Aimpoint

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
i've never been secretive about it. i've taught it to a number of people. its not rocket science, and the fact of the matter is, you yourself use the large majority of the aimpoint concept. Only difference is, you gauge the break based on your feel rather than attributing the scientific element of it.

Explaining it on here would largely be to defend it rather than for a knowledge share. If someone wants to create a thread that is locked to comments where i explain it i would more than happily do it. it would take about 2 paragraphs.

Now that is interesting if it's that short. Care to share via PM?

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
So you obviously never miss a putt!

On the contrary I miss loads, but I miss a hell of a lot less than I used to. Last round I played I sunk a 40 feet and a 45 feet putt, took the read of the slope, got my line and made the putts. When I miss and I do, it's because I've not got the speed of the green right, leaving some short, on line but short.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
i've never been secretive about it. i've taught it to a number of people. its not rocket science, and the fact of the matter is, you yourself use the large majority of the aimpoint concept. Only difference is, you gauge the break based on your feel rather than attributing the scientific element of it.

Explaining it on here would largely be to defend it rather than for a knowledge share. If someone wants to create a thread that is locked to comments where i explain it i would more than happily do it. it would take about 2 paragraphs.

I've done the same as well and happy to give an explanation to anyone. There's also quite a few Utube videos on the subject. I just wish that people wouldn't tell me that tthere's no merit, ie snake oil, to it because I think all those who have done it won't agree. If it's done anything for me its stopped me from being fooled by greens that slope differently than the surrounding ground appears to - others might not have this problem, I did

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
And through your knowledge In finding that percentage, gives you the number you need, and knowing the amount of arm bend, if doing AE, will give you your aimpoint for that break. But like I've said in the past on this subject to all the detractors of it, you can have the most complex, scientific gadgetry to calculate the break, whether it's your fingers, toes, feet, elbow, eyes and brain, it's no good if you don't start your putt online and with good speed.

Indeed, if you hit a putt hard enough you can take out any break the putt has, but the chances are that due to the speed the ball will fly the hole, lip out or canon off the hole. Aimpoint gives someone the ability to read the slope or gradient and if, there is always an if because Aimpoint does not guarantee 100% success, that person starts the ball on the correct line at an appropriate speed the ball will drop. Getting the line and speed correct come from practice, get the feel for the slope under your feet comes from practice.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Indeed, if you hit a putt hard enough you can take out any break the putt has, but the chances are that due to the speed the ball will fly the hole, lip out or canon off the hole. Aimpoint gives someone the ability to read the slope or gradient and if, there is always an if because Aimpoint does not guarantee 100% success, that person starts the ball on the correct line at an appropriate speed the ball will drop. Getting the line and speed correct come from practice, get the feel for the slope under your feet comes from practice.

I've just said the same to Val in a DM

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
Can anyone tell which top ranking golfers are using this method? The only one I've seen using it is Adam Scott and he's ranked 44.

I'm not knocking the method either, if anyone thinks it benefits there game and improves their putting the wire in, however Jacko makes a key point in this and it's user input. It doesn't matter how good you are at reading greens by what ever method you use, if your own technique is poor then you'll miss more than you will hole out.

There are a few women golfers who use it Lydia Ko, Stacey Lewis, along with from the mens tours, Adam Scott, Justin Rose, actually saw Rose use it at Carnoustie. A quick google search will give you a list of others that may have dabbled with it.

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
As an addition to the Aimpoint Express class, the coach who does Aimpoint that I go to, has been working with Mark Sweeny and Jamie Donaldson on follow up classes to hone the Aimpoint skills, I went to the first one a few weeks back and there were 5 different stations set up on the green.

You start a level 1 and you have to progress through the stations and make a certain percentage of putts to progress, you had stations dedicate to speed control, line management, aim, reading the slope etc... as you get better and progress the level of difficulty increases. There are 9 levels to work through, but you need to pass each station before you can level up, as it were.

I did it with 7 other Aimpointers and it was good to listen to their thoughts and experiences as well as share mine, took a lot from the session and will be going to the next one.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
I have seen it enough in use , read the TG bit and read the theory to decide that it appears to be a Guy has seen the Aimpoint thing on telly and come up with a theory in headlines that suggests he will help you hole more putts

e

Wrong way round. The guy behind Aimpoint (Mark Sweeney) developed the system which was then used by the Golf Channel to superimpose putting lines on broadcasts.

SGC001

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Never heard of it until tonight.
Just seen a "senior aimpoint coach" on sky talking about aimpoint.
It sounds very interesting and just wondering if any guys use it or have more info?

Found it quite funny that the guy missed all his putts though! 🙈

I've taken the midpoint and express courses.

I'd say if you are interested in it and green reading is an issue for you it would be worth it.

The way i'd put it is that you could teach a non golfer to read greens as well as an someone whos been playing years and can read greens within a couple of weeks.

