£1000 to spend on clubs

TerryGolf

Visit site
Hello.

After a particularly good showing at work, my boss has offered to buy me a set of golf clubs by way of a bonus. He has told me to spend £1000 on them which is absolutely amazing.

I'm a complete beginner with previous attempts to play golf only resulting in me getting frustrated at not hitting the ball. I do intend to start with lessons and play regularly.

My question is, what should I get?

All advice leads toward not spending much and/or getting second hand but this is a unique situation whereby I've been asked to get a £1000 new set.

I'd be massively grateful for any help.

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
Hello.

After a particularly good showing at work, my boss has offered to buy me a set of golf clubs by way of a bonus. He has told me to spend £1000 on them which is absolutely amazing.

I'm a complete beginner with previous attempts to play golf only resulting in me getting frustrated at not hitting the ball. I do intend to start with lessons and play regularly.

All advice leads toward not spending much and/or getting second hand but this is a unique situation whereby I've been asked to get a £1000 new set.

See a pro and get a demo of a couple of different clubs see what suits, you should be able to easily get a good set up with 1k fitting inc

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
You lucky.... ?

I’d personally try and look at game improvement/forgiving clubs from the brands which hold their value better, such as ping, callaway, mizuno, titleist etc. That way, if you really don’t take to the game, you can sell them and he’ll never know!

To be fair, a grand sounds a lot but costs soon mount up when you include a bag as well.

Anyway, have fun!

Biggleswade Blue

Head Pro
Visit site
Hello.

Have a few lessons (a pro will lend you clubs to get started), then follow his or her advice.

Karl102

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Golf bidder is your friend.... Have a look on there, especially mizuno jpx, ping g, taylormade m irons... Ping g or G400 drivers/hybrid/fairways ... Have fun shopping!

D

Deleted member 1147

I've just had a look at American Golf, and you can get a driver, wood, set of irons, sand wedge and putter for easily under £1,000. If you choose all Benross clubs

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I've just had a look at American Golf, and you can get a driver, wood, set of irons, sand wedge and putter for easily under £1,000. If you choose all Benross clubs

That’s a good recommendation Benross clubs would be fine for the op, when you think of a price of a new driver is £300-£500 it looks even more of a great deal

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Get a game improvement set of woods/irons for half (maybe even pre-owned)... and then get an outrageous putter

(whatever you spend on other clubs they’ll doubtless get changed in your golf lifetime even if you spent all the budget on them, but you may never again drop £500 on a putter) ;)

Visit site
I would echo those that have said to go and get a couple of lessons with a pro and get them to 'measure' you up for a new set of irons. I personally would go for a really decent set of improver irons in the £600-800 range (eg Titleist T300s, which I've just bought myself) and then put the remainder towards a decent Driver and the kit - you'll need to add to the £1k if you want a really nice driver...

Or get nice new irons and then 1-3 year old driver from Golfbidder - the technology on drivers hasn't moved that much in the last couple/few years.

The Autumn Wind

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Sounds like a great boss, who appreciates you. Very nice to have.

My recommendation would be to find a good local club professional who can help you with the swing basics to start hitting the ball, and he'll also be able to advise and help you with choosing the best clubs for you. Once you start to get some consistency, you'll become addicted like the rest of us, and hopefully that professional can continue to help you along the way.

Have fun and enjoy the journey. :)

Grizzly

Visit site
How it actually went down:

Boss: "well done Terry lad, here's a £1000 bonus"

Terry: Ace, I want me some new golf clubs.

Mrs Terry: I wonder if you'll get a bonus this year? I love online shopping during lockdown.

Terry: Hey honey, the Boss told me he'd buy me a £1k set of golf clubs. Aren't you proud of me?

:)

TerryGolf

Visit site
How it actually went down:

Boss: "well done Terry lad, here's a £1000 bonus"

Terry: Ace, I want me some new golf clubs.

Mrs Terry: I wonder if you'll get a bonus this year? I love online shopping during lockdown.

Terry: Hey honey, the Boss told me he'd buy me a £1k set of golf clubs. Aren't you proud of me?

:)

Exactly this :D