3 foot putts

UlyssesSky

Head Pro
Visit site
I've been doing that drill for quite some weeks and it certainly helps but it can't replicate the 4 foot putt in a real situation.

This drill is actually really good to simulate a real situation. Set yourself a goal of how many putts in a row you want to hole (20, 30, 40... - Phil Mickelson tries to hole at least 50 in a row). If you miss one, you have to start all over again. The pressure you feel standing over that last putt will be quite close to the pressure you feel on the course when you need to hole that 4 footer to halve the hole.

Generally I pull left or, when I've done that, I push right with a "this one's not going left" mindset.

I practised for a while today from about 4 Feet and doing the 4 balls from 6,12,3 and 9 o'clock positions, rarely missed more than one ball in a set but I did miss more than I'd want to. I do feel that my alignment with the Spider is improving though.

I also used to pull some short putts. Tried lots of different things. What finally helped was switching my grip to left hand low. Apparently my problems came from my right hand closing the clubface, even though my teaching pro as well as an experienced fitter couldn't find anything wrong with my stroke...

Since I changed my grip I've experienced unknown consistency in my putting and eliminated the systematic error in my stroke (I can still miss a short one from time to time, but the misses are more random and the result of bad alignment or lack of concentration, so they don't get in my head as much as the repeated pulls would).

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
This drill is actually really good to simulate a real situation. Set yourself a goal of how many putts in a row you want to hole (20, 30, 40... - Phil Mickelson tries to hole at least 50 in a row). If you miss one, you have to start all over again. The pressure you feel standing over that last putt will be quite close to the pressure you feel on the course when you need to hole that 4 footer to halve the hole.

I also used to pull some short putts. Tried lots of different things. What finally helped was switching my grip to left hand low. Apparently my problems came from my right hand closing the clubface, even though my teaching pro as well as an experienced fitter couldn't find anything wrong with my stroke...

Since I changed my grip I've experienced unknown consistency in my putting and eliminated the systematic error in my stroke (I can still miss a short one from time to time, but the misses are more random and the result of bad alignment or lack of concentration, so they don't get in my head as much as the repeated pulls would).

I do the clock drill but since I got my new putter the greens have been tined and dressed and I reckon Jordon Speith would have trouble making 20 in a row at the moment but I do intend to keep on with it.

I've also done left below right and then feel the need to change once I miss one or two. I would add that my putting is not as bad as all that, I just think that improving from 5ft in the key to single figure now.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You don't want putting advice from me, but I saw a YouTube video this week and in it the instructor said lots of good putters putt toe down- heel up because their wrists are high (in relation to where they would be with a wedge for example). I tried this on the carpet and found pushing it almost impossible- the push is defo my weakness. Looking forward to trialling it in real life if the weather forecast is 100% wrong for Monday

Just to update this (very useful imo) thread, other than a few putts on the carpet I hadn't practiced putting at all by the time I hit the course Saturday so I said I'd stick to what I know. Shot 85 gross in a Medal that ended up with 39 putts, including 5 x 3 putts. If that sounds a lot I was 83 gross last weekend with 38 putts and 3 x 3 putts, its pretty standard for me. Anyway I got down to the course earlier on Sunday and tried the above technique before heading out for the Board Comp.

Gross 78, 30 putts. I played a little better than previous days but not much, couple of pitches to a few feet helped but all in all the difference in my score was the number of putts. My only 3 putt when I was rushing cos we were being allowed play through - did the "standing on one foot stab at a tap in" from a few inches and pushed it so I wouldn't even count it as a real miss, in which case I didn't miss anything inside 5 feet or 3 putt, which for me is unheard of. What's more as I grew in my new-found confidence I felt less pressure to stick my approaches/recovery shots/pitches dead. I felt like anywhere was 2 putt country and inside 8 feet was a decent chance, so my whole mind-set changed and I was far more relaxed.

Will it last? I bloody hope so! Thanks to Chris for asking the question I was probably too proud to ask and to all who contributed to the thread, I read with interest and when I realised my new magic trick was working the advice "hit it harder" and "listen for it to drop" became something I was less afraid of, so I took the break out of a few I would have normally feared, feathered and most likely trickled by.

