And, we're off.....2016/17

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 1740

Nar mate, he did dip slightly but only a foot or so. Mee's foot was still high and dangerous, and did make contact.

Enough for him to go to ground holding his face?

I think it's unfair that player A can stoop to head the ball yet player B can't raise his foot. Not just today but across the game.

Not for me from the angle I saw it. His reaction won that pen imo.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Enough for him to go to ground holding his face?

I think it's unfair that player A can stoop to head the ball yet player B can't raise his foot. Not just today but across the game.

Not for me from the angle I saw it. His reaction won that pen imo.

I cant remember if it did hit his face, but you are allowed to dip to win a header.

I know what you mean if someone heads it 3 foot off the ground, but this wasnt.

It was a scorpion/scissor kick to the head. :)

Last edited:

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
I cant remember if it did hit his face, but you are allowed o dip o win a header.

I know what you mean if someone heads it 3 foot off the ground, but this wasnt.

It was a scorpion/scissor kick to the head. :)

I just don't get how a high foot by a defender is dangerous play, but if a striker does a bucycle kick his foot is higher and yet never called as a foul.

My 2 cents is that both can easily be deemed a pens. Arsenals was the lucky one as officials missed the offside.

D

Deleted member 16999

And thats your first mistake. Dont take a players/managers reaction to be a litmus test for if a decision is right.

Arsenal's one should have been given as offside first, but once it wasnt it was a foul, so a pen.
The managers interviews were afterwards, first look from my armchair the Burnley player went looking for the pen and dived over his leg, Arsenals was a pen all day at first look, Dyce was upset that it wasn't flagged for offside, but once again it takes freeze frame TV to prove it and we blame the linesman for missing it.

D

Deleted member 16999

I just don't get how a high foot by a defender is dangerous play, but if a striker does a bucycle kick his foot is higher and yet never called as a foul.

My 2 cents is that both can easily be deemed a pens. Arsenals was the lucky one as officials missed the offside.
Didn't someone get penalised last season for a scissor kick as a defenders head was close, was it Norwich?

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Genuine question, does Liverpool have just the one bus company or two? My mum used to always make us wait for the red buses (blue ones went funny routes)!

joing aside, do you think you need a striker? I know firminio got a double, but to me when the game was close and Swansea seemed happy for the draw, much like against us in cup. You seemed to lack someone in the box. Countless times you went down the wings and got crosses in, but let's be honest, coutinho and lallana aren't gonna win to many headers.

congrats btw Phil!

What years you talking, when I was a lad they were green.

Firmino has done a great job when played centrally this season. Whereas he was great on the wing last year, when hes been put back out there this season, he hasnt been as effective.

I think its time to give up on Sturridge though. Origi is streaky, but recently has taken to running down blind alleys, or holding onto the ball too long.

Danny Ings - bad luck doesnt cut it for him.

Some rely on a central striker getting them 20 plus goals, but ours are spread round better, but a Suarez/Costa/Kane in our team at the mo, would be great. A goalscorer who can hold it up, as well as bring others into it also.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

It is if he boots someone in the head or upper body.

I know what you mean about the strikers getting away with it at times, but the relevant point is if anyone else is touched or at least in the close vicinity.

D

Deleted member 16999

The Club statement confirmed he's in a stable condition, so hopefully signs are good.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Definite penalty for Burnley. Got lucky there on the end.

The standard of the top teams is poor again this year. Chelsea definitely the pick of the bunch as they are tight enough at the back, good cover with kante and matic on front and buzzing options going forward with Costa the cherry on top.

Things change very quickly in football and there is plenty of games to come between the top teams. We need Chelsea to have a shock defeat to really make it interesting.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Definite penalty for Burnley. Got lucky there on the end.

The standard of the top teams is poor again this year. Chelsea definitely the pick of the bunch as they are tight enough at the back, good cover with kante and matic on front and buzzing options going forward with Costa the cherry on top.

Things change very quickly in football and there is plenty of games to come between the top teams. We need Chelsea to have a shock defeat to really make it interesting.

Next up for Chelsea are Liverpool and Arsenal. It really isn't beyond the realms of possibility to lose both those games and then the gap at the top will only be 2.

Long way to go yet.

anotherdouble

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Next up for Chelsea are Liverpool and Arsenal. It really isn't beyond the realms of possibility to lose both those games and then the gap at the top will only be 2.

Long way to go yet.

Or we could beat Arsenal. 11 points clear and it could be groundhog days all over again for a certain part of North London and roll on 2017-2018 league season

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Or we could beat Arsenal. 11 points clear and it could be groundhog days all over again for a certain part of North London and roll on 2017-2018 league season

Chances are Liverpool and/or Arsenal will take some points of Chelsea between them.

And Spurs are not too far away too with probably the best run in from the lot of us.

Status
Not open for further replies.