3 Clubs and a putter comp

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
I won ours with 4hybrid, 7i and PW.

No hole on the course i couldn't get on in 3 comfortably with those (or 4 for one of the par fives), and the short irons variable enough for pretty much most requirements.

Oldham92

Hacker
Visit site
No I wouldn't because I'm rubbish at golf. :p I don't hit woods off the fairway, lol.

I'm terrible myself haha and slice a driver too often to use it most of the time anyway haha 3W is my go to tee option lately. 200 yards average and about 70% fairways hit with it so I'll take that lol

D

Deleted member 1147

From my current set-up, I'd choose:

4 iron - this goes about 200 in the air, so should get me up & around most long par 4's in 2
7 iron - flies just over 160, so covers the shorter par 3's, and will be useful for the approach shots on par 4's
Gap wedge - goes 120, so can be used for everything inside that
Putter

Robin Hood

Visit site
Ok
I've been thinking again.......
1 Iron and a chipper, and maybe a left handed 8 iron for those awkward shots beside tree trunks......sorted.
Just give me the prize money now !

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm terrible myself haha and slice a driver too often to use it most of the time anyway haha 3W is my go to tee option lately. 200 yards average and about 70% fairways hit with it so I'll take that lol
That's fair enough. (y) What Pendodave said earlier rings true for me though. It's firstly about covering as many distances as you can with the three clubs, but you also have to consider that clubs that you hit better than others. It's all very well for someone to think they'll put a 3 wood in as it can be used off the tee and the deck, but if you can't hit your wood well off the deck that's just asking for trouble. For me personally I might want to take the 6 iron for example, but I know that I hit the 7 much better than the 6, so even if that puts me short on one or two holes, I'd rather take the club I hit more consistently.

Scozzy

Medal Winner
Visit site
5i,8i,SW for me, quite often play with a pencil bag and half ish set and always surprised how little scoring affected by only having a few to choose from.5i keeps you in play as well as reasonable distance and you have two scoring clubs,all up you need a decent tee shot and you're covered from 170ish yds and in,bunkers as well....

Oldham92

Hacker
Visit site
That's fair enough. (y) What Pendodave said earlier rings true for me though. It's firstly about covering as many distances as you can with the three clubs, but you also have to consider that clubs that you hit better than others. It's all very well for someone to think they'll put a 3 wood in as it can be used off the tee and the deck, but if you can't hit your wood well off the deck that's just asking for trouble. For me personally I might want to take the 6 iron for example, but I know that I hit the 7 much better than the 6, so even if that puts me short on one or two holes, I'd rather take the club I hit more consistently.

The more I think about it, 3H 7I and PW would be my set up

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Never done one, but on our course I would go driver, 7 iron, gap wedge(50°) I think. Or maybe driver, 7, PW as the PW covers all the par 3s better. I can see why others are taking a wood or hybrid rather than driver, but at my place I tend to tee off with the driver on at least 11 holes so might as well bring it or I'll just be short off the tee more than half the time.

Played in many over the years, your logic is flawed if you don’t mind me saying, taking driver and only using it 11 times is a waste you would be better taking 3 wood even if it means being shorter of the tee. You can use your 3 wood for many kind of punch shots and it’s fun to try and manipulate shots like this.

To the op I’ve won ours 3 times over the years using 3wood 8 iron and putter.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Illogical to take a driver, you will only use it 12/14 times.
In the days when skill was king I would have gone with 2 iron, 6 iron and wedge.
Not many folk can use or adapt a two iron nowadays.

Where I play we have a several doglegs holes and the choice is take a driver to reach the angle of the dogleg or take a shorter club and accept that you will need 3 shots to get on to the green.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Where I play we have a several doglegs holes and the choice is take a driver to reach the angle of the dogleg or take a shorter club and accept that you will need 3 shots to get on to the green.

I would still think it was illogical to take driver a club that you would only use for 11-14 shots and then be limited to only 2 other clubs.

Getting to the green in 3 would still give you a chance of parr and a bogey would be a good score for this comp.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Played in many over the years, your logic is flawed if you don’t mind me saying, taking driver and only using it 11 times is a waste you would be better taking 3 wood even if it means being shorter of the tee. You can use your 3 wood for many kind of punch shots and it’s fun to try and manipulate shots like this.

To the op I’ve won ours 3 times over the years using 3wood 8 iron and putter.
We already discussed that in the later posts. :p

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks for the replies all.

Still not sure but I've gone off the idea of a driver. Currently I have 4 Hybrid (set on 21 deg loft) - 7 iron - PW - putter in the bag (might still go 4 wood though instead of hybrid).

As we're off the yellows and we have no 'must get to the dogleg off the tee' shots on our course, then I reckon the hybrid hit twice, where necessary, is maybe a better option.

Oldham92

Hacker
Visit site
I initially went driver, but I think you have maybe nailed it here!

My 3H is about 180/190 off the tee and about 150 off fairway. Then 7 is about 120/130, PW anywhere between 105 and about 60 depending on how much I choke down I'd say that'd work.

TreeSeeker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I personally wouldn't take a driver on the course for a limited club comp, mostly because i only hit it on two-four holes anyway because of hazards, and because 3 woods find more fairways. The guy I lost to i think was using Driver, 4h and pw mostly because he needed the driver + 4h to hit anyway of the par 4's in two, and having a pw was best for around the green.

My bag was something i could hit everything in two with, so the 3w (considered just going 5i because its consistent), a stick for the majority of the par 3's (7i) and a wedge for around the greens (52).

Biggest tip, and imo why i was knocked out when i was, check the condition of the course on the day BEFORE you choose the clubs, I was scuppered when i found out half the par 3's were on temps which meant my 7i was useless for me.