 21, 24 behind the winners.
Or 154 points.
Or 15.4 per season.

The fact you consider that challenging is the very crux of your problem. If you're seriously happy to just watch CL every season, then to a point i can respect that. But to continue to suggest that you have a chance of anything else just looks foolish.

Interesting how we view things differently, I see It that if Arsenal were to have won just 4 more games each season then they would have been champions 6 more times. Not even 4 games as we have tended to lose against the top 4 more often than not and those games are 6 pointers.

Fine margins indeed.

D

Deleted member 16999

Interesting how we view things differently, I see It that if Arsenal were to have won just 4 more games each season then they would have been champions 6 more times. Not even 4 games as we have tended to lose against the top 4 more often than not and those games are 6 pointers.

Fine margins indeed.
So it's not bad luck, it's your inability to contend with the teams around you, that must be the fault of the manager then, not having the tactical ability or building a good enough squad to beat your rivals.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site

Fine margins indeed.

I think if we looked into the results against the big teams it would show that's exactky where you do lose it. But those "just four wins" need to come from the teams that invariably win the league and that for me sums it up. You are far and away the safest bet for top 4 besue you team is full of very good players. Lose one an another replaces them. But not enough stars to win the league. The romantic in me would like to see Wenger win it once more and ride off into the sunset. My sensible head says unfortunately i think the pockets of noise will grow year on year.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think if we looked into the results against the big teams it would show that's exactky where you do lose it. But those "just four wins" need to come from the teams that invariably win the league and that for me sums it up. You are far and away the safest bet for top 4 besue you team is full of very good players. Lose one an another replaces them. But not enough stars to win the league. The romantic in me would like to see Wenger win it once more and ride off into the sunset. My sensible head says unfortunately i think the pockets of noise will grow year on year.

Yes but don't forget that the PL winners have (almost exclusively) come from Utd, City and Chelsea.

It really isn't a shock to lose out to those teams due to the imbalance in finances available to strengthen the team.

Real failure is when Arsenal consistently lose out to those outside the big 3.

Just our luck that a season where Wengers consistency gives us yet another chance (and have the beating of the big 3) a 5000/1 shot like Leicester put together something really special.

Now that you really can't make up.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Yes but don't forget that the PL winners have (almost exclusively) come from Utd, City and Chelsea.

It really isn't a shock to lose out to those teams due to the imbalance in finances available to strengthen the team.

Just our luck that a season where Wengers consistency gives us yet another chance (and have the beating of the big 3) a 5000/1 shot like Leicester put together something really special.

That really sums it up i'm afraid. Still believing it was your misfortune. Interestingly, if Leicester had performed as most would have expected then the likes of City and spurs would have gotten 5 more extra points and suddenly you're third in the league......

D

Deleted member 16999

Your points for runners up was one of the lowest ever and some seasons wouldn't of made top 4,
You were lucky the other big sides had bad seasons, not unlucky.

D

Deleted member 18588

But isn't the point that there is not that much of an imbalance in the finances available.

It is more a case of whether or not the Club (be it Wenger or the Board) are prepared to spend enough of those available funds to mount a serious challenge for the title.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Your points for runners up was one of the lowest ever and some seasons wouldn't of made top 4,
You were lucky the other big sides had bad seasons, not unlucky.

Comparing point totals from one season to another is pretty meaningless tbh.

It's a bit like comparing scores from 2 rounds of golf, one on a calm sunny day and another when it's cold, wet and windy.

D

Deleted member 16999

Comparing point totals from one season to another is pretty meaningless tbh.

It's a bit like comparing scores from 2 rounds of golf, one on a calm sunny day and another when it's cold, wet and windy.
Yet you bang on about 18yrs of CL football, :rofl:
You can't have it both ways using stats to back your point up, then denying them when they prove you wrong

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
That really sums it up i'm afraid. Still believing it was your misfortune. Interestingly, if Leicester had performed as most would have expected then the likes of City and spurs would have gotten 5 more extra points and suddenly you're third in the league......

I disagree, don't you think Spurs wanted to finish above Arsenal regardless if Spurs could catch Leicester? You're implying that both City and Spurs threw 5 points.

Lets be clear, Leicester were outstanding last year and swept the big clubs aside (except for Arsenal who managed to beat them home and away but I digress). Leicester deserved to win it!!

All I am saying is that they had the rub of the green when it came to injuries. Not moaning or being bitter just stating the fact.