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I agree with the shorter backswing but would prefer a normal follow through.

You might want to try the chair drill below.
Keep an even pressure on both 'cheeks' against the chair/wall/door etc.
Note how still my lower half is

[video=youtube;vsTLHVK9DqY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsTLHVK9DqY&index=13&list=PL7Uf2W3sfvqYBJ3 OUldKvQT7ZWYEmPOyW[/video]

Thanks Bob, that's a fantastic tip. I've been struggling with my putting from all distances due to my backside moving. I now focus on keeping it in place 👍

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
sounds crazy but more forward shaft lean. i just had a putting lesson with quintech software and was told that 85% of handicap golfers have too much loft at impact causing the ball to jump too much.

the difference was astonishing. oh, the reason for having the lesson was i was missing too many short putts

A further great bit of knowledge shared. I focus on this and my buttocks.
Mentioned it to playing partner Saturday, now wish I didn't 😄

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
sounds crazy but more forward shaft lean. i just had a putting lesson with quintech software and was told that 85% of handicap golfers have too much loft at impact causing the ball to jump too much.

the difference was astonishing. oh, the reason for having the lesson was i was missing too many short putts
Interesting that you say this. Ages ago when I was fitted for my putter I also tried a SeeMore putter. Most people probably know about them, but they have a red dot on the head, behind the shaft, so as you look down the idea is to hide this dot from your vision and that means you are lined up better. When I was trying it, the red dot was always visible on the left side, so I had to lean the putter forward more to hide it - thus backing up what you're saying. (I didn't end up buying the SeeMore because I didn't really like the weight and look of it, but that's another story.)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I do a 8-pt clock around a small diameter hole - starting at 1ft and moving out 6" at a time. If I miss I just repeat - but don't go back to the start. As the hole is small I have to really focus on holing every putt else I'll just miss and never get out of 1ft range

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Just to update this (very useful imo) thread, other than a few putts on the carpet I hadn't practiced putting at all by the time I hit the course Saturday so I said I'd stick to what I know. Shot 85 gross in a Medal that ended up with 39 putts, including 5 x 3 putts. If that sounds a lot I was 83 gross last weekend with 38 putts and 3 x 3 putts, its pretty standard for me. Anyway I got down to the course earlier on Sunday and tried the above technique before heading out for the Board Comp.

Gross 78, 30 putts. I played a little better than previous days but not much, couple of pitches to a few feet helped but all in all the difference in my score was the number of putts. My only 3 putt when I was rushing cos we were being allowed play through - did the "standing on one foot stab at a tap in" from a few inches and pushed it so I wouldn't even count it as a real miss, in which case I didn't miss anything inside 5 feet or 3 putt, which for me is unheard of. What's more as I grew in my new-found confidence I felt less pressure to stick my approaches/recovery shots/pitches dead. I felt like anywhere was 2 putt country and inside 8 feet was a decent chance, so my whole mind-set changed and I was far more relaxed.

Will it last? I bloody hope so! Thanks to Chris for asking the question I was probably too proud to ask and to all who contributed to the thread, I read with interest and when I realised my new magic trick was working the advice "hit it harder" and "listen for it to drop" became something I was less afraid of, so I took the break out of a few I would have normally feared, feathered and most likely trickled by.

That's interesting Curls, I will try the toe down idea, I think it works because it locks the wrist more. I played 9 this morning and barely left anything that wasn't a gimmee but i have a vets league match tomorrow so will want to putt well so I'll see how that work on the Puttout on the upstairs carpet this afternoon

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That's interesting Curls, I will try the toe down idea, I think it works because it locks the wrist more. I played 9 this morning and barely left anything that wasn't a gimmee but i have a vets league match tomorrow so will want to putt well so I'll see how that work on the Puttout on the upstairs carpet this afternoon

Do, the trick is to ensure you still keep your arms to the side, you can easily "chicken-wing" when you lock them initially. Man it made such a difference. Hope it works for you!

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It means the angle is at the elbow, not the wrist

Thanks Bob, to be fair I couldn't profess to knowing exactly what it is I'm doing other than it works, big part of it is a confidence thing so as long as it keeps rolling I'm happy!