A post for Nico

HTL

Tour Winner
Visit site
Phil Mickelson was in bubbly form after an opening 71 kept him in the hunt for a first US Open title.

But the San Diego native was just as happy with the atmosphere generated by the thousands of fans watching him play on his 'home' course of Torrey Pines.

He told Sky Sports: "It was awesome, awesome to walk these fairways I have been walking since I was a kid and to see our national Open take place here - it's incredible. Today we had a lot of people out there. It was a pretty good-sized gallery, I was impressed.

"Everybody was respectful, terrific. I'm proud because this is my home town."

Mickelson also enjoyed playing alongside Tiger Woods and world number three Adam Scott in the ultimate 'marquee group'

"It was a lot of fun. We all enjoyed it and we are hoping we have a chance to do this more often."

The world number two was three over through seven holes but finished on level par. "It feels good to come back," he added.

Tough

"The first seven or eight holes are tough because there are no par fives, no real birdie holes. I made a few mistakes early on there, I had a three-putt and some poor shots, but I was able to hang in there and birdie two of the par fives on the back nine and turn it around.

Mickelson did not use a driver on day one and that will be his tactic throughout the week - assuming the weather does not change.

"With the fairways being firm like this I feel the three wood goes plenty far," he said. "It is running out over 300 yards most of the time.

"If it rains I am going to pull the driver out because I will need the distance, but right now the ball is ending up where I want it distance-wise off the tee."

Nico

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I wish I could say he came across like a prat,but he didnt.

Gave a good interview I thought,the swine!