AIG Womens Open

evemccc

Visit site
Yip, I've played it once, tremendous course.

Edit...
Says the man who avoided all 100 bunkers at Dunbar on Friday. ?

Always try my damnedest to avoid them…I’m awful in pot bunkers (says the man who took 13 (and 8 in the thick rough?) at the 11th at the Boat on Saturday in a comp..?

D

Deleted member 15344

Well that was a heck of a last 90 mins - cruising until the blow up , then a missed birdie on 17th , great two putt on 18 - then into playoff and some superb bunker play sealed it

big_matt

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Re the crowds and moving it to another country, it is definately possible to get bigger crowds for this here in Scotland/UK. From memory the solheim cup at gleneagles a few years ago had almost 100k spectators, so there must be interest.

I suspect lots of folk from this area had been to the scottish open and then the 150 open already this year. So youve already spent hundreds of pounds attending golf over the last month. Maybe this was a tournament too far in a short space of time given its tough times just now?

Also, the finish time i assume was decided for US tv but its not great finishing after 8 each day. If you have young kids are you going to stay till 8 then drive home?

stevieb15

Hacker
Visit site
Re the crowds and moving it to another country, it is definately possible to get bigger crowds for this here in Scotland/UK. From memory the solheim cup at gleneagles a few years ago had almost 100k spectators, so there must be interest.

I suspect lots of folk from this area had been to the scottish open and then the 150 open already this year. So youve already spent hundreds of pounds attending golf over the last month. Maybe this was a tournament too far in a short space of time given its tough times just now?

Also, the finish time i assume was decided for US tv but its not great finishing after 8 each day. If you have young kids are you going to stay till 8 then drive home?
It’s at Walton Heath next year, hopefully bigger crowds which will appreciate what a great spectator experience the womens golf provides.

evemccc

Visit site
Muirfield must have the best four par 3's in golf.
To come off every one with a par would be quite a struggle.

Course looked to be playing very well.

Actually I’m not sure if it’s the best set in golf - certainly the 4 par 3s are all v good and challenging holes individually …but aren’t they all of a similar length and style?
I’d ideally like to see a long 200yard+ and perhaps a v short one also in a set of par 3s on a single course to be seen as the best set in golf

RRidges

Visit site
Actually I’m not sure if it’s the best set in golf - certainly the 4 par 3s are all v good and challenging holes individually …but aren’t they all of a similar length and style?
I’d ideally like to see a long 200yard+ and perhaps a v short one also in a set of par 3s on a single course to be seen as the best set in golf
They are all in either different directions or have different elevations. Which, given the nature of the 'breezes' in the district make them play quite differently. They have sufficient tee lengths that distance variation can be made, should the breeze be absent. The two on the back nine generally play significantly longer than their stated length.
As someone who 'judges' courses by their Par 3s, Muirfield's are right up there with Royal Melbourne (both), Sunningdale (both) and Swinley Forest - my personal favourite set.

Last edited: