A-Z vinyl collection

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
O's are thin on the ground so I think I'm going to kick start the day with Sinead O'Connors stunning debut album The Lion and the Cobra (first heard one rainy Saturday afternoon in a packed Our Price record shop in East Ham sometime in late 1987 and purchased on the spot) and then some thumping soul from the O'Jays.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Mike Oldfield for me
from Vinyl the collection it is Ommadawn.
I've already declared my liking for Amarok, but only have it on CD.
Never understood why Ommadawn is held in such high regard - for me it's a bit of a snoozefest.
So on vinyl it has to be the unabridged version of Tubular Bells from the Boxed set - with the proper full-length ending.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Never understood why Ommadawn is held in such high regard - for me it's a bit of a snoozefest.
So on vinyl it has to be the unabridged version of Tubular Bells from the Boxed set - with the proper full-length ending.

When I listen to Ommadawn these days it is normally via MP3, late at night in bed. I always have music on that I can fall asleep to:sleep:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
My copy of TB is about 45 yrs old and has been played sooo many times. Might even elbow Ommadawn aside - I doubt it...but will give both a listen later...

D

Deleted member 1147

Close, one for Mrs. BiM, who has gone down in my estimation by complaining about Tubular Bells. Still, gave me an excuse to put Ocean Colour Scene on.
B sides, seasides and free rides - one of my favourite albums

D

Deleted member 1147

Prince tomorrow, starting with Creep live at Coachella

Last edited by a moderator:

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Difficult choice tomorrow. Tom Petty, Graham Parker, Pink Floyd, Pretenders, but think I will go for one of the most underrated bands. Last band I saw live, and they were superb. Pretty sure no one else will have them on their play list.

Pavlov’s Dog, Pampered Menial.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Difficult choice tomorrow. Tom Petty, Graham Parker, Pink Floyd, Pretenders, but think I will go for one of the most underrated bands. Last band I saw live, and they were superb. Pretty sure no one else will have them on their play list.

I did have that album but I lent it to someone, forgot who I'd lent it to and never got it back......:unsure::(

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site

I will play some Tom Petty, if only for Breakdown, which has got one of my favourite guitar hooks. Nothing particularly flashy but it's got that something that grabs you. Saw this recently about Mike Campbell which sort of sums it up (my bolding);

Tom Petty's lead guitarist for more than 40 years, Mike Campbell never clutters up a song with notes when two or three bull's-eyes will suffice. "It's a challenge to make your statement in a short amount of time," he has said, "but I prefer that challenge as opposed to just stretching out." Listen to the skeletal hook that holds "Breakdown" together or the laconic, tone-bending solo in "You Got Lucky" to hear Campbell's ingenious use of negative space. "Michael is not one to show off," Petty once said. "What he says is essential."