It takes a qualitative skill of green reading and makes it semi quantitative with the chart and skills you are taught.

The skill of feeling slope is both teachable and learnable imho as is the method of determing green speed they will equip you with.

Ive yet to hear anyone completing the course say anything bad about it, and the reason how it works is not explained is due to intellectual copyright so if you want to learn it, go do it.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
On the contrary I miss loads, but I miss a hell of a lot less than I used to. Last round I played I sunk a 40 feet and a 45 feet putt, took the read of the slope, got my line and made the putts. When I miss and I do, it's because I've not got the speed of the green right, leaving some short, on line but short.

So you're claiming that it's transformed your game to such a level that you never miss left or right.

WOW. That is some claim and advert for aimpoint, maybe I should revisit it.

@ Val Karyn Burns does it, the female pro that was at Glasgow indoor. (Although I understand that has gone to the wall now)

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
First of all, I believe there is a place for Aimpoint in the game. Don't have a problem with it at all, although its of little interest to me as I'm happy with my putting.

But a rhetorical question; for all those that have done it, and put the time in practicing and refining their skills with it, would you have achieved just as much by spending the time on the practice green without doing Aimpoint? I realise its an impossible question to answer but I do wonder if what you were lacking previously was a bit of structure and a whole load of practicing.

D

Deleted member 16999

I've taken the midpoint and express courses.

I'd say if you are interested in it and green reading is an issue for you it would be worth it.

The way i'd put it is that you could teach a non golfer to read greens as well as an someone whos been playing years and can read greens within a couple of weeks.

It takes a qualitative skill of green reading and makes it semi quantitative with the chart and skills you are taught.

The skill of feeling slope is both teachable and learnable imho as is the method of determing green speed they will equip you with.

Ive yet to hear anyone completing the course say anything bad about it, and the reason how it works is not explained is due to intellectual copyright so if you want to learn it, go do it.

I’m not 100% sure on this, but wouldn’t intellectual copyright only be breached if you tried to profit from the information, I don’t think telling your mate comes under it.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
First of all, I believe there is a place for Aimpoint in the game. Don't have a problem with it at all, although its of little interest to me as I'm happy with my putting.

But a rhetorical question; for all those that have done it, and put the time in practicing and refining their skills with it, would you have achieved just as much by spending the time on the practice green without doing Aimpoint? I realise its an impossible question to answer but I do wonder if what you were lacking previously was a bit of structure and a whole load of practicing.

I've incorporated it into my practice mate.

I work with the calibatration strip (basically it shows you where you need to aim for a particular level of break). i find a 1% 2% break (whichever). and then work on putts with that break from 4,6,8,10 ft. i use a chalk like from each of the points the strip says the break is and then work on hitting it on that line.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site

Possibly thats true Brian but could just as easily be directed at anyone who has a golf lesson on anything, bunker play, chipping etc etc

My putting certainly was the last area of attention in my game and since doing Aimpoint for green reading and the lesson shown in this month's GM for the putting mechanics I've had 2 small handicap reductions and feel much more confident on the greens

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
I’m not 100% sure on this, but wouldn’t intellectual copyright only be breached if you tried to profit from the information, I don’t think telling your mate comes under it.

You don't have to make a profit from it, for instance publishing it for free online, would be breach of copyright. If bought the latest JK Rowling book, and just transcribed it onto a web page then she could get a court order for me to remove it.

Telling your mate about it, could possibly breach it, however the chances of the owners becoming aware of it, and then being able to prove it in court would be so slim as it shouldn't even come into consideration

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Possibly thats true Brian but could just as easily be directed at anyone who has a golf lesson on anything, bunker play, chipping etc etc

My putting certainly was the last area of attention in my game and since doing Aimpoint for green reading and the lesson shown in this month's GM for the putting mechanics I've had 2 small handicap reductions and feel much more confident on the greens

Good point, well made Chris. I pretty much answered my own question when I said "were lacking a bit of structure..."

I had a tips lesson from Oliver Wilson at the Belfry a few years back at the final of Britain's Best putter. Amongst the tips were two I have incorporated into my routine, which I hadn't considered before. 1) Always look from below the hole to see the slopes better. 2) For what appears to be a flat green, get a feel for any slopes from your feet.

There always more we can learn, we've just got to be open minded to it.

D

Deleted member 16999

You don't have to make a profit from it, for instance publishing it for free online, would be breach of copyright. If bought the latest JK Rowling book, and just transcribed it onto a web page then she could get a court order for me to remove it.

Telling your mate about it, could possibly breach it, however the chances of the owners becoming aware of it, and then being able to prove it in court would be so slim as it shouldn't even come into consideration
Fully aware of the dangers of publishing or broadcasting etc, that’s why I made the point about telling a mate, danger would be mate using info and making a profit etc,