American golf double value trade in

BrizoH71

Tour Rookie
brianhealy.net
Popped in today on my way back from playing at our place and they had some new stock in.

Had a quick hit with the demo Benross HTX Type R 7-iron and the driver in the same range, which I was really impressed with. Trade in value on my gear is £335, the driver is on sale at £99 and the irons are £379 in store, but Online Golf has them on offer currently for £199. The standard HTX are £199 in both.

Wasn't able to get any numbers on the irons as the fitting bay was full, and while I liked the driver the store only had it in stiff so I want to try the regular and see the data. The guy at AG couldn't have been more helpful, but the earliest he can get the gear in for me to try would be Wednesday. I'm away Wednesday, but I've booked in for Thursday to try and get some numbers, but I've now found out the AG sale ends on Tuesday so I'd me looking at full-price through AG unless Online Golf's prices stay as-is beyond Thursday.. assuming I decide to buy that is!

My own fault for dragging my heels i suppose.

Maybe I just try to drive too hard a bargain, but I don't think AG will be getting any further custom from me after they tried to undercut me yesterday.

Went back on Thursday for a fitting on the irons and to work out the driver shaft, whether stiff or regular, and agreed in principle to buy both with the excess £35 going towards a gap-wedge with me paying the difference. The Type-R irons are 379 in AG, but 199 on sister-company Onlinegolf; but because they don't offer a CF option then AG couldn't pricematch on my fit - 2 upright - and suggested the stock set which they would bend and could price-match. Fair enough.

They would have to order them in, along with the driver (HTX in 12 stiff). Then they decided to knock £40 off the trade-in value because my 7-iron is slightly scraped on the sole, and there is a slight sky-mark on the driver. This despite the guy on Sunday already valuing the sticks having seen them, he didn't think either were bad enough to reduce the value. Explained all this but guy wouldn't budge: 'We can't give you credit on the surplus' was all he would repeat like some automaton, and 'Sunday guy misvalued your clubs. Nothing else we can do.'

So from having a £35 surplus which was half-a-wedge purchase, I was going to be down a fiver before I'd even looked at a wedge. Called a halt to it there and took my gear away.

Won't be back, second time that particular AG has tried to stiff me on a sale. Maybe I just expect too much, but felt a bit disappointed in their attitude.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Maybe I just try to drive too hard a bargain, but I don't think AG will be getting any further custom from me after they tried to undercut me yesterday.

Went back on Thursday for a fitting on the irons and to work out the driver shaft, whether stiff or regular, and agreed in principle to buy both with the excess £35 going towards a gap-wedge with me paying the difference. The Type-R irons are 379 in AG, but 199 on sister-company Onlinegolf; but because they don't offer a CF option then AG couldn't pricematch on my fit - 2 upright - and suggested the stock set which they would bend and could price-match. Fair enough.

They would have to order them in, along with the driver (HTX in 12 stiff). Then they decided to knock £40 off the trade-in value because my 7-iron is slightly scraped on the sole, and there is a slight sky-mark on the driver. This despite the guy on Sunday already valuing the sticks having seen them, he didn't think either were bad enough to reduce the value. Explained all this but guy wouldn't budge: 'We can't give you credit on the surplus' was all he would repeat like some automaton, and 'Sunday guy misvalued your clubs. Nothing else we can do.'

So from having a £35 surplus which was half-a-wedge purchase, I was going to be down a fiver before I'd even looked at a wedge. Called a halt to it there and took my gear away.

Won't be back, second time that particular AG has tried to stiff me on a sale. Maybe I just expect too much, but felt a bit disappointed in their attitude.

I was always told they couldnt price match online golf (was only retailer they wouldnt price match) prob because its a sister company

the no surplus rule it right tho I traded in some clubs and had £35 spare they said id loose it so I took a 2 iron out the set and it reduced the trade in by £40 (I just gave them £5 and sold the 2 iron for £31 on ebay after fees)

it sounds like they were doing alright for you tbh they said they would bend the clubs so you could get a price match which is pretty decent

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site

As far as I'm aware, you don't get to use the excess on another club. So the Sunday guy was clearly wrong.

