Advice from the Leeds lot

Wayman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Trying to look at opens for next year
Has anyone played Leeds golf club or bingley st Ives golf club
Both have a 36 hole event on same day and don’t know which one to enter. Can anyone give advice on the courses
also notice northcliffe have one on in June too but the 18th alone looking at pictures gives me the shivers!
any of these three worth playing?

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
Bingley is really really good, used to have a European Tour event there (Billy Foster grew up playing there) and a better option than Leeds (also good but not in same league). Some incredible holes at the far end of the course, definitely worth doing. Just looking myself now

For some reason not played Northcliffe but people seem to like it

i*windows

Visit site
Bingley is terrific, the first couple are a bit ordinary but once you get up top it's so good, if it is sunny and a bit blowy I don't think there are many better places. -If you get chance to play here do so.
Northcliffe is also very good, a bit more sheltered than Bingley, smaller greens and narrower fairways.
Shipley Golf club also run opens, which is also a nice track and is very close to both of the above courses.
Hollins Hall used to have opens and has hosted numerous europro tour events, but I have no idea now.
West Bradford also run opens - but not as good a course as the above.
Bradford Golf club, which is in Leeds is a great course and has a fair few OPEN DAYS | Bradford Golf Club

Last edited:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I appreciate you stated Leeds but if you are prepared to go there have a look at Oakdale GC, in Harrogate. Same neck of the woods, nearly. They have a pairs open in June. It is a smashing course, lovely club. I'd highly recommend playing there.

Colonel Bogey

Visit site
Northcliffe is great and Bingley is even better, (has a great display of Pros gear that Billy Foster has in the back bar). I used to play in the rabbits comp with my cousin till he dropped below the required H/C. Like both of these places.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Northcliffe is great and Bingley is even better, (has a great display of Pros gear that Billy Foster has in the back bar). I used to play in the rabbits comp with my cousin till he dropped below the required H/C. Like both of these places.
I hope you pointed out how selfish that was :D.

I wish Northumberland ran Rabbits comps like they do in N.Yorks, great concept.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
I'll caveat this with the fact it's been 5 or 6 years since I've played any of these courses.
Northcliffe is great. I was a member there until I retired form golf the first time. Not very long, but a course with a good variety holes and small challenging greens. Worth playing for the 1st and 18th alone. Which could just as easily book end your round with a pair birdies or tripple bogies.

Bingley St Ives is a great course too. A different type of course to Northcliffe. Personally I prefer Northcliffe. BSI is a course of 2 halves and a different position. Feels longer and is a mix of parkland and heathland. It does get a bit windy up there.

Shipley sits in between the two and is also worth a visit.

There are lots of courses round that area that are worth visiting. Lots all next to each other in North Leeds too. Otley is nice. Baildon is interesting as there are no trees and it plays very much like a links course. And very windy at times.

HarrogateHacker

Visit site
I played Leeds golf club (Cobble Hall) few months back, really enjoyed it. I think it’s a home for the oldest (or one of the oldest) pro comps. I enjoyed my round there. One of my regular playing pals was a junior there years ago so we played it for a walk down memory lane, some nice driving holes. Condition was good rather than great but enjoyable all the same.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Couldn't comment now as I know a few green keepers have changed over the years. But Shipley was always one of the best in winter and often open when the others were closed or on temporary greens.

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
Everyone differs but I reckon Headingley is better than Sand Moor (I'm a bit biased as used to be a member at Headingley) - Moortown and Alwoodley are pretty well clear of anything else in Leeds, personally not a big fan of Moor Allerton and think Leeds/Cobble Hall is underrated