Inverness 2014, Royal Dornoch, Castle Stuart and more

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Alright Pete, i'm a maybe depending on the date . It's my wedding anniversary at then of May (28th) so a golfing trip over that would go down like a fart in a space suit.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Alright Pete, i'm a maybe depending on the date . It's my wedding anniversary at then of May (28th) so a golfing trip over that would go down like a fart in a space suit.

## Awkward ##

Either deny you a chance, or your kid a chance as that week is the school hols.

It is a bank holiday Monday on June 3rd. If we went Thursday 29th, we could come back on the B/H Monday. That way it's only Thursday and Friday off work and still 4 nights away.

Birchy is checking with the courses to see if the twilights are the weekend also, and if the Monday counts as a weekday or a weekend rate. We will post up date options once we have this info. Then we will probably have to go on most popular dates.

Take her out on the previous saturday, that way you can do a Sunday brekky in bed.:whistle:

Marge proops has nothing on me....... :cool:

Karl102

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
## Awkward ##

It is a bank holiday Monday on June 3rd. If we went Thursday 29th, we could come back on the B/H Monday. That way it's only Thursday and Friday off work and still 4 nights away.

Birchy is checking with the courses to see if the twilights are the weekend also, and if the Monday counts as a weekday or a weekend rate. We will post up date options once we have this info. Then we will probably have to go on most popular dates.

Take her out on the previous saturday, that way you can do a Sunday brekky in bed.:whistle:

Haha.... It's ok mate.... Would gladly step aside, I can't complain I get13 weeks holiday a year. Am happy for you to go with what's easiest for everyone...

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
## Awkward ##

I would say, id be sup if you were allowed the twilight rate at the weekend, I would suggest playing Dornoch and Nairn on a weekday (monday would be a week day as most don'y have a bank holiday up here) and CS and a cheaper option at the weekend , or avoid the weekend full stop, even the smaller clubs charge double for the weekend as its the busy days for their members

Birchy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I would say, id be sup if you were allowed the twilight rate at the weekend, I would suggest playing Dornoch and Nairn on a weekday (monday would be a week day as most don'y have a bank holiday up here) and CS and a cheaper option at the weekend , or avoid the weekend full stop, even the smaller clubs charge double for the weekend as its the busy days for their members

Ive been looking at the online booking at some of the courses and Patrick is right. The twilight prices don't seem to show for weekends. Dornoch and Nairn don't show them on their online booking.

Birchy

Money List Winner
Visit site
List of possibles up to now

Birchy
Liverbirdie
Bluewolf
StuC
Valentino
Huds1475
Qwerty
Patricks148
Gregbwfc
Karl102
Junior
Five&one
NWJocko
Fish
Scouser

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
List of possibles up to now

Birchy
Liverbirdie
Bluewolf
StuC
Valentino
Huds1475
Qwerty
Patricks148
Gregbwfc
Karl102
Junior
Five&one
NWJocko
Fish
Scouser

I've only seen about 5 minutes of the golf at Castle stuart this week. I've sky+'ed the highlights programme tonight and will watch tomorrow.

Has CS whetted anyone's appetite, or is it a goat track?

Me and Birchy will post up possible dates in the next day or two.

Birchy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've only seen about 5 minutes of the golf at Castle stuart this week. I've sky+'ed the highlights programme tonight and will watch tomorrow.

Has CS whetted anyone's appetite, or is it a goat track?

Me and Birchy will post up possible dates in the next day or two.

I watched it and it looked superb. Some of the tee shots look scary good :D

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
It looked great mate. Well worth a visit. I'm just sweating on dates. Not too bad for you Monday to Friday workers, but pick the wrong dates for me and I'd probably have to try and cover 5 nights!!! Not easy when there's only 3 other people in the company who can cover for me. Fingers crossed though as the Missus has given it the green light....

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I watched it and it looked superb. Some of the tee shots look scary good :D

What??

Which tee shots are they then?

Castle Stuart has some of the widest fairways on a links course you are every likely to find... that why the pro's (well some of them) love it blast off the tee and still find the ball.... the greens on the other hand are V V tricky.

Birchy

Money List Winner
Visit site
What??

Which tee shots are they then?

Castle Stuart has some of the widest fairways on a links course you are every likely to find... that why the pro's (well some of them) love it blast off the tee and still find the ball.... the greens on the other hand are V V tricky.

I just meant the way they are perched up and the views from some of them look amazing. The fairways are wide but in proper weather I bet they can still be missed :D

The greens did look a bit harem scarem too, 5 putt central I reckon :rofl:

Looks like a fantastic spot though :thup: Cant wait to see the other courses too.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Hello all,

Me and Birchy have contacted the courses and although they don’t have their diaries done for 2014, there are 3 potential dates for you to consider.

Also consider the following, which is important:-

Number of people who will attend – generally the main kicker.

