117 and counting

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
Stuart_C's post about Ireland got me reminiscing about courses of old and funnily enough I was chatting with his namesame, StuartD, yesterday about courses we'd played. I told him I was now up to 117 with Pumpherston on the list. 92 in Scotland now. Stuart reckoned he was in the 30s and only once abroad (Goswick!!!)...but he had forgotten he'd played in Vegas! Doh.

Here's the 18 holers I've played over the last 30 years. Notable absentees. Loch Lomond, Royal Troon, Muirfield and the K Club. I want to play those sometime.

Hopefully this list will get some of you thinking about your number and remind you of a few you've forgotten.

Aberdeen West Hill
Aberdour, Fife
Anstruther
Archerfield Links (Fidra)
Archerfield Links (Dirleton)
Auchterarder
Blairgowrie, Rosemount
Boat of Garten
Braids 1
Braids 2
Broomieknowe G.C.
Brora
Bruntsfield Links, Edinburgh
Carnoustie, Championship
Carnoustie, Burnside
Castle Park, Gifford
Castle Stuart
Colville Park Country Club, Motherwell
Carrick Knowe
Craigentinny
Craigielaw
Craigmillar Park
Crieff
Cruden Bay G.C
Dalmahoy (East)
Dalmahoy (West)
Downfield, Dundee
Dunbar G.C.
Dundonald Links
Duddingston GC
Dunkeld & Birnam
Duns
Durness
Elgin
Forres
Fortrose & Rosemarkie
Glen G.C., North Berwick
Glencorse G.C
Glenrothes
Gullane 1
Gullane 2
Gullane 3
Haddington
Hayston, Kirkintilloch
Kilspindie
Kings Acre
Kingsbarns
Kingussie
Kinross, The Montgomery
Ladybank
Lenzie
Letham Grange, Arbroath
Leven Thistle
Liberton
Linlithgow
Longniddry
Lothianburn, Edinburgh
Lundin Links
Machrie, Islay
Macrahanish
Merchants of Edinburgh
Moray, Old
Moray, New
Mortonhall
Muckhart
Murrayfield
Musselburgh, Monktonhall
Musselburgh Old Course G.C.
Nairn
Nairn Dunbar
Newbattle G.C., Eskbank, Dalkeith
Newtonmore
North Berwick, West Links
Prestonfield
Pumpherston
Royal Burgess, Edinburgh
Royal Dornoch, Championship
Royal Dornoch, Struie
Royal Musselburgh
Scotscraig G.C., Tayport, Fife
Silverknowes
St Andrew’s, The Castle Course
St Andrew’s, The Jubilee Course
St Andrew’s, The Old Course
Spey Valley
Swanston
Tain G.C.
Troon, Darley
Turnberry, Ailsa
Turnberry, Kintyre
Uphall
Whitekirk
Ballybunion New
Ballybunion Old
Cork (Little Island)
Killarney, Killeen
Killarney, O’Mahony’s Point
Rosses Point, County Sligo (Lahinch)
Royal County Down
Royal Portrush
Tralee
Waterville
Barnham Broom
Formby
Moor Hall
Royal Liverpool
Royal Lytham & St Anne’s
The Belfry, Brabazon
Goswick G.C., Northumberland
Bamburgh Castle G.C., Northumberland
Alto Golf, Potugal
Parque Da Floresta, Potugal
Penina, Portugal
Quinta do Lago, Portugal
Vale de Pinta, Portugal
The Lost City Course, Sun City, R.S.A.
The Gary Player Country Club, Sun City, R.S.A

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
An impressive list there John i'm know on 68 after playing the Riverside course at Portstewart last friday still a long way from catching you tho.

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
I was just thinking it's only getting harder to add "top" courses to the list with the price of green fees nowadays, Steve. Glad I played those Irish courses when I did!

Probably have to do a special one for my 100th Scottish course. Reckon I'll be about 45 at the time so might save up for Muirfield. At least it's just a saunter down the road.

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
I know John after Stuarts post i looked at Ballybunion and Tralee 180 EURO a time is expensive but you only live once. We were doing some checking for next year as we want to play Ardglass,Portsalon and Roseapenna and the green fees are very reasonable,so it doesn't have to be to expensive to play cracking courses.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Jeez John, how do you remember them all?

Aberdalgie
Allen Park
Ardglass
Belvoir Park
Balmoral GC
Ballyclare GC
Ballymena GC
Baltray GC
Bangor GC
Banbridge GC
Blackwood
Bright Castle
Carnalea GC
Castlereagh Hills GC
Clandeboye GC Dufferin Course
Clandeboye GC Ava Course
Cliftonville GC
Crossgar GC
Castle Stuart
Donaghadee GC
Downpatrick GC
Dunfanaghy
Dunmurry GC
Edenmore GC
Fortwilliam GC
Galgorm Castle GC
Gracehill GC
Greenisland GC
Helens Bay GC
Hilton Templepatrick GC
Holywood GC
Kirkistown GC
Knock GC
Lisburn GC
Lurgan GC
Mahee Island
Malone GC
Mount Ober GC
Nairn GC
Ormeau GC
Ringdufferin
Rockmount GC
Royal Belfast
Royal Co Down
Royal Co Down Annesley Course
Scrabo
Shandon Park GC
Silverwood
Spa
Spey Valley
Temple Golf Club

51 and have played each one quite a few times except for the scottish courses and Edenmore (just the once) Definately another two on the north coasst but cant remember which ones, one had a caravan park and you could cut the corner nearly over the caravans!
Looking forward to the next 50 odd too!

