£1000 to spend on clubs

TerryGolf

Visit site
Also worth sharing what clubs you have at present e.g. any your happy with like putter, driver etc

£1k on irons is very different discussion to £1k on everything including woods and putter.

I have no clubs currently. I did have a used set a few years back. Can't really comment on how good they were as I couldn't hit the ball.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I've had a Benross driver in the past they are very good clubs, they don't sponsor the pros so can keep their cost at a reasonable level, good luck with whatever you choose but it would be worth going along and seeing what you think of Benross clubs.

To get a new set that includes driver and wood the Benross deal is very good.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Where abouts are you based? I would echo the posts about getting lessons. I know of a a few pros locally that are starting to give lessons again (socially distancing) so get some technique sorted and go from there. He'll advise. I'd go down the second hand routes (golfibbider, golfclubs4cash etc) after that. My preference would be Ping woods and I'd go irons too but Callaway are also forgiving and good bet

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
Cleveland launcher irons are £329 in clubhouse golf, great beginners irons a bit unusual looking but I dont think there is a set more forgiving

I was going to recommend the exact same clubs but waiting on finding out his level.

Add in a Ping G SF-tec driver, a Ping G hybrid and any putter that looks good to the eye and you’ll be off.

You mention new, but if there was scope to buy secondhand and keep the change for balls (with respect you’ll need loads- try buying Pearl grade second hand) and lessons you’ll be getting better bang for your buck.

Either way, enjoy.

big_matt

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Wish i had a boss like you OP!

£1000 should get you a really good set, especially if you use some sales.

Try out some clubs if uou can to see what you like rather than ordering some random ones.

Enjoy!

TerryGolf

Visit site
Where abouts are you based? I would echo the posts about getting lessons. I know of a a few pros locally that are starting to give lessons again (socially distancing) so get some technique sorted and go from there. He'll advise. I'd go down the second hand routes (golfibbider, golfclubs4cash etc) after that. My preference would be Ping woods and I'd go irons too but Callaway are also forgiving and good bet

I'm in North Wales. I have a few golf clubs around me and there is a Pro I'm aware of giving lessons. I'll keep an eye out for it being clear to be able to do it. I think I'm set on waiting until certainly after the first lesson to pull the trigger on clubs.

sunshine

Visit site
I would love to go shopping for someone with £1000. I'd get a new bag but everything else used/ex demo, some brilliant deals out there and some cracking stuff for sale:

Bag £80
Shoes 60
Driver 130
Fairway 110
Hybrid 90
Irons 300
Putter 80.
Extras eg grips 60
Balls,tees, etc 40
2 gloves 20
30 quid for a game and a couple of beers.

Hopefully adds up... ?

Good post.

Normally I see something different. Typical beginners/ high handicap equipment:
Tour bag 300
Electric trolley 500
Ecco shoes 200
Latest TM Driver 500
TM Fairway 300
TM Hybrid 200
Super game improvement Irons 1000
Scotty Putter300
Extras eg bushnell laser 300, GPS watch 200
Pro V1 Balls 50 monthly
2 gloves 20

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm in North Wales. I have a few golf clubs around me and there is a Pro I'm aware of giving lessons. I'll keep an eye out for it being clear to be able to do it. I think I'm set on waiting until certainly after the first lesson to pull the trigger on clubs.
There is a fitting studio In Llangollen golf club.
The pro is great and very friendly he will advise you.

TerryGolf

Visit site
So, I've been looking at Iron sets and they all go from 5 or 6 to PW. I've been told I should have down to 3 Iron. Which clubs should I aim to have?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So, I've been looking at Iron sets and they all go from 5 or 6 to PW. I've been told I should have down to 3 Iron. Which clubs should I aim to have?
5/pw is good to start.
Most long irons are replaced now with hybrids to replace the 4/3 iron.
Driver is a very difficult club to hit and I always think new golfers should start with a 3 and 5 wood.

Diamond

Visit site
Last year I was advised to get Callaway X Hot 2 for £550 (Driver, 3W, 5Hybrid, 6 to SW, odyssey putter). Picked up a Callaway carry bag for £50 and a trolley for about the same. 2nd hand balls off eBay, tees, shoes for £60, 2 x golf caps, several polos, several troosets, golf shorts, about £60 on puma body warmer, £100 on adidas waterproofs, el bandito score card holder, golf glove, life time county membership, 3 golf towels, 6 golf lessons and £650 golf club membership for 6 months.

You can look like a million dollars for £1000 for a handful of rounds as a guest but I suggest lessons with a pro.
Your boss may be giving you £1000 but if you take to golf it will cost a lot more, but worth every penny.