Aimpoint

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
See this is the thing, you take that into the Den and a handful of Dragons are gonna tell you to do one

Maybe its just one of those marmite things or I'm just not smart enough to see through the jargon in the process

Actually all the arm and finger twiddling is the sort of stuff masons would be proud of.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Plus who wouldn't, after paying £250 for the course, actually practice putting more - leading to additional improvement regardless of the merits of the course!

Where do you get that price from?

All the current clinics in the UK listed on the aimpoint website are priced at £99.

The Aimpoint discussion is fraught with enough emotion without someone adding blatant misinformation to the matter.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Similar point to what I made at the start of the thread. For some people merely having a process to follow will in and of itself be an improvement. Combine that with having confidence in the read and therefore being more decisive may bring results - even if that read is wrong! Kind of a placebo effect.

Not conviced by the 'science' of it but am a firm believer in having consistent and decisive processes.

Plus who wouldn't, after paying £250 for the course, actually practice putting more - leading to additional improvement regardless of the merits of the course!

Indeed - I do A and B happens does not always imply that B is a direct result of A. A produces B; A and B produce C; A and B and C produce D is not the same as A produces D

I very much doubt that Aimpoint would have produced the improvement that I got by: 1) Developing a pre-shot routine; 2) by applying it rigorously and always; and by 3) taking more time and care over my putting in non-qualifying rounds and knocks.

I have had to do all three to achieve my improvement. The new routine alone would not have done it - I am 99.45% sure

Last edited:

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Where do you get that price from?

All the current clinics in the UK listed on the aimpoint website are priced at £99.

The Aimpoint discussion is fraught with enough emotion without someone adding blatant misinformation to the matter.

Ah apologies then I'm not sure but had that figure in my head. My bad.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Indeed - I do A and B happens does not always imply that B is a direct result of A. A produces B; A and B produce C; A and B and C produce D is not the same as A produces D

I very much doubt that Aimpoint would have produced the improvement that I got by: 1) Developing a pre-shot routine; 2) by applying it rigorously and always; and by 3) taking more time and care over my putting in non-qualifying rounds and knocks.

I have had to do all three to achieve my improvement. The new routine alone would not have done it - I am 99.45% sure

That's my thinking too.

One of my regular PPs is a great ball striker (for a 22 hcp!) However his short game is poor and his putting is atrocious (hence the hcp)

This is mostly down to a complete lack of care and attention and I've never seen him read a green in any way.

He'll go to the range weekly, practice driving and iron play, have long game lessons but zero lessons on putting and no practice.

I'm sure if he paid the £99 for an aimpoint lesson his putting would improve.

How much more it would improve over having a regular 30 min putting lesson, adopting a green reading strategy and routine (however basic!) is questionable

Sure IMO if the above doesn't work then go for Aimpoint

Just my opinion but I see so many players in this boat

I still see it as a crutch for those who've tried everything else

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That's my thinking too.

One of my regular PPs is a great ball striker (for a 22 hcp!) However his short game is poor and his putting is atrocious (hence the hcp)

This is mostly down to a complete lack of care and attention and I've never seen him read a green in any way.

He'll go to the range weekly, practice driving and iron play, have long game lessons but zero lessons on putting and no practice.

I'm sure if he paid the £99 for an aimpoint lesson his putting would improve.

How much more it would improve over having a regular 30 min putting lesson, adopting a green reading strategy and routine (however basic!) is questionable

Sure IMO if the above doesn't work then go for Aimpoint

Just my opinion but I see so many players in this boat

I still see it as a crutch for those who've tried everything else

Why do you think this is a crutch for those who’ve tried everything else and is in dire straits? I can’t comment on other Aimpoint users hc’s On here apart from Mendie who is around 2/3 I think as I am myself. I’m sure Mendie can get down and read greens the normal way just like those who’ve shouted, I don’t need to pay someone to tell me what I’ve known for 40 yrs, or I don’t need to do the penguin shuffle to find out how many fingers I need to twiddle and stick up at you! I suppose all those who buy the latest 400yd bomb machines that come out every year are clutching at straws instead of going to a pro, sort the swing and learn how to get centredness of strike or use their body properly to gain distance?

