Scotland Golf Trip

123*

Hacker
Visit site
Hello,

Myself and a few friends have organised a golf trip from the NE of England to the east coast of Scotland in the last week of July.

Although tight we are hoping that it will go ahead!

I was wondering if anyone had played the courses, I appreciate there's a lot of information online but would like some personal feedback on what your thoughts are of the courses? Also would you recommend switching to another in the area as we have made some difficult decisions as to which courses we had to bypass! Any must plays that we have missed out?!

Day 1 - Drive to Inverness, play at Pitlochry en route.
Day 2 - Play both courses at Royal Dornoch.
Day 3 - Cullen in the morning, Cruden Bay on the afternoon.
Day 4 - Course around St Andrews, not sure which one exactly, any recommendations? Ladybank on the afternoon.

Many thanks!

DCB

Visit site
Although the golf courses are back open now, the hotel industry is still in total lockdown with no realistic date being given yet for a return to business. It might be a bit early in late July for that reason alone.

123*

Hacker
Visit site
Although the golf courses are back open now, the hotel industry is still in total lockdown with no realistic date being given yet for a return to business. It might be a bit early in late July for that reason alone.

We are staying in Air BnB's so not sure how that impacts things?!

123*

Hacker
Visit site
Not sure what the restaurant situation will be like. You can of course cook for yourself if you are in a house.

That's the plan if worst comes to worst, really not fussed about drinking/eating out, going purely for the golf. I believe Air BnB's have remained open throughout this but obviously only key workers have been able to travel to use them as far as I understand it!

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Good for you, go for it.

If you are looking for course recommendations I haven't played too much up there.

Boat of Garten is fab. Grantown and Kingnussie are both nice.

Panmure near Carnoustie is a superb track.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
First night staying in Alness, second night in Findochty!

you would be better staying closer to Dornoch TBH, not much in Alness, well unless you want to score some crack:ROFLMAO:

why Cullen? its a long way to go not to play some of the better courses, unless you played those.

Moray would be higher on my list TBH, same with Pitlocry, i don't get why its popular myself

Last edited:

Zig

Visit site
I've done some of the courses you mention - bought them as a gift for my brother's a few years back. We went by train - total pain, but worth it for the views/experience. Car definitely more convenient!! ;) (Durham-Edinburgh-Perth-Inverness-Tain-Taxi to Dornoch!!) Our home course is Seaton Carew, so NE Eng-NE Sci too ;)

Royal Dornoch - amazing. Have to be 'on it' with your irons/approaches as the green complexes really are as good as people say. Putted lots from off the greens. Loved stretch along the beach from the 4th (could retire to the houses overlooking the course on the left). Par 3s are class. We were playing till something silly like 10PM, in the clubhouse afterwards, walking thro town on the night and didn't realise how late it was as it was still light. Awesome experience. We stayed in the Royal Golf Hotel which is on the left of the first hole too. Worth the journey, trying to do it again this summer in a package with Castle Stuart (and going to go to Cruden Bay, and then the Old Course on the way back - would love to hear what you think about Cruden Bay!).

Played Pitlochry last Easter. Loads of fun, drivable par 4s, stunning setting. Not a 'Championship' course, but definitely one that's worth playing and a respite from 7000 yarders.

St Andrews - got to try in the ballot for me (or if they release some of the tee times international travellers might free up). The knee-knocking tee shot on the first and approach into 18 are worth the green fee alone. We got it with the Jubilee and the New, and both were great (though not in the same category as Dornoch etc).

Other thoughts: Carnoustie is brilliant, and not too much of a diversion on your way back if you weren't to play St Andrews. Blairgowrie for an inland track if you've had enough links experiences.

Wild card: I'd driven past Scotland's 'Golf Coast' too many times - my mistake. Could be a way of breaking up the journey on the way home if you don't get fixed around St Andrews. Muirfield, Gullane and Kilspindie were all fab.

Enjoy - and look forward to reading about your travels!

123*

Hacker
Visit site
you would be better staying closer to Dornoch TBH, not much in Alness, well unless you want to score some crack:ROFLMAO:

why Cullen?

We have a 7 hour drive with a round in between so I think we will be heading straight to bed to be honest so not too fussed about the lack of things to do ha, although if we're not too tired could potentially sneak 9 in at Alness GC, looked quite nice from the website?

Few reasons for Cullen, it was cheap which always helps after paying £240 at Dornoch! It's quite short so will be easier on the legs as we will be playing a lot of golf, finally it looked great on the No Laying Up video, really appealed to us even though it's probably not everyones cup of tea from what I can tell!

I assume you are a member at Nairn? We debated that but it was probably a choice between Nairn, Cruden Bay, Castle Stuart and Royal Aberdeen for that sort of green fee, in the end we settled on Cruden Bay, probably due to it's ratings it had on some of the websites we read!

123*

Hacker
Visit site
I've done some of the courses you mention - bought them as a gift for my brother's a few years back. We went by train - total pain, but worth it for the views/experience. Car definitely more convenient!! ;) (Durham-Edinburgh-Perth-Inverness-Tain-Taxi to Dornoch!!) Our home course is Seaton Carew, so NE Eng-NE Sci too ;)

Royal Dornoch - amazing. Have to be 'on it' with your irons/approaches as the green complexes really are as good as people say. Putted lots from off the greens. Loved stretch along the beach from the 4th (could retire to the houses overlooking the course on the left). Par 3s are class. We were playing till something silly like 10PM, in the clubhouse afterwards, walking thro town on the night and didn't realise how late it was as it was still light. Awesome experience. We stayed in the Royal Golf Hotel which is on the left of the first hole too. Worth the journey, trying to do it again this summer in a package with Castle Stuart (and going to go to Cruden Bay, and then the Old Course on the way back - would love to hear what you think about Cruden Bay!).

Played Pitlochry last Easter. Loads of fun, drivable par 4s, stunning setting. Not a 'Championship' course, but definitely one that's worth playing and a respite from 7000 yarders.

St Andrews - got to try in the ballot for me (or if they release some of the tee times international travellers might free up). The knee-knocking tee shot on the first and approach into 18 are worth the green fee alone. We got it with the Jubilee and the New, and both were great (though not in the same category as Dornoch etc).

Other thoughts: Carnoustie is brilliant, and not too much of a diversion on your way back if you weren't to play St Andrews. Blairgowrie for an inland track if you've had enough links experiences.

Wild card: I'd driven past Scotland's 'Golf Coast' too many times - my mistake. Could be a way of breaking up the journey on the way home if you don't get fixed around St Andrews. Muirfield, Gullane and Kilspindie were all fab.

Enjoy - and look forward to reading about your travels!

That's brilliant, thanks for that, really appreciate it!

We did look at trains but it looked a hellish journey to get around where we wanted. Only played Seaton once on boxing day and was in unbelievable condition, slightly different to what we were used to playing inland!

Carnoustie looked great and one of the lads really wants to play it but not sure I can justify that much for 18 holes, especially when I can get 36 and overnight stay for pretty much the same price at Trump International.

Going to try for the ballot, I'm happy to play on my own but I know a couple of the lads don't want to and would prefer to play with someone they know so might be a bit difficult.

Trying to convince them that a trip around North Berwick on the way back would be the perfect finisher but not sure how keen they are for another round!

Reactions: Zig

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
We have a 7 hour drive with a round in between so I think we will be heading straight to bed to be honest so not too fussed about the lack of things to do ha, although if we're not too tired could potentially sneak 9 in at Alness GC, looked quite nice from the website?

Few reasons for Cullen, it was cheap which always helps after paying £240 at Dornoch! It's quite short so will be easier on the legs as we will be playing a lot of golf, finally it looked great on the No Laying Up video, really appealed to us even though it's probably not everyones cup of tea from what I can tell!

I assume you are a member at Nairn? We debated that but it was probably a choice between Nairn, Cruden Bay, Castle Stuart and Royal Aberdeen for that sort of green fee, in the end we settled on Cruden Bay, probably due to it's ratings it had on some of the websites we read!

yes a member at Nairn, just had £1m upgrade and the Am championship is back there in couple of years.

Alness can be quite rough, so i wouldnt rec wandering the streets, check out FB Gadgie shore and Alness banter, will give you a flavour:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
I personally wouldn't want to travel too far after 36 holes, the struie is very easy walking and you should be able to get round relative quick, the championship is hard, takes no prisoners if you don't play well, easy driving course though all the trouble is on the 2nd ... or 3rd shot... esp on the 2nd:ROFLMAO: but with no yanks taking 5 hours with caddies should be better pace of play, neither are long though struie is about 6000 even off the back tee and Champ not much longer as they don't usually let off the medal tee.

prob take you 2 half hours to get to Buckie from Alness if you are lucky

Moray isn't that expensive and you have Hopman just before it, Cullen is fun, but i wouldn't be coming all that way myself.

another one to consider is Fortrose, quirking and short just north of Inverness, stick out into the Moray firth, i would play that ahead of Pitlochry.

enjoy the trip and come back and let us know how you get on

Last edited:

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Hope your lucky and your trip goes ahead, good choice of courses I think, I’ve played Pitlochry steep walk on the first few holes but worth it for the views, Royal Dornoch is a must play unfortunately I got heavy rain on the last 6 holes so don’t remember to much about them, the first is not a great hole but it certainly gets better the day I played I was put with 3 yanks from Texas they played a different game from us lots of mulligans etc. ?

I also watched no laying up with Cullen and Cruden Bay and I’m definitely going to try and play there next year , Cullen looks a real fun course to play and Cruden Bay gets rave reviews from some that have played it on here.

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
Hello,

Myself and a few friends have organised a golf trip from the NE of England to the east coast of Scotland in the last week of July.

I was wondering if anyone had played the courses, I appreciate there's a lot of information online but would like some personal feedback on what your thoughts are of the courses? Also would you recommend switching to another in the area as we have made some difficult decisions as to which courses we had to bypass! Any must plays that we have missed out?!

Day 4 - Course around St Andrews, not sure which one exactly, any recommendations? Ladybank on the afternoon.

Many thanks!

I'd play Boat of Garten rather than Pitlochry if you can - Pitlochry has great scenery and a few smashing holes, the Boat has great scenery and lots of decent holes

Dornoch is a no brainer

Cullen is brilliant fun, Cruden is insane

St Andrews, any of the courses on the property are decent.

Partick is right about Fortrose though - lovely course - watch out for dolphins in the Firth

JohnnyRevolta35

Visit site

Many thanks![/QUOTE]

Some great courses there, should be a great trip.
Just like Davidy above, I would suggest Boat of Garten instead of Pitlochry. Pitlochry is decent, but The Boat is the better course.
If you're in Carnoustie area, would definitely recommend game at Panmure, fantastic course, good variety of holes. Outwith the Scottish courses on the Open rota, this is one of the very best links in Scotland, if not the best in my opinion.
If unable to get on there, another hidden gem a few miles along coast is Arbroath - not as tough (or as expensive) as it's illustrious neighbours, but a solid test nonetheless, especially if the wind blows, which it usually is! Classic James Braid links, off an original design by Old Tom Morris, clearly highlighted by the excellent bunkering around many of the greens.
Would recommend the Eden course at St. Andrews, by far the most playable and enjoyable course at the home of golf, again a good test if the wind blows.