2022 Professional golf thread

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
This wind talk does my head in, I’ll take them round Fortrose and then they will know what wind is ??

Same at ours - we rarely play in benign conditions, and when it’s breezy elsewhere in the county, because of its exposed position, it’s invariably blowing a gale at the club.

I accept the paying public don’t want to see carnage on Tour, but I swear we’ve played medals in the sort of conditions which would prompt a weather delay in the States!

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Agreed, Rory is frustrating to watch. But I thought you said that it's too early to get irritated.
Shame you didn't praise him for his great start yesterday. Just saying. ?
How does Rory being frustrating to watch add up to me being irritated?
Unfortunately one good round doesn’t win the tournament.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thought Rory was going to do it, with the draw conditions playing into his hands, good start, holing putts. But some handled the wind better than expected, and others capitalised on the late calm, but he didnt.
Out of it now, as McIlroy never comes back. The head down resignation body language started early yesterday after just one poor shot. He lacks competitive focus and drive.
Thought there was one last big one in him, but does look increasingly like Rory and majors is over. Its a good haul, but will always have that, why not more, question hanging.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Thought Rory was going to do it, with the draw conditions playing into his hands, good start, holing putts. But some handled the wind better than expected, and others capitalised on the late calm, but he didnt.
Out of it now, as McIlroy never comes back. The head down resignation body language started early yesterday after just one poor shot. He lacks competitive focus and drive.
Thought there was one last big one in him, but does look increasingly like Rory and majors is over. Its a good haul, but will always have that, why not more, question hanging.
You obviously haven't considered the "McSunday"

SatchFan

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Justin Thomas looking impressive and a nod to Rickie Fowler who's game at one point seemed to have deserted him.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
Rory is still well in this, but I can't say I'm surprised that he didn't perform yesterday. The next two days will either be:

A) A fantastic Saturday that puts him in the final group on Sunday, where he fades badly and never looks like winning.
Or
B) A poor Saturday puts him out of the running, but a fantastic Sunday leaves him in the top 3 which looks great in the record books, but the truth is that he never looked like he was going to win.

I hope I'm wrong, as I really like the guy and he is a fantastic player. But mentally, I've 'checked out' from the idea of him ever winning another major.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Rory is still well in this, but I can't say I'm surprised that he didn't perform yesterday. The next two days will either be:

A) A fantastic Saturday that puts him in the final group on Sunday, where he fades badly and never looks like winning.
Or
B) A poor Saturday puts him out of the running, but a fantastic Sunday leaves him in the top 3 which looks great in the record books, but the truth is that he never looked like he was going to win.

I hope I'm wrong, as I really like the guy and he is a fantastic player. But mentally, I've 'checked out' from the idea of him ever winning another major.
It's beginning to look a lot like B. I do wish I'd cashed out on Thursday night:mad:

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
How does Rory being frustrating to watch add up to me being irritated?
Unfortunately one good round doesn’t win the tournament.
It did sound like you were irritated by your first post.
I never said he would win anything but just thought he deserved a bit of praise for shooting the best round on the day.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Probably better for McIlroy that he doesnt shoot low tomorrow. The less the reality is highlighted that his world ranking is probably about 50th when winning is a possibility, but top 3 when he winning isnt, the better. He can really only play well now once its for show not titles.

evemccc

Visit site
McIlroy is currently tied 27th..with several Brits higher up than him

The BBC have him, right now, as he has always been, at the top of the Sports homepage with photo and in their main headline

I am no doubt sure that Sky have the same. It’s frankly pathetic. Hype and Cheerleading is not ‘news’

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'd say this is the last time for that though. A a four time major winner at a young age, it was fair for some years that he would press on, and so he deserved some slack. But it has become clearer over the last few years that his history is already written. This weekend will leave no one no longer under the illusion that he is a serious major contender.
He is still an interesting case though. Possibly biggest best golfer to worst competitor ratio we have seen.

evemccc

Visit site
I'd say this is the last time for that though. A a four time major winner at a young age, it was fair for some years that he would press on, and so he deserved some slack. But it has become clearer over the last few years that his history is already written. This weekend will leave no one no longer under the illusion that he is a serious major contender.
He is still an interesting case though. Possibly biggest best golfer to worst competitor ratio we have seen.

As much as I can tell from how he comes across in interviews, he seems a decent person and fairly down to earth - I have nothing bad to say about him —- But it’s the media cheerleading over certain people that annoys me, and for golf the British media only recognise Rory and Tiger

It seems to be worse these days with the internet than ever before….and the BBC online aren’t doing clickbait for ad revenue!

It’s not news, it’s just pathetic

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
It seems perverse suggesting a multiple major winner is an under achiever, but if this is to be McIlroy’s career from now on, then he really hasn’t made the best of his undoubted talent.

I know he still places on Tour, and with that comes ranking points and untold wealth, but he simply cannot string four rounds together when it really matters at the majors. His trait for too long has been to disappear from contention within no more than half a dozen holes after a string of silly mistakes and missed putts, when a true competitor digs in and grinds out a score.

He is beyond frustrating to watch because we all know what he is capable of. As a viewer, I just feel cheated watching him.