Cost of courses (Nairn only do twilights in July, not May or June, and don’t give group discounts)

Cost of accommodation (bank holiday weekends/school hols are more expensive)

Time off work

Some may only decide to go for 3 nights instead of the full 4 nights (5 days golfing)

Castle Stuart will still do our “industry rate” £75 instead of £ 175 and will do it on the weekend

Royal Dornoch will do a twilight over the weekend

Nairn only do twilights in July and August (these can also only be booked 2 weeks in advance, so can’t be guaranteed)

At the moment we have the following as the highest/lowest options for the courses:-

Top weekend price (2013) Cheapest option 2013/2014

Royal Dornoch £110 £65 Twilight in June

Castle Stuart £175 £75 - if we get the right numbers and probably midweek, yes £100 saving

Nairn £110 £75

Other courses to be advised.

Normal full price is £ 395 Potential price £ 215 Saving £180

Best option price wise:-

Option 1

(upside - accomodation is cheaper, Nairn is cheaper) 3 days holiday used

Travel - Saturday 28[SUP]th[/SUP] June Royal Dornoch after 6 (we can have a kip in the afternoon, after arriving)

Sunday 29[SUP]th[/SUP] June (Castle Stuart)

Monday 30[SUP]th[/SUP] June Moray/Tain or other

Tuesday 1[SUP]st[/SUP] July (Nairn on twilight)

Wednesday travel back boat of garten/Silloth/southerness

Option 2

(upside - only two work days used)

(downside - accom may be more expensive)

Travel – Saturday 24[SUP]th[/SUP] May

Sunday 25[SUP]th[/SUP] May

Monday 26[SUP]th[/SUP] May (bank holiday England and Scotland)

Tuesday 27[SUP]th[/SUP] May

Wednesday travel back

Option 3

(upside accom should be ok as Scottish schools are in) 3 days holiday used

Travel Thursday 29[SUP]th[/SUP] May (schools off)

Friday 30[SUP]th[/SUP] May (schools off)

Saturday 31[SUP]st[/SUP] May

Sunday 1[SUP]st[/SUP] June

Travel back Monday 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] June

We would probably play Castle Stuart on the weekend, possibly also royal Dornoch. Nairn would only be during the week to save on cost.

After these three are sorted, we may also consider Moray, Tain, Boat of garten, and maybe Southerness/Silloth for on the way back (or there, as a half way stop for the NW guys).

It is up to people if they want to go for 3 or 4 nights, but I think it is worth the 3 days off work, to get all the great courses in, whilst up near Inverness, as it is so out of the way, for us Sassenachs.

I’ve just put the course options next to the 1[SUP]st[/SUP] option, just as an illustration. All prices are based on 2013 prices, prices will probably go up slightly for next year, unless they let us secure the prices now.

Some of the courses normally require full payment in advance, which 11 months before is daft. We are hoping to do it in staged payments of 30% in the next month or so, balance to be paid in February.

As I always say, if people pay their deposits, it is up to them to sell it on, not us, or lose the money.

Accommodation and travel is up to individuals to sort (although we’ll try and get a group deal), but I’m sure we can sort something out between us all, or we may have a separate travel secretary – any offers?

Birchy has already found some cheap 3 bed caravans which work out at £20 pppn, I think, so you can do it as little as £80 for accommodation. I think I may look at deals on guest houses.

So for now, without waffling on or taking the thread off line (Scouser), please initially advise what options you can do out of the above 3, or which multiples you can do.

BTW This is open to all, not just a north west thing, so lets be having you....:thup:

Last edited:

gregbwfc

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Thanks LB and Birchy.:thup:
I'll be able to do any of those but would prefer option 3 - Bank Holiday out the way.
I'll be looking at guest houses too Pete - don't need to be staying in a caravan :p

Mentioned Tain to Birchy at the start and I love the idea of Southerness or Silloth on the way back.
Southerness would only be an hour out of our way total I reckon.
All looks good, let's make it happen.

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
Won't be able to let you know until I go back into work in early August. Best to let you guys pick a date then see if my ridiculous rota will fit around it...:thup:

Birchy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Option 2 or 3 for me. Option 1 is very doubtful for me.

I have found some decent looking b&b's for 30 pppn so that could be a good option. We might get it cheaper if we book a place out etc between a few of us.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Option 2 or 3 for me. Option 1 is very doubtful for me.

I have found some decent looking b&b's for 30 pppn so that could be a good option. We might get it cheaper if we book a place out etc between a few of us.

If for some reason Birchy can't do a certain date - we're not going then. Period!

He has done many hours, if not tens of hours in researching this with me, so if he aint going, we aint going. Birchy, just make sure, but if most go for the other options anyway, they will be the options.

Birchy

Money List Winner
Visit site
If for some reason Birchy can't do a certain date - we're not going then. Period!

He has done many hours, if not tens of hours in researching this with me, so if he aint going, we aint going. Birchy, just make sure, but if most go for the other options anyway, they will be the options.

If one is overwhelming favourite then i will see what i can do but theres so many things that can stop me for that one i dont even wanna try to get round them unless i have to :D

Lets see what the masses say anyway :thup: