AIG Womens Open

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
I think your point is a very strong one. Ask anyone walking down the street to name a female golfer. They wont name one. Ask people in a golf club, they will do well to name 2. Ask those same people, if they can name 2, who won any of the last 8 majors. They will struggle.

Ladies golf desperately needs a personality who breaks through the niche it currently sits in.

This. Was at thursday, it was also mind boggling how little respect the spectators gave the players. I felt like I was the only one clapping!

Encourage everyone to go next year, I was never ever not up against the rope while watching. No crowd was ever more than 1 deep. Even for top marquee groups. No significant queues for food, coffee, toilets, anything. It was brilliant.

Also massively impressive how good they all are, some of the distances they hit, a regular club player would easily match, nobody at your club is getting it round Muirfield in 14 under for 3 rounds though!! Absolutely flawless execution.

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
Pleased for Buhai.... less pleased for "Dave" who got altogether too much airtime.

The play-off was also painstakingly dull - must have been close to 20 minutes for each hole, I know a lot was at stake etc., but the slowness coupled with the repetitiveness of the hole, no wonder "Dave" was half cut by the time it finished. As the commentator said, forgetting about the relative distance, hitting their second shots using woods / hybrids & hole proximity was impressive.

Crumplezone

Visit site
I was there yesterday and it was a great day. But the start time was ridiculous such that the leaders were just starting the back nine when we left.

The golf played in that wind was great - Ashleigh buhai’s score in the conditions was unbelievably good.

Decent crowd, I thought, but not comparable to the men’s open.

We also went on Sunday, but left before then end as we didn't want to stay until 7.30 when the last group was due to finish. A lot left before us too. The first group only teed off at 10.05am which seems very late. This is our 9th visit to the Women's Open and I'm sure it's usually all over by around 6pm. Other than that, we really enjoyed it as usual.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
OK, it's a "what if" but what if there had been a 3 or 4 way tie..?
They'd have been back today to finish it..
The Men's Open started late at the weekend as well.....

peld

Visit site
i wanted to go this weekend but thought £40 per ticket was a bit steep, especially given the crowds seems quite small. Although the kids were free, it'd be £80 for me and the wife, and she wouldnt be interested other than going for a walk. £25 each (i.e. £50) would have been more palatable and got us there (and then spent money)

Also echo that the play was SOOO slow in the play off. I think slow play is a big problem in the womens game.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Slow play is a problem in the women's game? Is it not in the men's?
I would say it is just an issue in the game, especially the professional game.
To give the women credit, they had spent 4 days trying to win. Why would you rush?

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Pleased for Buhai.... less pleased for "Dave" who got altogether too much airtime.

The play-off was also painstakingly dull - must have been close to 20 minutes for each hole, I know a lot was at stake etc., but the slowness coupled with the repetitiveness of the hole, no wonder "Dave" was half cut by the time it finished. As the commentator said, forgetting about the relative distance, hitting their second shots using woods / hybrids & hole proximity was impressive.

Got to admit i didn't see "Dave" as had to go just before end but I did think that the playoff hole was poor, waiting for mistakes rather than someone to be able to grab it.

I also thought the timing of the commentator saying hitting second shots into green so consistently was a bit off as at that point both were hitting bunkers, missing long left etc so not actually that many hitting the green during playoffs or being close.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
To give the women credit, they had spent 4 days trying to win. Why would you rush?
I think that last point is a mindset within pro golf that needs to change, Male and female. They have a time to play a shot, keep to that. They need the skill set to play under pressure, within the time allowed.

We keep hearing about how we shouldn't pick and choose which rules we can follow, why is this any different?

Crumplezone

Visit site

Having watched women's golf live and live on TV, I don't think they're slow at all. At the Women's Open this year, they were getting round in less than 4/1/2 hours, which is pretty quick for a a professional tournament. I watched the playoff in real time and didn't think they were slow either.

Crumplezone

Visit site
I think your point is a very strong one. Ask anyone walking down the street to name a female golfer. They wont name one. Ask people in a golf club, they will do well to name 2. Ask those same people, if they can name 2, who won any of the last 8 majors. They will struggle.

Ladies golf desperately needs a personality who breaks through the niche it currently sits in.

Ask anyone walking down the street to name male golfers, they might know one or two current ones and one will be Tiger Woods. They also wouldn't know who had won any men's majors. As all golf is on SKY, it's not on most people's radar. Until two weeks ago, no one would have been able to name a female footballer.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Minjee Lee…now there’s a tidy golfer. And there is also Lee6..unforgettable. And Lexi?

Then the Brits…Charlie Hull and Georgia Hall…

Surely most on here would be able to name at least these two Brits.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I really enjoyed my afternoon at Muirfield on Friday - I am definitely going to Walton Heath next year for the Women’s Open…it’s so much better IMO to NOT have to listen to drunken shouts of “light the candle…get in the hole” when watching the world’s best golfers at close proximity
I may well join you next year.
Walton Heath is a doddle to get to.