Advice for a new member

Tynesider

Visit site
Hi All

I have been playing decidedly average golf for the last five or so years, having two kids in that time have prevented me from being able to take it too seriously, but I have a bit more time available to me now and have just joined the local club, where I know a couple of members. My main aim is to use it as an incentive to play more and to take the game a bit more seriously (I've broken 100 maybe five times, usually between 100-110 at the moment) and meet new people.

What advice would you give to someone transitioning from nomad part time golfer to wanting to be a proper club member. Advice could be golf, etiquette, lifestyle based, or anything that I might not have though of.

Cheers

Tower

Visit site
The Pro Shop is likely the best source of that sort of info, at least to point out the better contacts if they are not able or prepared to satisfy your needs.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Best advice I could give is just play as often as you can, use the club and it's facilities as much or as little as you like. Use it as a relaxing place, don't get too hung up on the millions of rules and guidelines in the game of golf and just enjoy yourself. Meet people and play lots of games, get involved in comps if you feel ready and, as I say, just enjoy it.

As far as etiquette etc, it's fairly straight forward, exercise common decency and don't be a penis and you'll be just fine.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Try and find some like minded people who you think you'll get along with, and get some rounds in with them - and while doing so, you'll soon learn about the vibe at the club you have joined.

Most golf clubs are full of good people who will be welcoming to you - so nothing to fear.

Tinkerman

Visit site
Find out if there is a swindle you can join to meet new people, which may be run through a WhatsApp group. Otherwise don't be afraid to add your name to groups - some you'll enjoy playing with and others not so much but that's part of finding like-minded golfers. And don't disappear straight after the round - stay for at least one drink if others in your group are having, unless you don't like them!

Pop up the club if you have an hour or two during the week and just play 4, 6 or 9 holes. Great way to de-stress and get some practice in. You don't have to play 18 holes every time you go. Put your airpods in, put on some good music and enjoy the extra light we have at the moment!

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Try and find some like minded people who you think you'll get along with, and get some rounds in with them - and while doing so, you'll soon learn about the vibe at the club you have joined.

Most golf clubs are full of good people who will be welcoming to you - so nothing to fear.
This is it.... find the folk you are comfortable with...... there are increasing numbers of them as golf is slowly, very slowly changing its ethos. All these things take time.

sunshine

Visit site
Just be yourself, play with lots of different people and you’ll find the majority are friendly, you’ll work out who’s company you enjoy (and who’s you don’t).

One piece of advice is that in my experience, nomads tend to play more slowly than members. Might not apply to you, but just be aware of the pace of play in your group. Moaning about slow play is a very popular topic 😂