3 foot putts

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Lots of drills and advice but you haven't said why you miss them. Are you picking the wrong line or just not hitting them where you are aiming..........two different issues that require different fixes.

Generally I pull left or, when I've done that, I push right with a "this one's not going left" mindset.

I practised for a while today from about 4 Feet and doing the 4 balls from 6,12,3 and 9 o'clock positions, rarely missed more than one ball in a set but I did miss more than I'd want to. I do feel that my alignment with the Spider is improving though.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I use a mirror regularly to make sure the eyes are over the ball but more importantly the shoulders are square. It has a gate at the end so I can make sure the ball is on line. Imperative to get the ball starting properly.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Generally I pull left or, when I've done that, I push right with a "this one's not going left" mindset.

I practised for a while today from about 4 Feet and doing the 4 balls from 6,12,3 and 9 o'clock positions, rarely missed more than one ball in a set but I did miss more than I'd want to. I do feel that my alignment with the Spider is improving though.

Do you set your eyes directly over the ball when putting Chris..........?

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I practised putting yesterday and managed to roll in quite a few decent long putts with my new TM Spider putter but can still easily miss a 3 footer.

Any tips that you guys use for sinking those knee knockers?

Only play matchplay with people you don't know, and learn to be generous.
Give all of your opponents 5 footers and as they don't know you that well, they should (should) give you the three footers that you are struggling with.
Unfortunately, LP, Richart and I know you too well so it wouldn't work with us. I'd stick to people you don't know.
You're welcome......

anotherdouble

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Give all of your opponents 5 footers and as they don't know you that well, they should (should) give you the three footers that you are struggling with.
Unfortunately, LP, Richart and I know you too well so it wouldn't work with us. I'd stick to people you don't know.
You're welcome......

At his age Smiffy that will not leave a lot of people:thup:

pinberry

Club Champion
Visit site
Get a lesson. Seriously. Missing 3 footers is mostly a matter of starting line. A lesson can point you in the right direction. There could be 100 reasons why your line is wrong - most likely, you have been pulling/pushing your putts since you started playing golf and you aim away from the intended starting line to compensate for this. This is what happens with 99% of amateurs. A DYI approach won't solve a thing - if you align properly, you will not start the ball on line. If you fix only your putting motion, you'll be aiming in the wrong direction.

And please, disregard whoever says that you need to hit putts firmly, hit the back of the cup etc. This terrible advice only leads to more putts missed - the cup gets smaller, more lipouts etc

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
You're welcome......

I already do that, it's only certain forum knobs that make me putt 😁

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I already do that, it's only certain forum knobs that make me putt 

This particular forum knob was on your team Chris!!
I was willing you to make that 5th putt, and whichever way you look at it it was a great result.
From the jaws of a birdie you snatched a triple bogey....ffs!!!

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
This particular forum knob was on your team Chris!!
I was willing you to make that 5th putt, and whichever way you look at it it was a great result.
From the jaws of a birdie you snatched a triple bogey....ffs!!!

................ and then entered the history books of forum folklore 🤣

Shame no one talks about the 2nd shot to set up the 5 putt 😂

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
I actually didn't see him finish it Rog. I was walking to the next tee with the thought of kicking a cat going through my head.

And I love cats.

Still smile when I think of your words as you picked your ball up, rather than tap in. ‘He’s not going to four putt from there’ So very true.:eek: