2010 course

Gazzery

Club Champion
Visit site
Hi guys & gals

Had a great day at the Welsh open yesterday, weather was hot and not a lot of shade.

It was great to be close up to the pro's and see how to really hit the ball, pity there wasent a few more top players there.

The course was in excellent condition, but i do have to agree with the earlier comments to my post, that the 2010 course is not exciting to look at.

Its great for watching, plenty of good spectator points, but a very ordinery looking course.. not pretty and no WOW factor, but should be great for the Ryder Cup

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
It will look like a different course to the one you see this week as it will have crowds of 10 or so deep all the way down the sides of each hole.

crux

Club Champion
gonewhackit.blogspot.com
Thinking of going down on Saturday but I have not been to a golf tourney before.

Mainly want to see the pro's on the range, does the range have good close viewing facilities or are you just stood at the side miles away?

stef92

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Have you ever played the course? Trust me, it is far from boring! The 3rd,5th,6th,11th,12th,13th,14th,15th, and 18th all have water on, that is half the course! The whole course is set up for risk/reward! And I do think that the scenery is stunning actually. Sorry I just think your wrong on this one…

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
Doesn't change the fact he course is pants though.

I've played it and would say it's a long way from being pants. You pick pretty much any one of the holes and transport it to another top course and it will fit right in.

The course is the first (and only, so far) course designed specifically for the RC and to get as many people down there round the holes watching the action. You wouldn't be able to get 10% of the people down there if it was treelined and such like.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
This doesn't address the main issue though. Come September, all 18 holes will have water on them, and some of them will need scuba gear to play.

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
You obviously haven't been there Murph, water it will be able to handle. They have added even more drainage to what they had last year and that was capable of moving biblical amounts to keep last years Wales Open going.

It is nearly always fog bound down in the valley early in the morning though and any delays because of that will make the matches hard to finish on time.

slugger

Tour Rookie
Visit site
http://www.celtic-manor.com/downloadImage.aspx?imgID=838

http://www.celtic-manor.com/downloadImage.aspx?imgType=courseslideshow-ss1&imgID=51

http://www.celtic-manor.com/downloadImage.aspx?imgType=courseslideshow-ss1&imgID=55

yep... looks really "pants"!!!!!!!

looks interesting to me and a lot of risk and reward with huge bunkers and so much water to play over, and that's the thing about the water, it comes into play quite a bit, rather than just being something pretty some way away from the fairway.

looks a cracker to me.

Gazzery

Club Champion
Visit site
Hi

I dont recall saying it was boring ? and its my opinion that i think it could look better, so i cant be wrong !

It is a challenging course yes, but just dosent do it for me ok

HughJars

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Have you ever played the course? Trust me, it is far from boring! The 3rd,5th,6th,11th,12th,13th,14th,15th, and 18th all have water on, that is half the course! The whole course is set up for risk/reward! And I do think that the scenery is stunning actually. Sorry I just think your wrong on this one…
Trust me, I've played it, and was thoroughly underwhelmed. The 15th is a joke of a hole. Stunning scenery? You're laregely stuck down in the delta, you see very little.

I agree there is a ton of risk reward, so it may very well make a great Ryder Cup venue, but lkike the pros, I think it's rubbish.

HughJars

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Doesn't change the fact he course is pants though.

I've played it and would say it's a long way from being pants. You pick pretty much any one of the holes and transport it to another top course and it will fit right in.

The course is the first (and only, so far) course designed specifically for the RC and to get as many people down there round the holes watching the action. You wouldn't be able to get 10% of the people down there if it was treelined and such like.
Being good for spectators doesn't make it a good course.

AliB

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
It's main advantages are access, infrastructure etc rather than beauty, but wondering what they'll do about stands?
18th is a 'natural amphitheatre' but it's uneven ground with all kinds of slopes. don't see how they will do the seating, unles they put most spectators up 'in the gods' where the tented village is now.
those 2010 members could be the only ones with a decent view and somewhere to sit!

But got to hope it will all be 'all right on the night' or we'll get it in the neck from our visitors.

AliB