Inverness 2014, Royal Dornoch, Castle Stuart and more

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
A cooled sunset over the links of Royal Dornoch, bottle nosed dolphins with arched backs larking alongside Castle Stuart in the Moray firth, a lone Kestrel soaring above the boat of garten, even this far inland. Why not Nairn in bloom, in the month of June?

What do you mean, the missus won’t give you that long a pass? Ok, maybe bring her along then, take in a moonlit castle on a twilight walk. Will someone please stop him.........ok, turn off the Mantovani.

Well people this could be epic, or it could be a big damp squib. This could be a legendary road trip with tales of derring-do, great weather, fabulous company and many, beers.

A chance for the meeting of the clans. Whether it be the Jocks and the Geordies, the Scouse dandies. The brummies, the yorkies, southerners on shandies. It may be the Saltire v St. George, oldies v kiddies it doesn’t matter at this stage. What does matter is that your’e a good lad/lady, and defo not shady, a hail fellow well met/up for a side bet, not a crying-arse, door hinge but out for a good golfing and ale binge.

This one isn’t going to be easy, but me and Birchy (who has done well more spade work than me – thanks Scott, honorable mention to Patricks148 also, for some helpful advice) reckon with the right numbers it could be a lot of fun. We have nailed down the golf clubs and the easiest thing to do is we just sort the golf and everyone else sorts out their own accommodation and transport. However, once we have an idea of numbers and commitment, we can then look at accommodation after that, but it may still be left to do on a group by group basis.

Some people may not be able to get a 4 night away pass, so it will be built around 3 main courses, with others just being tagged on depending upon numbers and requirements.
The three it will be built around are as follows:-

Royal Dornoch , Castle Stuart, and possibly Nairn, if they come to the table price-wise.

There may also be an optional game at the boat of Garten, but that may also change to Tain, Moray firth or others. There may also be a half-way stop for the northern English raiders in mid-Scotland either on the way up or back, to break the journey up. Maybe somewhere like Lanark.

At the moment we have the following as the highest/lowest options for the courses:-

Top weekend price (2013) / Cheapest option 2013/2014

Royal Dornoch £110 / £65 Twilight in June

Castle Stuart £175 / £75 - if we get the numbers and probably midweek, yes £100 saving!

Nairn £ 110 / ** stop press ** No discount as it stands, so may go elsewhere

Boat of Garten £ 47 / £ 25.00 twilight

Top price total based on 2013 prices is £ 442. Cheapest golf only option based on 2013 is approx £ 240.00.
A potential saving of over £200, which will probably pay for your travel/accommodation.

Obviously 1-2 rounds will probably be over the weekend, so it might go up slightly, and also for 2014.

All in all, with acommodation options being anything from £80 - £200 (in total) each for varying levels of comfort and travel, it could be anything between £380 and £ 600 plus, before spends. There are cheap caravan options for £20 a night, various guest house accomodation or even cottages that can sleep 14 with a snooker table/pool table/table tennis games room option, in what looks like a baronial seat of power.

The north west flatcappers may get a mini-bus up, if enough willing, but for now let's just concentrate on the golf, the other can take care of itself.

It will either be the May/June week when the kids are off, or in June 2014, subject to interest. Overall, we may do it as Wednesday to Sunday, or Saturday till Wednesday, which for most will mean 3 days off work. Some may only do 3 nights and it will change accordingly, but the expensive ones will probably be done on the weekdays, so you miss out on one or two of them, depending on finalised plans.

If you were to do this with just a few mates it would cost you a bomb, but as part of a larger group, it should be heavily discounted. The plan would be to agree the dates (for the majority), collect a deposit for the golf only in the next month or so. Look into accommodation options in the next 2 months, put a deposit on that. That way, you can pay a third approx 10 months before, pay the rest in early 2014 and just get your spends together nearer the time we go.

So if you can get a 3 or 4 night pass from HID, you want to play some of the most scenic, out the bloody way courses in our fair isles, you can afford the moolah, get your name down here.:thup:

Also advise if June is ok, or the school holidays May/June 2014.

Last edited:

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Re: Inverness 2014, Royal Dornoch/Castle Stuart and more

Dont discount Spey Valley, its a pretty good course too. Pity it lashed down all day when we played it.

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
Put me down as a definately maybe Pete. I could try and swing it as a 40th birthday treat with the boys. I'll confirm availability as soon as the dates are sorted.

Sounds like you and Scotty boy are outdoing me and Dave on the organisation front....:thup:

D

Deleted member 1740

That was a bit long winded Pedro!

Put me Down as a possible, I can't fully commit til the dates are confirmed.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
A cooled sunset over the links of Royal Dornoch, bottle nosed dolphins with arched backs larking alongside Castle Stuart in the Moray firth, a lone Kestrel soaring above the boat of garten, even this far inland. Why not Nairn in bloom, in the month of June?

What do you mean, the missus won’t give you that long a pass? Ok, maybe bring her along then, take in a moonlit castle on a twilight walk. Will someone please stop him.........ok, turn off the Mantovani.

Well people this could be epic, or it could be a big damp squib. This could be a legendary road trip with tales of derring-do, great weather, fabulous company and many, beers.

