£1000 to spend on clubs

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
So, I've been looking at Iron sets and they all go from 5 or 6 to PW. I've been told I should have down to 3 Iron. Which clubs should I aim to have?

Back in the 1980s or maybe as far as the 1990s a typical set would be 3 to 9 iron plus pitching wedge and sand wedge, however, over the last 20 years the lofts on irons (loft is the angle of the face, the greater the loft the steeper the ball will launch) have got much stronger.

We've now reached a point where the clubs in a modern game improvement set, for instance the Callaway Epic Forged, have lofts that are up to 3 clubs stronger than those typically found in the 1980s.
For instance a 1980 4 iron has a loft of around 26 degrees, the Callaway Epic Forged 7 iron has a loft of 27 degrees. See table below for more detail.

So the Callaway Epic Forged 6 iron loft of 24 degrees is practically the same as the typical 1980s 3 iron loft of 23 degrees and hence your longest iron need only be a 6 iron. You will need to buy two additional wedges though as well as your pitching wedge and sand wedge in order to fill the gaps!

(You'll only want to go to a 3 iron if you decide to buy vintage clubs with your £1000, and you could buy a quality vintage set for under £100.)

1590272767158.png

Diamond

Visit site
Back in the 1980s or maybe as far as the 1990s a typical set would be 3 to 9 iron plus pitching wedge and sand wedge, however, over the last 20 years the lofts on irons (loft is the angle of the face, the greater the loft the steeper the ball will launch) have got much stronger.

We've now reached a point where the clubs in a modern game improvement set, for instance the Callaway Epic Forged, have lofts that are up to 3 clubs stronger than those typically found in the 1980s.
For instance a 1980 4 iron has a loft of around 26 degrees, the Callaway Epic Forged 7 iron has a loft of 27 degrees. See table below for more detail.

So the Callaway Epic Forged 6 iron loft of 24 degrees is practically the same as the typical 1980s 3 iron loft of 23 degrees and hence your longest iron need only be a 6 iron. You will need to buy two additional wedges though as well as your pitching wedge and sand wedge in order to fill the gaps!

(You'll only want to go to a 3 iron if you decide to buy vintage clubs with your £1000, and you could buy a quality vintage set for under £100.)

View attachment 30820

That is really interesting thanks for sharing. Just on your point about additional wedges, as I am new to the game, I have been advised to wait another 6 months of my development before I get a Lob Wedge. My sand wedge is 54 degree and pitching wedge is 44 degree so as you say eventually I will need a gap or approach wedge as well.

Apologies to the OP for hijacking thread with this comment.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
That is really interesting thanks for sharing. Just on your point about additional wedges, as I am new to the game, I have been advised to wait another 6 months of my development before I get a Lob Wedge. My sand wedge is 54 degree and pitching wedge is 44 degree so as you say eventually I will need a gap or approach wedge as well.

Apologies to the OP for hijacking thread with this comment.

A lob wedge can be difficult to use and there aren't many occasions where it's an absolute necessity, and even then you can open up the face of your sand wedge (opening the face just means turning it to point right of target which effectively increases the loft).
At least one gap wedge will be useful though, 10 degrees is a big step between two clubs.

Diamond

Visit site
A lob wedge can be difficult to use and there aren't many occasions where it's an absolute necessity, and even then you can open up the face of your sand wedge (opening the face just means turning it to point right of target which effectively increases the loft).
At least one gap wedge will be useful though, 10 degrees is a big step between two clubs.

Another problem I am currently having is that the 130 yard par 3 was an 8 iron in the winter and on Tuesday I hit a pitching wedge to the centre of the green for a birdie. Basically everything is going further But like you said I am opening sand wedge on half swings to hit wedges <90 yards.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Another problem I am currently having is that the 130 yard par 3 was an 8 iron in the winter and on Tuesday I hit a pitching wedge to the centre of the green for a birdie. Basically everything is going further But like you said I am opening sand wedge on half swings to hit wedges <90 yards.

That's probably down to two things;
1. the ball doesn't go as far in the winter in colder weather,
2. You're new to the game and so your swing is likely improving and your distances are getting longer. Keep at it and nice birdie!

Diamond

Visit site
That's probably down to two things;
1. the ball doesn't go as far in the winter in colder weather,
2. You're new to the game and so your swing is likely improving and your distances are getting longer. Keep at it and nice birdie!

That doesn't happen often!!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
For a start I wouldn‘t waste a load of money on a new driver and new say four wood. I’m thinking there are always many almost new drivers out there going for a song as they ’just didn‘t work’ for the owner.

That and I’m thinking there could be quite a few used sets being sold in the coming month or two as the owners have decided they haven’t missed the game these last two months and could do with a few hundred pounds.

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
So, I've been looking at Iron sets and they all go from 5 or 6 to PW. I've been told I should have down to 3 Iron. Which clubs should I aim to have?
I started with 3-pw, I soon dropped the 3i for a hybrid, the year later the 4i was dropped for another hybrid, 4-pw is a good start imo for a beginner, my set up is
Driver
3 wood
19° hybrid
22° hybrid
Irons 5-pw
50/54/58 wedges
Putter
Iv been playing for just over 3 years, still a beginner really,

Diamond

Visit site
I have the x hot 2 5 hybrid and bought the rogue 4 hybrid which is a belting club. My SW is 54 degree so like you I may purchase a 58 degree LW. The 2 clubs I use the least are the 3W and 6 iron.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have the x hot 2 5 hybrid and bought the rogue 4 hybrid which is a belting club. My SW is 54 degree so like you I may purchase a 58 degree LW. The 2 clubs I use the least are the 3W and 6 iron.
58* lob wedge is a great club .
You need to commit to the shot though ,as you need to hit it harder than most clubs to get the flight .
It needs quite a lot of practice but once you get it ,can be a shot saver.

Diamond

Visit site
58* lob wedge is a great club .
You need to commit to the shot though ,as you need to hit it harder than most clubs to get the flight .
It needs quite a lot of practice but once you get it ,can be a shot saver.

Had a bunker lesson on Friday and the advice was to wait 6 months get good with PW and SW then get the 58 degree.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Had a bunker lesson on Friday and the advice was to wait 6 months get good with PW and SW then get the 58 degree.
Yes that’s one view.
But I think sometimes if you are going to practise a lot then why not have all your weapons .Just my opinion.
But if you pay for advice then they are in a better position to see what you need.

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
I started with 3-pw, I /QUOTE]
I watched a thing on you tube with Bob vokey and he was saying stick with a 54-56 around the greens and learn how to manipulate different shots from bunker, rough ect when you get comfortable with that you will hit your higher loft wedges no problem, might be something in what your pros saying

Diamond

Visit site
Thanks for all the input guys, it's been amazing.

This is what I have so far.

Putter £129.00 https://www.onlinegolf.co.uk/clubs/...VctQTtHJl1AanHIxEbFbwwrlqmn8pRyBoCARcQAvD_BwE
Irons £529.00 https://www.clubhousegolf.co.uk/aca...d0gLgzATppS5LP9c8eQn5nInx4E9ULmxoCCqwQAvD_BwE

Which other clubs would I need?

Also, I'm not fussed about going a little over budget as I can top it up myself.

I am also new to the sport but I bought a Rogue 4 Hybrid and it is a great club to have. Maybe get the Ping equivalent so you keep the equilibrium of your golf bag. :):):)