3 foot putts

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Assuming you're still using the Cure putter, here's what I do / would do. On short putts the Cure swings itself, you just take it back & virtually let it swing back under its own weight . If you choose a line the ball will , for me, always start on that line. If I miss it's because I've misread the line or strength, not hit it wrong. If the putt is straight, I hit it very firmly, confident it will go straight. If it has a slight borrow, I aim inside the hole & hit it firmly, knowing that if I've misjudged the break a bit i'm nor going to rim out, unless I've read it completely wrong. On putts which need to be aimed outside the hole it's a bit harder but I find that, despite its weight, the Cure is great for gauging the strength of putts.

so, if you're still using the Cure, try the above. If you think you'll putt better with anything else, I'd be surprised.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
So why aren't all tour pros using them
(a) Because they're not shaky old geezers

(b) Old habits die hard. I've been watching the Masters on YouTube from the early 70s. George Archer won using a Ping Anser. Most of the other competitors were using blade putters & Golden Goose (Golden Geese?). How many of these do you see now? There's one Cure putter on the Champions Tour. Definitely a good weapon for the elderly & infirm like a lot of us.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
(a) Because they're not shaky old geezers

(b) Old habits die hard. I've been watching the Masters on YouTube from the early 70s. George Archer won using a Ping Anser. Most of the other competitors were using blade putters & Golden Goose (Golden Geese?). How many of these do you see now? There's one Cure putter on the Champions Tour. Definitely a good weapon for the elderly & infirm like a lot of us.

So how old do you have to be before you can use one?

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
So how old do you have to be before you can use one?

Well, I'm 71 & have had trouble with short putts for about 10 years, just not able to take the putter back straight. With a very high MOI putter I find that, if I don't take it back straight, it still seems to come through with the face square. It's a weird feeling, hard to describe but it's like taking it back & then letting go. you obviously still swing it but you don't feel as if you can influence where the head is going. I have honestly probably only missed two three foot putts since I started using it.

On long putts, if you read the putt correctly, it's got a good chance of going in because the ball normally goes off fairly well along the chosen line. Not the case for me with lighter putters, where I have been known to be three feet off line on a 20 foot putt.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Assuming you're still using the Cure putter, here's what I do / would do. On short putts the Cure swings itself, you just take it back & virtually let it swing back under its own weight . If you choose a line the ball will , for me, always start on that line. If I miss it's because I've misread the line or strength, not hit it wrong. If the putt is straight, I hit it very firmly, confident it will go straight. If it has a slight borrow, I aim inside the hole & hit it firmly, knowing that if I've misjudged the break a bit i'm nor going to rim out, unless I've read it completely wrong. On putts which need to be aimed outside the hole it's a bit harder but I find that, despite its weight, the Cure is great for gauging the strength of putts.

so, if you're still using the Cure, try the above. If you think you'll putt better with anything else, I'd be surprised.

I've bought a TM Spider putter, the red one. I love the feel off the face and so the Cure putter is in the spare bag at the moment. Sadly, since I got the Spider our greens have been tined and sanded but I love the roll of it.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Put 4 balls around the hole at 12, 3, 6 and 9 O'clock positions 3 feet from the hole. Hole them all and then repeat. This is one of Phil Micklesons practice routines. Try and get the ball to hit the back of the hole rather than dribbling it in.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Put 4 balls around the hole at 12, 3, 6 and 9 O'clock positions 3 feet from the hole. Hole them all and then repeat. This is one of Phil Micklesons practice routines. Try and get the ball to hit the back of the hole rather than dribbling it in.

I do that and simply extend it to 4 and 5 feet. For the 3 foot ones I use one of these with the inner ring removed https://www.amazon.co.uk/PUTT-PUTTING-TRAINING-AID-REDUCER/dp/B000FFYITO Makes the hole smaller, sharpens the focus and when removed does make the hole look bigger and gives more confidence

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
The putting green at Burnham actually has a smaller sized hole on it. Makes the normal hole look massive.

The one at Maidenhead has one the same size as the inner ring of the No3Putt and its devilishly hard. I agree, holing a few into that and then going back to a normal hole and it looks huge. I tend not to use the inner ring for more than two foot putts as I struggle from further away. Good practice but you need a strong mindset as you can hit what you think is a decent putt and it won't drop.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site

I've been doing that drill for quite some weeks and it certainly helps but it can't replicate the 4 foot putt in a real situation. I'm trying to find the technique that works best for me. Straight back and through, rock the shoulders, Brandt Snedekers short takeaway and pop, Speiths looking at the hole? They all work until I miss one or two then I doubt the style and change, I really have to find one and stick with it as my lag putting, especially with the Spider, is pretty good

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site

I've had a few putting lessons and been on the SAM putting lab and never had to change much. My new pro said that there's nothing wrong with my technique, as did Jamie Donaldson, and I make good putts but it's the need to hole out like a single figure golfer that I'm in need of as, if i do, with the improvement in my long game, I should be a single figure player

lukeysafc100

Head Pro
Visit site
Get on the practice green, Set up the gate drill (see youtube, Tiger does this), 5 feet from hole and just bang in putt after putt after putt! keep count and try to beat your record! Mine is about 40 putts.

The reason people miss the short ones is a flaw in the putting stroke - you get tight, tense and think about not missing instead of holing the putt!!!!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Unless there is a very definite and significant borrow, I'm very much a 'hit the back of the hole' sort of guy.

And I use my putting PSR for them without even considering whether to or not, absolutely just do it as I do for any putt of any length greater than maybe a foot.

My mate (17hcapper) missed three very hole-able 3-4footers in our foursomes match yesterday - by simply being too careful - leading to being hesitant and then decelerating as he was about to hit the ball. Two he left short on the lip - the 3rd died away not holding it's line. He knows. And I know that I shouldn't have left him the putts....not in a foursomes match.

Last edited:

Roops

Head Pro
Visit site
Lots of drills and advice but you haven't said why you miss them. Are you picking the wrong line or just not hitting them where you are aiming..........two different issues that require different fixes.