Ive been into the same store and had different offers, I just wait till I get the value I expect. That said, the seven iron probably shouldn't have changed the value, but a sky mark would certainly get a lower offer imo.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I was always told they couldnt price match online golf (was only retailer they wouldnt price match) prob because its a sister company

the no surplus rule it right tho I traded in some clubs and had £35 spare they said id loose it so I took a 2 iron out the set and it reduced the trade in by £40 (I just gave them £5 and sold the 2 iron for £31 on ebay after fees)

it sounds like they were doing alright for you tbh they said they would bend the clubs so you could get a price match which is pretty decent

My store absolutely priced match against Online Golf for me recently

gmhubble

Head Pro
Visit site
My local store has always matched online golf

The Managers have all just returned from a two day sales conference so maybe they have just received new guidelines?

shivas irons

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site

My local AG told me they wouldnt price match Golf Depot,doesent that defeat their whole price match policy?

Chaddy

Medal Winner
Visit site
My local store has always matched online golf

The Managers have all just returned from a two day sales conference so maybe they have just received new guidelines?

I have noted that they are being a lot stricter about any clubs deemed to be in a poor condition even if it is only one club out of a iron set, they now reduce value against PGA value guide.

corrupthalo

Medal Winner
Visit site
Got a great deal last night. Got £20 more for my irons than I paid for them 3 years ago. Ordered the HTX Type R irons which they price matched to the online golf price of £199. Used a £50 gift voucher I had that I was struggling to use and in the end the irons cost me £30.

Very happy

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have noted that they are being a lot stricter about any clubs deemed to be in a poor condition even if it is only one club out of a iron set, they now reduce value against PGA value guide.

I think they are having to be stricter about the clubs they take considering the sheer volume of people trading in

I could be wrong about the price match I cant remember which one they told me they wouldnt match

tbh I agree with shivas irons , if they have a price match policy they cant not price match a company.. they have before said they wont price match companies in jersey for example which is fair enough (think jam golf and halpeny golf were the two they wouldnt touch once)

but they have prob been told to knock off what they can on the irons. profits could be taking a dive lol

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Two months to get a wedge from America :confused:
Went to AG today asked the guy instead of waiting until 2nd March ( 2 months)for glide wedges if I paid the extra for the Glide 2 how much.
He just said NO .
he said trade in on wedges has stopped so he would have to cancel first order and start again .
that would only give me £22.50 each for a mcdaddy 3 set of 52/56/60.
Seems silly if someone is offering to spend more cash to say no.

shivas irons

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Went to AG today asked the guy instead of waiting until 2nd March ( 2 months)for glide wedges if I paid the extra for the Glide 2 how much.
He just said NO .
he said trade in on wedges has stopped so he would have to cancel first order and start again .
that would only give me £22.50 each for a mcdaddy 3 set of 52/56/60.
Seems silly if someone is offering to spend more cash to say no.

No trade in on wedges :confused:they are messing you about mate.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
See post #1193
They have already done a deal for my wedges so they will get my wedges in a trade in weather I get the original model or the Glide 2 .
but it makes no sense to turn down more money when they will get my wedges anyway.
As he told me they will honour the original deal.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
They have already done a deal for my wedges so they will get my wedges in a trade in weather I get the original model or the Glide 2 .
but it makes no sense to turn down more money when they will get my wedges anyway.
As he told me they will honour the original deal.

I can see where their coming from if most of the order is here and just waiting one bit they will still have those 2 that have arrived to sell on at a loss because the price will have fallen after the new wedges came out

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I can see where their coming from if most of the order is here and just waiting one bit they will still have those 2 that have arrived to sell on at a loss because the price will have fallen after the new wedges came out
they were only £69 in the sale that's why I went for them .
Ag would make more money not ping as its them holding it up.
no heads aparantly but are they going to make more I am a bit sceptical.
why make more of an old model.
when they took my order they obviously never checked the stock availability.
to be honest I am expecting a call "sorry we can't fulfill this order."

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
they were only £69 in the sale that's why I went for them .
Ag would make more money not ping as its them holding it up.
no heads aparantly but are they going to make more I am a bit sceptical.
why make more of an old model.
when they took my order they obviously never checked the stock availability.
to be honest I am expecting a call "sorry we can't fulfill this order."

Ah I see , I would guess their not making new heads their checking all the stocks everywhere ready to recall one from one of their stockists

your right you will prob get a call