3 Clubs and a putter comp

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would still think it was illogical to take driver a club that you would only use for 11-14 shots and then be limited to only 2 other clubs.

Getting to the green in 3 would still give you a chance of parr and a bogey would be a good score for this comp.

Where I play 15 of the holes you could happily play/need to play the tee shot with a driver (albeit going down the grip or hitting a punch shot on a couple) the 3 remaining holes are par 3s where you would be covered by the your choice of iron.

Having said all of that I have never come close to winning one of these because we play them as a stableford. I reckon if they were played as handicap stroke play I would stand a better chance.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Where I play 15 of the holes you could happily play/need to play the tee shot with a driver (albeit going down the grip or hitting a punch shot on a couple) the 3 remaining holes are par 3s where you would be covered by the your choice of iron.

Having said all of that I have never come close to winning one of these because we play them as a stableford. I reckon if they were played as handicap stroke play I would stand a better chance.
Stableford is handicap stroke play...do you mean medal? Quite honestly it makes less difference than you might think between the two anyway.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

Ok even 15 shots with a driver still leaves you struggling for a second shot on long par 4s and par 5s.

Maybe depends how good a driver you are, for me a 3 wood rather than driver off a tee would only be around 20 yards shorter so 3 wood is a better option for this comp. plus I take a 8 iron so there are many longer shots I would have to manipulate low running shots with a 3 wood.

Only 3 par 3s is that not a bit unusual?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ok even 15 shots with a driver still leaves you struggling for a second shot on long par 4s and par 5s.

Maybe depends how good a driver you are, for me a 3 wood rather than driver off a tee would only be around 20 yards shorter so 3 wood is a better option for this comp. plus I take a 8 iron so there are many longer shots I would have to manipulate low running shots with a 3 wood.

Perhaps another par 3 is long enough that you still hit the driver. (y)

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I struggle these days for 2nd shot on the long par 4s with a full set of clubs in the bag:). I have a handicap and it is on these holes that I ten to use 'my shots'. My days of reaching a par 5 in two are long past me. As previously said a 3 wood does not get past the angle of the dogleg on several holes where I play.

The 4th par 3 requires a driver for most players of my age

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Stableford is handicap stroke play...do you mean medal? Quite honestly it makes less difference than you might think between the two anyway.

It makes a difference compared to a lot of players in the field for these and other comps. Most of my wins in seniors comps come from playing in medals (often with lowest gross) rather than stableford. E.g. the best stableford score on Monday was 46 points , I would have to play to level par gross just to match that. Our 3 club comp trophy is awarded to the player with the highest number of stableford points regardless of handicap.

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
In the end I went with 4 Wood, 7-iron, 9-iron and putter.

Pleased with choices and got round pretty well. Some really stupid mistakes though - not least 4 stabs from inside 15 feet on our 10th for a blob :mad: despite putting really well on every other hole.

Biggest issue was that I struggled to manufacture shots with the 9-iron when I was only 80-ish yards out costing me another 3 strokes. Tried choking down on the grip but every time I did I still buttoned it and went long.

Scored 29 but felt hit ball a whole lot better than that to be honest (though of course the card never lies so the usual shudda - cudda etc.).

Handn't really been looking forward to it but ended up enjoying the format. And thanks again for the input. (y)

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Glad to hear you enjoyed it.

Manufacturing shots is quite an art it is why my practice is usually just clubs on our 9 hole course getting to an age though where I am finding it difficult to adjust the by more than about 1 club for the longer shots.

Still not worked how to play a 3 club comp well though and about 30 points is my usual score.

Oldham92

Hacker
Visit site
In the end I went with 4 Wood, 7-iron, 9-iron and putter.

Pleased with choices and got round pretty well. Some really stupid mistakes though - not least 4 stabs from inside 15 feet on our 10th for a blob :mad: despite putting really well on every other hole.

Biggest issue was that I struggled to manufacture shots with the 9-iron when I was only 80-ish yards out costing me another 3 strokes. Tried choking down on the grip but every time I did I still buttoned it and went long.

Scored 29 but felt hit ball a whole lot better than that to be honest (though of course the card never lies so the usual shudda - cudda etc.).

Handn't really been looking forward to it but ended up enjoying the format. And thanks again for the input. (y)

I was surprised when I saw no wedge lol

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Why on earth did you end up going with a 7 and a 9?? Surely a wedge over the 9 would have been more logical. Almost everyone who replied to the topic said that. 7 and 9 are a bit close to each other for a three club comp I would have thought?