• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 15344

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-58184202

Looks like the Taliban are about to take control of Kandahar very soon as well

How long before it’s Kabul and the Taliban have control over the whole country

As soon as the troops moved out they moved back in

20 years troops were out there for and it looks like it’s going to be all those lives lost for nothing

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I agree. Before they pulled out they should have tried to engage the Taliban. So many soldiers killed and permanently maimed. And I see the images of the people who are trapped there, awaiting the Taliban to arrive with and God knows what will happen to them. I seriously fear for what will happen to the people who live in that country as it's all just going to go to hell in a handcart.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
What is the alternative? Wasn't it a matter of keeping coalition forces there permanently or this happening. The Russians tried it we've tried it but it looks like there's no way to keep the Taliban out. As unpalatable as it is we should stay out and with the great power of hind sight we should never have gone there.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
What is the alternative? Wasn't it a matter of keeping coalition forces there permanently or this happening. The Russians tried it we've tried it but it looks like there's no way to keep the Taliban out. As unpalatable as it is we should stay out and with the great power of hind sight we should never have gone there.

We had hindsight, the Russians.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
An awful situation that shows what can happen when you pitch the evils of fundamentalist religion against an unwanted war machine who think they’re the moral bastions of the world. I can’t see anyway this ends well for the innocent civilians in the country.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
To think I used to go for holidays there.
Well, I did spend 2 weeks in Afghanistan on the hippy trail in 1973.
The sight of Herat was quite a culture shock after Iran.
Moving on to Kandahar was a better experience, then Kabul.
Afghans were quiet and reserved, and I liked them, but also a country of feuding clans.
I climbed that hill with masts in Kabul where today news reporters stand in front of.
The best bit was the Khyber Pass.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We think we heard some troops heading out this morning

Just got back from 4 nights at elvedon center parcs which had a few planes most of week but this morning jezz from 06:30 onwards was constant

Worrying times

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
We think we heard some troops heading out this morning

Just got back from 4 nights at elvedon center parcs which had a few planes most of week but this morning jezz from 06:30 onwards was constant

Worrying times

There has been a marked increase in C-130s going over us in the last few days.

Word is they are flying troops out for extract missions.

D

Deleted member 1147

"never get involved in a land war in Asia" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line"

The great Vizzini's advice springs to mind :unsure:

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Interesting to see the hawkish John Bolton on Sky News saying that US occupation was not about nation building - that it Afghanistan's own problem - but about protecting US interests. Ironically, it was US and UK interference in the region in the post-war years that emboldened the Mujahideen, later Taliban, due to their greater concern about Communism and lesser concern about jihadists.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
In discussions you mean, or battle? I don't think the Taliban have a diplomatic corps or a complaints department.

Classic dammed if you do, dammed if you don't situation.
I know, that's why I say "tried". I meant in discussions as battling has not worked and trying to get somebody across the table to talk. I know the Taliban are not known for their diplomacy skills, but everyone knew this would happen and just pulling out has put us back at square one.

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The country is in a real state. Not sure now if China will try and throw their weight around. They are very tied in with neighbour Pakistan (through a massive belt and road infrastructure plan), and they could help to facilitate China chucking a fortune into the country. And, China would love to capitalise on a US retreat

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I agree. Before they pulled out they should have tried to engage the Taliban. So many soldiers killed and permanently maimed. And I see the images of the people who are trapped there, awaiting the Taliban to arrive with and God knows what will happen to them. I seriously fear for what will happen to the people who live in that country as it's all just going to go to hell in a handcart.

They did have talks with the Taliban part of the agreement to pull out was for the Taliban not to let Isis into the country.

Seems that everyone one vastly underestimated the Taliban terrible situation especially for girls and women

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I know, that's why I say "tried". I meant in discussions as battling has not worked and trying to get somebody across the table to talk. I know the Taliban are not known for their diplomacy skills, but everyone knew this would happen and just pulling out has put us back at square one.
The Americans and Taliban have been in talks for a while.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
A major stumbling block is the Taliban are not a cohesive unit often swapping sides and fighting each other. The talks are amongst rival warlords not, in general, people who want or have the ability to unite a country.

There’s more chance of us lot agreeing on pace of play or what colour and length of socks are ok than the taliban uniting

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
A major stumbling block is the Taliban are not a cohesive unit often swapping sides and fighting each other. The talks are amongst rival warlords not, in general, people who want or have the ability to unite a country.
I agree. My post was to point out there have been talks between the USA and Taliban for a while, I make no comment on whether or not they are productive.