3 foot putts

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I practised putting yesterday and managed to roll in quite a few decent long putts with my new TM Spider putter but can still easily miss a 3 footer.

Any tips that you guys use for sinking those knee knockers?

ademac

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I practised putting yesterday and managed to roll in quite a few decent long putts with my new TM Spider putter but can still easily miss a 3 footer.

I practice short putts by standing a tee upside down, looking at the tee when I putt and just knock it over.
When on the course I look at the hole and it seems massive compared to having to hit a tee.
Takes a bit of getting used to looking st the hole but it works for me.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
sounds crazy but more forward shaft lean. i just had a putting lesson with quintech software and was told that 85% of handicap golfers have too much loft at impact causing the ball to jump too much.

the difference was astonishing. oh, the reason for having the lesson was i was missing too many short putts

TreeSeeker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I practice short putts by standing a tee upside down, looking at the tee when I putt and just knock it over.
When on the course I look at the hole and it seems massive compared to having to hit a tee.
Takes a bit of getting used to looking st the hole but it works for me.

Think i'll be giving that one a go!

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Put the bottom of a long iron shaft where it meets the hosel on the green in front of the hole.
You have to hit your put firmly to get it to go over the shaft this teaches to hit it firmly into the back of the hole.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Some great ideas to try there gents, many thanks

Anothedouble, if i do buy another one i shall tell Mrs D that it was your idea and, believe me, she's a mean, ugly and violent woman 😁

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Not that I should be giving anyone advice on putting... but have you tried a shorter backswing and shorter [stumpier] follow through.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Not that I should be giving anyone advice on putting... but have you tried a shorter backswing and shorter [stumpier] follow through.

I agree with the shorter backswing but would prefer a normal follow through.

You might want to try the chair drill below.
Keep an even pressure on both 'cheeks' against the chair/wall/door etc.
Note how still my lower half is

[video=youtube;vsTLHVK9DqY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsTLHVK9DqY&index=13&list=PL7Uf2W3sfvqYBJ3 OUldKvQT7ZWYEmPOyW[/video]

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
In practice, same putt, my record is something like 51 in a row.

Not quitting on it is a big part as is not trying to steer it. Roll it over a point on the line around 2 foot away.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

More,and better, practice!

Try the spiral drill - spiralling the hole from short to long; if you miss, you have to start again - or similar where failure requires restart. This puts pressure on each putt, so you concentrate better. Mind you, it may be the 'lack of pressure' that allows you to sink the long ones. The spiral/restart drill can also help remove that 'knee-knocker' feeling from 'normal' putts.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Have you tried using a line on the ball Chris? Line it up, trust it then make a positive stroke :thup: