2017 Golf- Scotland

jamielaing

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I've started to consider where and what I want to play in next year. I've booked up to play in the Golf In Scotland Series and am playing at-

Largs
Renfrew
Glenbervie
Blairgowrie (Lansdowne)
Castle Stuart

I've come up with a shortlist for some others to play;

St Andrews (Old)
Muirfield
Trump International
Trump Turnberry
Blairgowrie (both)
Nairn
Scottscraig
Dunfermline
Pitreavie
Aberdour
Balbirnie
Ratho
Dalmahoy
Tain
Brora
North Berwick West
Craigielaw
Dunbar
The Glen
Burgess
Mar Hall

[SUP]I'd prefer to play in opens where possiblealthough a number of these are courses that won't have opens but I really wantto play (St Andrews for example).

Any others I should be considering? Or any must plays from the list? I amlooking to limit it to driving distance from Edinburgh or the Highlands.
[/SUP]
[SUB][SUP]
[/SUP][/SUB]

Albanach

Head Pro
Visit site
Work your way round the east neuk to courses like Crail, Elie, Leven, Lundin Links then venture a wee bit further towards Angus into Monifieth, Panmuir etc

DCB

Visit site
I certainly wouldn't rush to play Dalmahoy. Course has been spoiled by the changes they made and the greens never seem to be in good nick.

The Burgess is okay, but nothing special, if it's on the list I'd put Bruntsfield Links on the list as well

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
There is the King Trophy at Nairn.. off the blue tee's and is single fig only comp, its the only open. The next day Nairn Dunbar have there own King open.

Tain has quite a few opens as does Brora

Moray also has a fair few with a couple of 36 one of which is both courses that well worth it.

nickyj4

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm playing GIS again this year, think we are going to play Largs, Craigielaw, Pumphy and Baberton. Did a wee trip up North at the weekend and played Brora, Nairn, Dornoch and Castle Stuart. Would definitely recommend Brora for experience of the cows on the fairway and electric fences round the greens and Royal Dornoch was one of the best courses I've ever played.

I regularly play Marr Hall as my mates a member, good track but not overly testing. I would defo advise you add Prestwick St Nicholas to your list if you haven't played it.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I'm playing GIS again this year, think we are going to play Largs, Craigielaw, Pumphy and Baberton. Did a wee trip up North at the weekend and played Brora, Nairn, Dornoch and Castle Stuart. Would definitely recommend Brora for experience of the cows on the fairway and electric fences round the greens and Royal Dornoch was one of the best courses I've ever played.

I regularly play Marr Hall as my mates a member, good track but not overly testing. I would defo advise you add Prestwick St Nicholas to your list if you haven't played it.

why would you come up in to play in November?

jamielaing

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Some good options in there. A couple saying Dornoch but I played there this year twice. Great course. Karen Gullane is an omission, was sure it was in my list.

Unfortunately this is just for ideas, it'll be whittled down depending on open availability and dates as the season draws closer.

Will certainly look at the King Trophy Patrick.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Some good options in there. A couple saying Dornoch but I played there this year twice. Great course. Karen Gullane is an omission, was sure it was in my list.

Unfortunately this is just for ideas, it'll be whittled down depending on open availability and dates as the season draws closer.

Will certainly look at the King Trophy Patrick.

its the first Saturday in July and pretty much is filled up by the start of the season. The Dunbar one is the next day, but has to be entered sep as thet are run by each club

SAPCOR1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you are going to the North East for Tain, Nairn & Brora I would highly recommend dropping into Boat o' Garten. Great course with fabulous scenery and you may see an eagle or two of the feathered variety. Just turn off at Aviemore onto the Elgin road.

If you are heading to the Mull of Kintyre (sweep through the heather...) for the two Machrihanish courses don't forget Dunaverty.

Plenty also to choose from in the Aberdeen area as well as Ayrshire, East Lothian and Fife

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Renfrew = boring.

Kilmacolm or Ranfurly Castle are far superior in Renfrewshire. Paisley also is a really nice course.

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've started to consider where and what I want to play in next year. I've booked up to play in the Golf In Scotland Series and am playing at-

Largs
Renfrew
Glenbervie
Blairgowrie (Lansdowne)
Castle Stuart

I've come up with a shortlist for some others to play;

St Andrews (Old)
Muirfield
Trump International
Trump Turnberry
Blairgowrie (both)
Nairn
Scottscraig
Dunfermline
Pitreavie
Aberdour
Balbirnie
Ratho
Dalmahoy
Tain
Brora
North Berwick West
Craigielaw
Dunbar
The Glen
Burgess
Mar Hall

[SUP]I'd prefer to play in opens where possiblealthough a number of these are courses that won't have opens but I really wantto play (St Andrews for example).

Any others I should be considering? Or any must plays from the list? I amlooking to limit it to driving distance from Edinburgh or the Highlands.
[/SUP]
[SUB][/SUB]

The Scotscraig Open is normally the middle of May and is £22 just for your info

nickyj4

Assistant Pro
Visit site
why would you come up in to play in November?
Because we wanted a golfing weekend and it's the only time we could all manage, plus its cheaper to play these courses at this time of year. TBF we got great weather considering the time of year and the courses were all in great condition

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Because we wanted a golfing weekend and it's the only time we could all manage, plus its cheaper to play these courses at this time of year. TBF we got great weather considering the time of year and the courses were all in great condition

surely Nairns greens had been dug up when you went?... the graden usually makes no difference, but some bright spark thought it was good idea to use the fairway spiking machine on most of them and they have been ripped apart