Good luck to Leicester I say and but wish better fortune for Arsenal next season.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I have to say I am disappointed with Arsenal's activity in the transfer market yet again. went out and bought Xhaka nice and early but didn't push on.

Same old Higuain rubbish, Lacazzette being dragged out (if we want him we should have him already) , centre half needed to cover the beanpole.

Man united got their business done quickly apart from the pogba deal which seems to be done but not finalised due to the ridiculousness of the whole transfer.

We have money from last years window too so just spend it for heavens sake.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yet you bang on about 18yrs of CL football, :rofl:
You can't have it both ways using stats to back your point up, then denying them when they prove you wrong

Sorry I don't get the point you are making.

18 successive years of CL is an achievement

Finishing top 4 is an achievement any year regardless of the points total. A lower points total indicates to me that the league was more competitive that year.

Some might actually argue that it was a bigger achievement finishing top 4 last year than in previous years for that reason.

D

Deleted member 16999

Finishing top 4 is an achievement any year regardless of the points total. A lower points total indicates to me that the league was more competitive that year.

Some might actually argue that it was a bigger achievement finishing top 4 last year than in previous years for that reason.
I used previous seasons to prove my point and you said I can't compare one season against another as they are as diferent as 2 rounds of golf in diferent weather.
You then prove your point by using 18 previous seasons.
Either you can or you can't use previous seasons. You can't pick and choose which stats are ok and which are not.
18 consecutive seasons is outstanding and something I could dream of Everton doing, luckily your low points tally from last season kept the run going as in previous years 71 points wouldn't of got you CL Football.

D

Deleted member 15344

It maybe an achievement but it's not a success to celebrate - there is no trophy to parade around the city , no medals for the players , no final for the fans to enjoy

I'm not sure if you are trying to persuade yourself that there is no issues right now with Arsenal or persuade everyone else

If Arsenal don't win it appears it's because of - injuries and money

When a team does win with a squad that is weaker than Arsenals it's all down to good fortune

Arsenal every single year at the same point every single year fall apart - Jan through to March - they normally go from leading to fighting for a top 4 and fall out of the CL at the same stage ever single year - you can keep celebrating making CL but it's hollow when the club is just a bystander

If Wenger is the genuis you portray then why hasn't he tackled this - why hasn't he gone out and bought players that will cover all these injuries , why does he persist with the injured players , why does he persist without a clear goalscorer or dominating CB and then have some depth behind , why does he continuely lose to the other big teams - it's a decade plus now of it happening

Arsenal are one of the biggest clubs in the world - surely you and they want more that to just qualify. The reason why Arsenal aren't winning the title or at the very least taking it to the last week and getting into CL is because of the manager - he will not change he way of working and thinking which is safety first but it doesn't win titles. Arsenal have a lovely brand new shiny stadium - shame it's empty of top titles

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
I used previous seasons to prove my point and you said I can't compare one season against another as they are as diferent as 2 rounds of golf in diferent weather.
You then prove your point by using 18 previous seasons.
Either you can or you can't use previous seasons. You can't pick and choose which stats are ok and which are not.
18 consecutive seasons is outstanding and something I could dream of Everton doing, luckily your low points tally from last season kept the run going as in previous years 71 points wouldn't of got you CL Football.

Sorry but I still don't get what you mean.

Top 4 with 60 points one year is worth the same as 80 points in another. It's all relative surely?

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site

Fine margins indeed.

Papas quoted actual figures, facts. And you answer it with might have beens, fairy tales.

I think it was Einstein who said something like, if you continue to do something the same way you're going to get the same result.

What do you think Arsenal need to do to to win something? And that's what do Arsenal need to do, not what do you need the other clubs to do, like lose.

As things stand, Arsenal will continue to entertain, but where is that final, orgasmic trophy win/buzz going to come from?

Being satisfied with second best is very, very poor.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Why are people SO bothered about where Arsenal finish in the league?
The longer they go without winning the league the better.

D

Deleted member 16999

Sorry but I still don't get what you mean.

Top 4 with 60 points one year is worth the same as 80 points in another. It's all relative surely?

The point is, you keep saying you's are unlucky, facts show you were very lucky, other teams having a bad season masked your issues.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
The point is, you keep saying you's are unlucky, facts show you were very lucky, other teams having a bad season masked your issues.

Other teams that found it difficult in a tough season. Arsenal finished above these teams yet we have the issues? That's a very strange perspective.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
The best thing for Arsenal would be to finish 5th at best.
Then maybe, and only maybe, they'll wake up and smell the whiff of failure .............................. and do something about it!

Status
Not open for further replies.