Been watching golf on TV for many years but never played it. What clubs should I buy as a beginner?

SarenArterius

Visit site
Hi. I'm a beginner and I've never swung a club before. As you can probably understand, I currently own no clubs. I've seen quite a lot of conflicting advice about what clubs you need when you start playing. I've seen suggestions ranging from getting a full set of 14 clubs, to just getting a driver and a putter. I've had a look at the sets in Sports Direct and their cheapest set of clubs is a Slazenger set for £200. I've no idea if they are a respected brand or not. I've only really heard of Titleist, Callaway and TaylorMade clubs, but individual clubs from them can cost around £1000. I was hoping not to spend that much when I'm starting out. Also, does anyone have advice about beginner-friendly courses and ranges? I've found a driving range near me that offers lessons, but their website says you have to bring your own clubs. You can hire balls there but not clubs. I'm not sure why you can't hire clubs as well, but that seems to be the norm across local courses which I've researched.

Doh

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would go second hand have a look on Golfbidder they sell second hand and you are able to return them without penalty. Ping G range would suit or Callaway X series.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Go to a golf range or pro shops that sells clubs. Ask if they have some second hand sets you can try, with one of the pros casting an eye over. Try some, find something you like the look off and you seem to be able to hit. Don't spend a lot of money.

Definitely don't buy something at Sports Direct.

Tell us where you are and you will get some specific suggestions.

Crumplezone

Visit site
You should be able to get a decent second hand set for £300-£400. A set of irons, putter, driver and a hybrid is probably all you need. Most driving ranges do lend clubs, but they tend to be old and pretty poor quality. Worse that the set you'd buy at Sports Direct! Which probably aren't absolutely terrible.

See if anywhere does drop in or group lessons, they can be a cheap way to get started and have a few individual lessons if you take to it. Then take it to a 9 hole course as soon as you feel you can hit the ball reasonably. They tend to be more casual with shorter holes.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Hi and welcome to the forum. I would go out and get a set that matches your budget be it a £50 set of ebay, a £300 beginner wilson set or a £2000 fitted set (unless money is no object I wouldn't recommend) - get out there that's the main thing enjoy it, and once you've caught the bug then go and invest in some very new shiny clubs!