Grumps

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I collect a ball marker when I play a new course so I think I'm on 72 courses most in and round Edinburgh with only 8 oversees and 2 in england (belfys)

Always look forward to playing a new course too

Dodger

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
A fair few in Paddy land there JF.......it is somewhere that I have only a small experiance of but I would love to play more at especially the more affordable Northern Ireland!!

I remember jotting down numbers a while back and got to around 200 with a fine array from utter,utter crap to some noteable courses.

This year I have or will be adding a fair few more onto the list and luckily they are mostly top notch ones at a fraction of the usual cost with Royal Aberdeen only costing me £30,Castle Stuart £50 (Total bargain),Rosemount £30 (was it?!),Elie £20 and Royal Liverpool £35.

Canny beat the excitement you get before you play a new course especially if that new one is one that you have heard plenty good reports about.

julsk10

Head Pro
Visit site
I know John after Stuarts post i looked at Ballybunion and Tralee 180 EURO a time is expensive but you only live once. We were doing some checking for next year as we want to play Ardglass,Portsalon and Roseapenna and the green fees are very reasonable,so it doesn't have to be to expensive to play cracking courses.

Would agree Steve 3 excellent courses for reasonable money. Ardglass is a right distance from the other two though.

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
John,
Anstruther is just a 9 holer, why's that on there?

Eek! Well spotted Stu. But as an ex-lawyer I have a get out clause, of course.

We went down to Fife on a school trip from Nairn when I was 16. Played Anstruther & 4 others. You're correct of course. Anstruther is a 9 holer. BUT we also played Crail which is an 18 holer. I clearly got the 2 mixed up and put Anstruther on the 18 hole list by mistake and Crail on my 9 hole list. Phew. You had me worried there.

The other 9 holers I've played are therefore now Anstruther, Nairn (Newton), Glenalmond School, Portobello and Hopeman (which I played before they extended it to an 18 holer).

Spot any others and I'm coming up there to have a word!

Dodger

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
John you will need to make it 118 and come down to The Hirsel,it is in superb nick at the moment...best to play before mid September though so give me a shout if you fancy a knock....I think you would love it.

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
Had a wee look at the website, Dodger. Looks lovely. Good photos and scoresaver thingy. Is that you that's the secretary or is that your dad? Maybe do that someday.

"Jeez John, how do you remember them all?"

Brendy, I acquired a map from a golf mag of every course in the UK a few years ago and just went through it alphabetically. I've also kept old cards and scoresavers from those I've played so tying it in was easy. The computer looks after it all from then on. Like Grumps I started collecting logo'd ballmarkers from every course I've played too. These things add up nowadays!

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
How on *earth* do you remember the 117 courses that you've played?!

Off hand these are the ones I can remember:

Belton Park GC
DeVere Belton Woods - Lakes Course
DeVere Belton Woods - Woods Course
Stoke Rochford GC
Woodlands GC Bristol
The White Witch, Jamaica
Sandals, Ocho Rios Jamaica
Maplewood GC, Nr. Seattle
TPC Snoqualmie Ridge
DeVere Carden Park

Blimey! My memory is appauling. I've most certainly played more than 10 golf courses in my time yet can't remember them! I'm only 26 and my memory is failing me already! :D

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site

Would agree Steve 3 excellent courses for reasonable money. Ardglass is a right distance from the other two though.

Your right julsk10, we're there for a week but normally play Ballycastle first on the way up the road to Coleraine ,we just thought we'd change it.

We play Ballycastle,Castlerock,Portstewart and Royal Portrush and normally one of the courses at Ballyliffin but next year we'll give Ballyliffin a miss and go to Portsalon on the Friday the Roseapenna on the Saturday, its a great weeks golfing with plenty Guinness thrown in.

B

birdieman

I've played only 49 18 holers. Didn't play golf from ages 21 to 33 however so that might explain the low number. Played 1 in Wales, 4 in England and 44 in Scotland. Have also played ten 9 hole courses of which 2 were abroad so only 59 courses in total.
50 18 holers is just round the corner but I haven't any games planned this year anywhere new, however down in Wales in October on holiday, might try and get on Abersoch. Also Harlech is supposed to be good, right? Aberdovey also looks good but it's much further away.
Saying that with wife, kids and dog there usually ain't any room for the sticks in the car, might have to wait until next year for no. 50.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I think I am up to 115 approx. My list is at home. I have played more courses in Florida than I have in Wales, Scotland and Ireland combined. Sad.