American golf double value trade in

groundskeeperwilly

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
exactly why they ending it

the masters is the unofficial start of the season.. boost their sales they no longer need this to encourage people to buy as season is now in full swing

down range was packed today all bays at 13:00

where were these people in January when I was the only one there

Yeah I get that but from what I heard from staff previously its an aggressive move on other retailers. So if they continued over Masters Week/Weekend would surely give them majority of the yearly sales Vs DirectGolf, Nevada Bobs etc and make them the automatic choice for Joe Public after he's bought his gear on the amazing double deal he'll keep going back?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yeah I get that but from what I heard from staff previously its an aggressive move on other retailers. So if they continued over Masters Week/Weekend would surely give them majority of the yearly sales Vs DirectGolf, Nevada Bobs etc and make them the automatic choice for Joe Public after he's bought his gear on the amazing double deal he'll keep going back?

end of the tax year now though , no need to boost the books anymore

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
end of the tax year now though , no need to boost the books anymore
The end of the tax year has no relevance to a limited company like AG.

What would be interesting to know is how they value all the second hand stock they hold at their year end. If it's included at cost then AG's profits might look quite healthy with the margins made on sales aided by the double value deal. If they're honest & write down the stock to what it will realistically realise it could be a different story.

pool888

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Offer now removed from their website, all good things come to an end. Will be interesting to see how their new trade in prices compare.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Was in AG today and, Boy, have they got some 2nd hand gear to shift...!!!
And at prices that nobody is going to pay.
Just as an example - they had 2 Cally GBB fairways in the 2nd hand bin, obviously traded in on the double deal, going for £129 each
Unfortunately, 20 feet away, they were selling them New for £119...😁😝
They have so many sets of irons that they put out just the 7 iron with a description of the set - must have 30-40 sets....
They're going to take some shifting...

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Was in AG today and, Boy, have they got some 2nd hand gear to shift...!!!
And at prices that nobody is going to pay.
Just as an example - they had 2 Cally GBB fairways in the 2nd hand bin, obviously traded in on the double deal, going for £129 each
Unfortunately, 20 feet away, they were selling them New for £119...😁😝
They have so many sets of irons that they put out just the 7 iron with a description of the set - must have 30-40 sets....
They're going to take some shifting...

Obviously they're selling high the now but there will probably be a few cracking 2nd hand deals in a couple of months

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
What would be interesting to know is how they value all the second hand stock they hold at their year end. If it's included at cost then AG's profits might look quite healthy with the margins made on sales aided by the double value deal. If they're honest & write down the stock to what it will realistically realise it could be a different story.

This is a great point. Many large companies hide losses by giving false values on assets, land assets are a good one for this. I would guess they will use the artificially high values this year and then the company has a year to shift that stock. The truth will out at some stage.

Crawley1981

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Double was no longer on offer in the Purley store today and looks like they are not using pga.com anymore. My mizuno ez was showing £100 last week and I only got £76 today. Stupid me should of waited as golf bidder come back with a better offer but after a round with the epic demo at the golf club this morning I wanted rid of the Mizuno quickly.

Ian_Bristol

Head Pro
Visit site
I was lucky and got a new Scotty 7M and only cost me £101 after they gave me £198 for my Scotty fastback, when I picked it up on Monday they did try asking for £30 extra as the 7M is £329 but price matched when I said Clubhousegolf are doing it for £299.
Happy days.

mozza25

Medal Winner
Visit site
Can't keep it going, they are losing a fortune. They are having to mark down the second hand gear to sell it, so when they do finally sell it they would have made no profit. In the meantime they have no cash flow. Plus titleist were refusing to stock them and other brands were looking to follow. Wouldn't be surprised to see them go bust soon.

mozza25

Medal Winner
Visit site
They make £82 profit when they sell an epic at £429. If they trade in a driver for £150 they haven't taken enough money to cover the cost of the driver. When they eventually sell it for £99 theu have made £31 profit. Which is 8% Margin

El Diablo

Assistant Pro
Visit site
£429 less vat is £357. They cost £275, hence £82 profit

I always expected the promo to finish with their financial year end which was towards the end of January when I checked out their financials.

Go to companies house beta and look up their annual accounts https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/01720832/filing-history - gross margins quoted is far higher (39.4%) for prior year.

Going through the holding companies data is interesting as well especially the interest rate on the loan for working capital purposes and how quickly it can be called in.

Given the accounts to year end January 2016 were published June 6th, I await with interest the next set of accounts if published about the same time with the promo period included.

elmoag

Club Champion
Visit site
Hi everyone
Good to see this thread is still very much alive its epic.
As you all know Golfs best value trade in continues Instore now
Be great to see some of you come along to our golf show 7th-9th of April at the excel centre in London
It's totally free and a chance to try all the big brands and have a fun day out. Give me a shout if you do
Be great to meet some of you
Failing that we have 2 new stores opening in the south in the next 2 weeks to bring a better service to the golfers of Eastbourne and Bournemouth

Any questions re anything AG please message me through the forum anytime if I can be of any assistance

Thanks

Last edited:

shivas irons

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I was told by one of the guys at my local AG that they have been told if they make just £1 do the deal and thats not just the promo....chap I know wanted a set of secondhand clubs on their rack that were up for £89,he offered £60 and was told that they traded them in for £63 and he could have them for £64 thus making their pound :confused:.