Debt Collection >> BW Law

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Mrs got a letter about an unpaid utility bill from someone called BW Law on behalf of Prac Financials. Very official looking letter posted to our current address. The only fly in the letter is that we moved out of that rented apartment about 12 years ago. The bill is about 18 months old. No clue who lives there or owns that place. I was about to contact them and googled it. Looks like BW L seem to be very fast and loose about it.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2...-dont-owe-at-an-address-where-ive-never-lived

Ayone went thru this pain.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
The story you attached said it all!

If they contact you by phone, or person, then just tell them that " the debt is denied " my understanding is that after you've told them that they aren't allowed to continue harrassment of you for money under the law, and they are required to pass back any alleged debt to the company who the debt is with to prove who the debtor is and show any evidence they have. Also a debt can only be claimed for (if I recall) 6 years in the courts.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
PRAC Financials are simply a bunch of Debt purchasers, who then chase the debt - through lawyers such as BW Law.
They've obviously simply taken a punt/used wrong info.
Just write back saying the same as you posted here - and maybe request confirmation that they agree. Alternatively, phone with same, but request written confirmation of their agreement. You could even send them an invoice for your time - both to-date and future rate.
Edit. ChrisD's post is the proper way.