I suppose Justin Rose is clutching at straws then by using Aimpoint, recently he’s been a win away from becoming world number one. Is it ALL down to Aimpoint? No. He’s one of the best ball strikers and swingers on the tour and has all parts firing. His putting isn’t prolific but that’s not down to Aimpoint as it only measures where to aim. You still got to swing the club. Tommy Fleetwood is now clutching at straws, he’s practising his Aimpoint on tv right now.

We get that most on here think it’s bunkum and that’s fine and we know who they are, but people are still finding out about it, want to know and all this does is bring up the same crap each time.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Wouldn't the best putters in the world use it. Why just the likes of Rose and Scott - both of whom are where they are despite their putting not because of it?

After all you can never be too good at if, even the best can still improve...

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Wouldn't the best putters in the world use it. Why just the likes of Rose and Scott - both of whom are where they are despite their putting not because of it?

After all you can never be too good at if, even the best can still improve...

On tour I guess it's like on here - you either like the idea and are willing to try it, or, you don't want anything to do with it. But there are several world class golfers using it and Dustin Johnson certainly has.Scott and Rose surely wouldn't have entertained it if they didn't feel it helped however good or bad their putting

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
the majority of players know about it, if not all. It’s like most things, if it’s not the norm that’s been used for decades then they resist to change. Look at yardage books. Nicklaus made his own and I ‘believe’ the first to use on the PGA tour, they became the norm. Look at the different styles of putting grips nowadays, if you changed to left below right 15-20yrs ago you were deemed as a player in termoil on the greens, but now you’ve got claw grip and all sorts and have become the norm. Green reading books that they are banning are mapped out in fine detail on the slopes of direction and in %, it wouldn’t surprise me that the caddies have been on Aimpoint courses to understand the readings. Will AE become the norm, who knows only time will tell.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
the majority of players know about it, if not all. It’s like most things, if it’s not the norm that’s been used for decades then they resist to change. Look at yardage books. Nicklaus made his own and I ‘believe’ the first to use on the PGA tour, they became the norm. Look at the different styles of putting grips nowadays, if you changed to left below right 15-20yrs ago you were deemed as a player in termoil on the greens, but now you’ve got claw grip and all sorts and have become the norm. Green reading books that they are banning are mapped out in fine detail on the slopes of direction and in %, it wouldn’t surprise me that the caddies have been on Aimpoint courses to understand the readings. Will AE become the norm, who knows only time will tell.

Good post, as I mentioned way back I'd be interested to see if more and more hotshots coming out of the US college system use it in the same way that many of them now putt left hand low, use Trackman etc as the norm

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Good post, as I mentioned way back I'd be interested to see if more and more hotshots coming out of the US college system use it in the same way that many of them now putt left hand low, use Trackman etc as the norm

Trackman, is another, you’ll find orange squares all over the practise ground at a Tour event.
Did you see the DeChambeau interview on the Sky zone at The Open where he was talking about how he calculates break!! Just another level.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Why do you think this is a crutch for those who’ve tried everything else and is in dire straits? I can’t comment on other Aimpoint users hc’s On here apart from Mendie who is around 2/3 I think as I am myself. I’m sure Mendie can get down and read greens the normal way just like those who’ve shouted, I don’t need to pay someone to tell me what I’ve known for 40 yrs, or I don’t need to do the penguin shuffle to find out how many fingers I need to twiddle and stick up at you! I suppose all those who buy the latest 400yd bomb machines that come out every year are clutching at straws instead of going to a pro, sort the swing and learn how to get centredness of strike or use their body properly to gain distance?

I suppose Justin Rose is clutching at straws then by using Aimpoint, recently he’s been a win away from becoming world number one. Is it ALL down to Aimpoint? No. He’s one of the best ball strikers and swingers on the tour and has all parts firing. His putting isn’t prolific but that’s not down to Aimpoint as it only measures where to aim. You still got to swing the club. Tommy Fleetwood is now clutching at straws, he’s practising his Aimpoint on tv right now.

We get that most on here think it’s bunkum and that’s fine and we know who they are, but people are still finding out about it, want to know and all this does is bring up the same crap each time.

:rofl:

And breath......