AIG Womens Open

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Minjee Lee…now there’s a tidy golfer. And there is also Lee6..unforgettable. And Lexi?

Then the Brits…Charlie Hull and Georgia Hall…

Surely most on here would be able to name at least these two Brits.
I'm not sure us on here are that representative. Most follow golf more than the average club golfer, by the nature of being on this forum.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ask anyone walking down the street to name male golfers, they might know one or two current ones and one will be Tiger Woods. They also wouldn't know who had won any men's majors. As all golf is on SKY, it's not on most people's radar. Until two weeks ago, no one would have been able to name a female footballer.
I'd agree for those walking down the street. I suggested those in a golf club though, people who you might expect to know top names. Women's golf is mature enough now for that to have happened.

Women's football is in a very different situation in the UK, still in its infancy as a pro sport.

sunshine

Visit site
I like watching women’s golf, very different from the men’s game but entertaining in its own way. The consistency of the ball striking is incredible and some of the swings are a joy to watch. Bit more relatable than the way the men overpower a course.

The crowds looked very sparse on the final day. Obviously spectators were spread out across the course, but as the final group progresses the crowd naturally concentrates around the final stretch. The play off felt like an anti climax with a very subdued atmosphere. The crowd was much better at Woburn a couple of years ago, I hope Walton Heath can attract a better attendance next year.

And slow play: some of the women seem to require a lot of reassurance from their caddies, which slows things down. It’s hard to compare it with the men’s Open because they are playing a much longer course and a tougher set up.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I think the crowds would have been higher if play ended about 5pm.
Lots of people with youngsters and unless you are local that could be a big thing.

Men's course would only be tougher in terms of length.

Crumplezone

Visit site
I like watching women’s golf, very different from the men’s game but entertaining in its own way. The consistency of the ball striking is incredible and some of the swings are a joy to watch. Bit more relatable than the way the men overpower a course.

The crowds looked very sparse on the final day. Obviously spectators were spread out across the course, but as the final group progresses the crowd naturally concentrates around the final stretch. The play off felt like an anti climax with a very subdued atmosphere. The crowd was much better at Woburn a couple of years ago, I hope Walton Heath can attract a better attendance next year.

And slow play: some of the women seem to require a lot of reassurance from their caddies, which slows things down. It’s hard to compare it with the men’s Open because they are playing a much longer course and a tougher set up.

Play wasn't slow. They were getting round in 4 to 4 1/2 hours.

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
Play wasn't slow. They were getting round in 4 to 4 1/2 hours.

What I watched was very slow play. Often players watched their partner hit a shot, and made no effort to prepare until the previous ball stopped rolling. No yardage discussions, no club pulled, nothing done at all. Same when putting, aim pointing 1 foot putts, marking tap ins. 4 - 4.5 hours is very slow for a 2 ball with caddies...

Some were fine, Mel Ried for example played very quickly, then stood around for ages waiting on the rest of her group...

Crumplezone

Visit site
What I watched was very slow play. Often players watched their partner hit a shot, and made no effort to prepare until the previous ball stopped rolling. No yardage discussions, no club pulled, nothing done at all. Same when putting, aim pointing 1 foot putts, marking tap ins. 4 - 4.5 hours is very slow for a 2 ball with caddies...

Some were fine, Mel Ried for example played very quickly, then stood around for ages waiting on the rest of her group...

Yes, amateurs should get round quicker, but rounds in pro men's tournaments are typically 5 1/2 to 6 hours, so clearly they weren't slow. On two occasions, I've seen two rounds played in a day in the Women's Open.

sunshine

Visit site
rounds in pro men's tournaments are typically 5 1/2 to 6 hours, so clearly they weren't slow. On two occasions, I've seen two rounds played in a day in the Women's Open.

No that’s not true that pro men’s tournaments are typically 5.5-6 hours.

Final round is typically 4 hours when I watch it.