A-Z vinyl collection

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Like others my Ns are few - three in fact. But they are goodies and span quite a spectrum of music. And interestingly perhaps they all start with the same three letters - N-E-W...and a triple decade 70s, 80s and 90s.

3rd - David Newton with Victim of Circumstance (1990). It’s jazz. You probably won’t have heard of him but we were in the same class in primary school (Kirkhill for those who know my home area) and learned to play the clarinet and the bassoon together in the school orchestra (We had a 30+ member primary school orchestra...?). He went on to become one of the UKs top jazz pianists - I can hold a tune and play the tin whistle.

2nd - New Order with Substance 1987 (1987). At start of day this was my odds on favourite by quite a stretch - some tremendous stuff - until galloping up from the back of the field...

1st - Randy Newman with Sail Away (1972). You’ll know him from Toy Story and Monsters...but for some it’ll also be Simon Smith and the Amazing Dancing Bear; for many it’ll be You Can Leave Your Hat On, and for a very few like me it’ll also be Old Man - as covered by Art Garfunkel on Angel Clare (a top G of mine).

For sheer top quality satirical and amusing songs to beautiful piano melodies Sail Away is really hard to beat.

Last edited:

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
And for the Os I have to choose an Oldfield - and as I have quite a few to choose from I will probably have to start today...
Amarok. By a country mile. It took me a few listens before the penny dropped, but it is absolutely his best album by far.
Shame I only have it on CD.
(Come to think of it, as a single 60 min track, where is the side break on vinyl?)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Amarok. By a country mile. It took me a few listens before the penny dropped, but it is absolutely his best album by far.
Shame I only have it on CD.
(Come to think of it, as a single 60 min track, where is the side break on vinyl?)
I have heard that that is brilliant but haven’t got around to buying it. Wouldn’t have had it on vinyl in any case. Crisis is my final Oldfield vinyl.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
I have heard that that is brilliant but haven’t got around to buying it. Wouldn’t have had it on vinyl in any case. Crisis is my final Oldfield vinyl.
If you do decide to get it, your initial reaction is almost bound to be "Huh? what is this mess?". It's a sort of "fragmented" piece of music.
Stick with it - perhaps put it on in the background while you're doing something else. (It clicked for me while I was doing the ironing).

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
If you do decide to get it, your initial reaction is almost bound to be "Huh? what is this mess?". It's a sort of "fragmented" piece of music.
Stick with it - perhaps put it on in the background while you're doing something else. (It clicked for me while I was doing the ironing).
Sounds like my sort of music - last Oldfield I bought was Music of the Spheres - which I do enjoy - but CD.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Just jumped forward a little and played Tangerine Dream's Ricochet to calm the nerves after a rough day.

Last edited by a moderator: