Am I right to feel a bit miffed..?

evemccc

Visit site
I booked a round (at a special offer) at an unnamed famous course this time last year (for end of February 2021). It obviously had to be postponed due to Covid. So, in early February I transferred the money paid to a new booking, for this November…I was told I had to pay an extra £30 for the new price.

Just seen the course website this evening, as I was checking their catering offered and practice facilities, and I see a new Special Offer for £20 LESS than I paid for the same dates (winter rate) that I am due to play.

So, in total £10 more than I originally paid, but £20 less than I was asked to pay for the new price

Surely this ‘famous’ course should refund me £20 back?

evemccc

Visit site
Phone and ask them. But, is it any different to any flight you go on where someone paid less than you?

Yes I’m going to.

Yes…I think it is different. The only seller for a single green fee is the course itself; in February it said the new price for November is £XX plus 30quid. Clearly it isn’t though, as we get close to November, the only price listed is £XX plus 10 quid

I could have got a full refund in February and had the money in my bank account, and then booked for November and it would be £20 cheaper. That can’t be right

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Is this any different to buying something then the price of said item drops a few days later?
Ask politely by all means, but I think the term "miffed" is a little strong.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think "miffed" is quite mild. I think the poster would have put it a lot stronger if rules allowed. Also, I agree with them. I'd fire off a strongly worded e mail to whoever sorts the bookings and ask for a refund down to what is currently being advertised.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I agree with those who say this is tough luck. In February they set a price which they thought they could sell all slots. Now they realise they can’t sell the slots so dropped the price. Same with a lot of businesses and quite normal practice

D

Deleted member 29109

I think "miffed" is quite mild. I think the poster would have put it a lot stronger if rules allowed. Also, I agree with them. I'd fire off a strongly worded e mail to whoever sorts the bookings and ask for a refund down to what is currently being advertised.

Or be a reasonable adult and give them a call tonsee if they will refund the difference!

Which is what the OP should have done rather than posting about being 'miffed' on here.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I suspect I know the course and had a similar thing occur to me, covid meaning a rearrangement that incurs an increase. I didn't check the current price before I went, didn't think about it in all honesty.

As it's a prestigious course then I think it is worth a call and I suspect they would meet you part way, either in a refund to match the lower price or money to spend in the clubhouse. Clubs of that standing are all about service and keeping the customer happy, not getting one over someone.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
I often book my annual holiday around about this time, 9 months in advance.
I pay a premium price for the privilege of getting exactly what I want in terms of flights, rooms etc knowing full well that come June the company may well have dropped the price by hundreds of pounds.
Conversely, there have been many occasions when the holiday price has increased, or more likely it has sold out on those dates. In these instances it justifies my early booking. In the case of price drops, I take it on the chin.
What would your reaction been if you had looked on the site and discovered that the course had increased their prices beyond what you had paid, offered them a refund of the difference?

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Or be a reasonable adult and give them a call tonsee if they will refund the difference!

Which is what the OP should have done rather than posting about being 'miffed' on here.

I don’t think so, he has asked for advice, some he will like, some he won’t. Surely that’s the point of a forum. Asking for advice and opinions ?

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
We had a problem with Ripon GC a few years back. We were travelling from Northumberland to Notts and asked on here for decent clubs halfway. We choose Ripon. We called, asked for a price ( £30) and booked a tee time. Turned up a couple of hours later and went to pay. They said they had quoted the wrong price over the phone and it was actually £40. We were livid. But what do you do. It was to late to go elsewhere.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I often book my annual holiday around about this time, 9 months in advance.
I pay a premium price for the privilege of getting exactly what I want in terms of flights, rooms etc knowing full well that come June the company may well have dropped the price by hundreds of pounds.
Conversely, there have been many occasions when the holiday price has increased, or more likely it has sold out on those dates. In these instances it justifies my early booking. In the case of price drops, I take it on the chin.
What would your reaction been if you had looked on the site and discovered that the course had increased their prices beyond what you had paid, offered them a refund of the difference?
Don't forget, the hotel/course has had his money for x months, in my case 18 months. They were desperate for people not to claim refunds, many would have collapsed had every customer wanted their money back. He 'gave' something by leaving his money with them, time for them to show a little thanks back.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Not too similar situation with Royal Ashdown Forest - we had our work society booked in 2019 but it got delayed then COVID struck and then they offered us August just gone BUT they charged us an extra £20 for summer rates, which considering what we were paying was not debated. Then comes the day we were meant to play and sods law it was the day that Poseidon decided to dump the ocean on the south east and we got rained off!
We are now booked in for November and the excess we paid has been offered either behind the bar or as refund. I'm not driving that day so want it behind the bar!

I think it's reasonable to at least ask the club about the difference - if you don't ask you don't know!

Good luck in any case

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
They probably only decided on the new offer much more recently than your booking and probably haven't really thought about existing bookings. A quick call asking for your booking to be offered the new deal would probably be accepted without objection.

D

Deleted member 29109

I don’t think so, he has asked for advice, some he will like, some he won’t. Surely that’s the point of a forum. Asking for advice and opinions ?

That is the point of a forum, and I keep forgetting that golf is a game for grumpy old men looking for reasons to be miffed ?.

I could understand if the club had been contacted and refused to give any kind of refund.

evemccc

Visit site

1) If you’ve a problem with the thread topic then you should consider that there have been plenty of inane threads on here.

2) I have literally already stated that I intend to call them

3) re: ‘miffed’ — ever heard of understatement? (Esp on a forum in which swearing is banned)

4) Be a reasonable adult who uses a generally helpful golf forum on the internet - and don’t let your own frustrations seep into your (condescending) posts

D

Deleted member 29109

1) If you’ve a problem with the thread topic then you should consider that there have been plenty of inane threads on here.

2) I have literally already stated that I intend to call them

3) re: ‘miffed’ — ever heard of understatement? (Esp on a forum in which swearing is banned)

4) Be a reasonable adult who uses a generally helpful golf forum on the internet - and don’t let your own frustrations seep into your (condescending) posts

See. Now that's miffed.

What did they say about giving you a refund?

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
I can see why one might be "miffed" but wouldnt really expect the (or "a") refund.

After all, it is pretty common for businesses to market & sell their "product" at one price, then realise not enough customers have taken it up, and so offer lowers cost deals to get more interest. But those that did take it up originally dont usually get the "difference" back. But by the same argument, they really ought not have asked for the extra £30 in the first place.

As others have said, you can but ask.