And, we're off.....2016/17

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Chances are Liverpool and/or Arsenal will take some points of Chelsea between them.

I think Cahill alluded to that in his after match interview stating that the 3 points against Hull were extremely important to maintain and have as good a buffer with a few tough games coming up.

There's no doubt that Chelsea could drop some points over those tough games or even after, but by the same token Arsenal, Spurs and/or L'pool don't have it in them to go unbeaten the remainder of the season either! It's one thing reducing a points gap when teams at the top play each other and another expecting the team at the top to lose to much lesser positioned clubs whilst those in the hunt go unbeaten!

D

Deleted member 16999

I think it will have a positive effect on the team, it can be a bit calm and relaxed at times I think it will help instill a bit of siege mentality.
It's a strange one for me, maybe it is a bit safe at times, said a few times I'd happily swap your last 10 seasons for ours, however, as an Everton fan the only time I care about you's is twice a season when we play each other.
It must be frustrating as an Arsenal fan as over those 10 years you have probably been 1 or 2 players away from winning the PL a couple of times, I think you'll have a couple of interesting years ahead and were you'll be if and when Arsene retires,

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I think it will have a positive effect on the team, it can be a bit calm and relaxed at times I think it will help instill a bit of siege mentality.

Whether he's on the bench or in the stands, what's the difference, it's not like he barks out any orders from the touch line, ever!

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's a strange one for me, maybe it is a bit safe at times, said a few times I'd happily swap your last 10 seasons for ours, however, as an Everton fan the only time I care about you's is twice a season when we play each other.
It must be frustrating as an Arsenal fan as over those 10 years you have probably been 1 or 2 players away from winning the PL a couple of times, I think you'll have a couple of interesting years ahead and were you'll be if and when Arsene retires,

It's credit to Wenger that Arsenal even competed as well as they did in those 10 years.

I don't look back and see failure I honestly don't. I celebrate the fact that we managed to move stadium, built a new training complex and yet stay in touch with the top end of the table.

Now is the time that Arsenal can kick on, we're not as hamstrung as before and can expect big money signings when the right player comes available.

My glass is well and truly half full.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
I think Cahill alluded to that in his after match interview stating that the 3 points against Hull were extremely important to maintain and have as good a buffer with a few tough games coming up.

There's no doubt that Chelsea could drop some points over those tough games or even after, but by the same token Arsenal, Spurs and/or L'pool don't have it in them to go unbeaten the remainder of the season either! It's one thing reducing a points gap when teams at the top play each other and another expecting the team at the top to lose to much lesser positioned clubs whilst those in the hunt go unbeaten!

Spot on,I honestly don't see Arsenal,Spurs & Liverpool improving much.
Theyre currently playing at their level & none of them have what it takes to win the league.
City can obviously improve but they're too far back now imo.
I can only see UTD improving under Mourinho,but top 4 is all they can hope for this season.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Whether he's on the bench or in the stands, what's the difference, it's not like he barks out any orders from the touch line, ever!

When we have weekends like the last one that we had a part of me wonders if this could be our year.

We took 6 points from Burnley and our play fully deserved it, however it could easily have been 2 if not for a couple of minutes.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Spot on,I honestly don't see Arsenal,Spurs & Liverpool improving much.
Theyre currently playing at their level & none of them have what it takes to win the league.
City can obviously improve but they're too far back now imo.
I can only see UTD improving under Mourinho,but top 4 is all they can hope for this season.

Not many would have predicted that Liverpool drop 7 points in 3 games (against the likes of Swansea and Sunderland.)

It happens and Chelsea aren't unbeatable as Spurs showed a few weeks ago.

Arsenal are not at full tilt but are still picking up wins.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Not many would have predicted that Liverpool drop 7 points in 3 games (against the likes of Swansea and Sunderland.) .

I did and have a bet running that there's more points to drop still as they fall from grace and out of the top 4 😜

D

Deleted member 16999

It's credit to Wenger that Arsenal even competed as well as they did in those 10 years.

I don't look back and see failure I honestly don't. I celebrate the fact that we managed to move stadium, built a new training complex and yet stay in touch with the top end of the table.

Now is the time that Arsenal can kick on, we're not as hamstrung as before and can expect big money signings when the right player comes available.

Didn't use the word failure or criticise Wenger, asked if there was an element of frustration, a player signed 3 or 4 years ago against paying off the Stadium 1 year later, other teams have undoubtebly got stronger, we use to have a 2 horse title race, then 4, now 6.
Chelsea have a nice gap and 2-6 is very close.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
When we have weekends like the last one that we had a part of me wonders if this could be our year.

We took 6 points from Burnley and our play fully deserved it, however it could easily have been 2 if not for a couple of minutes.

a 97th minute winner against pretty much the worst away side in the league, and 2 central midfielders proving how ineffective and dumb they are, yep looked like its gonna be our year to me too lol

that or we lose in the next round of the CL and finish 4th in the league

you ever watched groundhog day?

D

Deleted member 15344

And how many major trophies in that same period ?

Every year you say the same thing about - kicking on , not being hamstrung ( have you seen how much Arsenal have spent over the last 5 years ) , expect big signings but it's the same result at the end of the season.

When is it the time for more than that ?

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Not many would have predicted that Liverpool drop 7 points in 3 games (against the likes of Swansea and Sunderland.)

It happens and Chelsea aren't unbeatable as Spurs showed a few weeks ago.

Arsenal are not at full tilt but are still picking up wins.

Spurs away was always going to be tough.
But other teams didn't capitalze.
Like Fish said,none of the other teams in contention are capable of going unbeaten.
You'll make top 4 and that's about it 😬

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
And how many major trophies in that same period ?

Every year you say the same thing about - kicking on , not being hamstrung ( have you seen how much Arsenal have spent over the last 5 years ) , expect big signings but it's the same result at the end of the season.

When is it the time for more than that ?

Arsenal might win the league this year, why not?

Still in the CL as well.

Granted only 1 team can win the PL and there will be a few disappointed teams but that's life.

You were talking up Liverpool only a few games ago have you given up on them?

D

Deleted member 15344

Arsenal might win the league this year, why not?

Still in the CL as well.

Granted only 1 team can win the PL and there will be a few disappointed teams but that's life.

You were talking up Liverpool only a few games ago have you given up on them?

Arsenal won't win the league and they won't win the CL - it will be the exact same ending as the last ten seasons.

I still think we will finish in the Top 4 - think Chelsea have too big a gap and the teams around don't have the consistency to close that gap

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Spurs away was always going to be tough.
But other teams didn't capitalze.
Like Fish said,none of the other teams in contention are capable of going unbeaten.
You'll make top 4 and that's about it 😬

Mate, Fish wrote off Spurs and United top 4 chances back in November. To say that a team cannot go on a run is really quite silly. United are on a run now aren't they?

Status
Not open for further replies.