A chance for the meeting of the clans. Whether it be the Jocks and the Geordies, the Scouse dandies. The brummies, the yorkies, southerners on shandies. It may be the Saltire v St. George, oldies v kiddies it doesn’t matter at this stage. What does matter is that your’e a good lad/lady, and defo not shady, a hail fellow well met/up for a side bet, not a crying-arse, door hinge but out for a good golfing and ale binge.

This one isn’t going to be easy, but me and Birchy (who has done well more spade work than me – thanks Scott, honorable mention to Patricks148 also, for some helpful advice) reckon with the right numbers it could be a lot of fun. We have nailed down the golf clubs and the easiest thing to do is we just sort the golf and everyone else sorts out their own accommodation and transport. However, once we have an idea of numbers and commitment, we can then look at accommodation after that, but it may still be left to do on a group by group basis.

Some people may not be able to get a 4 night away pass, so it will be built around 3 main courses, with others just being tagged on depending upon numbers and requirements.
The three it will be built around are as follows:-

Royal Dornoch , Castle Stuart, and possibly Nairn, if they come to the table price-wise.

There may also be an optional game at the boat of Garten, but that may also change to Tain, Moray firth or others. There may also be a half-way stop for the northern English raiders in mid-Scotland either on the way up or back, to break the journey up. Maybe somewhere like Lanark.

At the moment we have the following as the highest/lowest options for the courses:-

Top weekend price (2013) / Cheapest option 2013/2014

Royal Dornoch £110 / £65 Twilight in June

Castle Stuart £175 / £75 - if we get the numbers and probably midweek, yes £100 saving!

Nairn £ 110 / ** stop press ** No discount as it stands, so may go elsewhere

Boat of Garten £ 47 / £ 25.00 twilight

Top price total based on 2013 prices is £ 442. Cheapest golf only option based on 2013 is approx £ 240.00.
A potential saving of over £200, which will probably pay for your travel/accommodation.

Obviously 1-2 rounds will probably be over the weekend, so it might go up slightly, and also for 2014.

All in all, with acommodation options being anything from £80 - £200 (in total) each for varying levels of comfort and travel, it could be anything between £380 and £ 600 plus, before spends. There are cheap caravan options for £20 a night, various guest house accomodation or even cottages that can sleep 14 with a snooker table/pool table/table tennis games room option, in what looks like a baronial seat of power.

The north west flatcappers may get a mini-bus up, if enough willing, but for now let's just concentrate on the golf, the other can take care of itself.

It will either be the May/June week when the kids are off, or in June 2014, subject to interest. Overall, we may do it as Wednesday to Sunday, or Saturday till Wednesday, which for most will mean 3 days off work. Some may only do 3 nights and it will change accordingly, but the expensive ones will probably be done on the weekdays, so you miss out on one or two of them, depending on finalised plans.

If you were to do this with just a few mates it would cost you a bomb, but as part of a larger group, it should be heavily discounted. The plan would be to agree the dates (for the majority), collect a deposit for the golf only in the next month or so. Look into accommodation options in the next 2 months, put a deposit on that. That way, you can pay a third approx 10 months before, pay the rest in early 2014 and just get your spends together nearer the time we go.

So if you can get a 3 or 4 night pass from HID, you want to play some of the most scenic, out the bloody way courses in our fair isles, you can afford the moolah, get your name down here.:thup:

Also advise if June is ok, or the school holidays May/June 2014.

I don't know how you missed my email about Nairn Rate. They charge £70 Twlight which is after 1pm where as Dornoch is after 6pm. depending on nunbers i might get a discount.

Birchy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don't know how you missed my email about Nairn Rate. They charge £70 Twlight which is after 1pm where as Dornoch is after 6pm. depending on nunbers i might get a discount.

£70 twilight is decent especially with it being 1pm (most will be in bed most of morning anyway I bet :) ). That means we could get the big 3 that were looked at for £210 if we organise it right.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Pete, all being well count me in for this at this point.

Im still keen in going to NI as mentioned after this years Machrihanish weekend but this trip does float my boat.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Nairn only do a twilight rate in July and August. I asked if they could do any discount for a group or twilight in June, but they were inflexible.

Maybe if we do get good numbers we could try them again?

gjbike

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I will be going to Belek in May with the lads from the golf club so it's a none starter for me hope you all have great time

gregbwfc

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Already got my pass sorted :D
I'm in.
Thanks to both of you, spoke to Scott about this and you've both put a lot into it.
Need any help, just ask :thup:

Birchy

Money List Winner
Visit site
List of possibles up to now

Birchy
Liverbirdie
Bluewolf
StuC
Valentino
Huds1475
Qwerty
Patricks148
Gregbwfc

Five&One

Head Pro
Visit site
Fantastic trip but a bit high end for me. Will keep an eye on it but probably not for me at these prices.

Also hoping to squeeze a trip to Belek early next year so that would rule me out completely if it comes off.

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm interested in this gents but will need to bide my time before committing I'm afraid.

Cracking courses you have lined up so hopefully will work out albeit I might need to hang on for any reserve spots that come up depending on when plans are finalised.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Very much a possible until dates are confirmed, as long as HID can then get holiday at the same time I won't have to worry about Max and can come away :thup:

Scouser

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not to sure what was on offer as when I saw it was lb's post I didn't bother reading it but it must be a round of golf somewhere awful so I am a possible