You've got to laugh...

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Played with a new member this morning. Nice guy, not sure of his age probably mid 50s early 60s, clearly enjoys his golf and is enthusiastic about his new club and getting involved with the other members and the seniors section. Plays off 25. However, he had a longer pre shot routine than Keegan Bradley, would wait for a green to clear 200 yards away when he can only hit his driver 150 with a tailwind, and would line up every putt from 3 different angles, before taking 3 putts minimum on every green, quite often knocking it further past the hole than from where he started!
Luckily it was a very slow morning so we weren't losing holes in front but even so, WHY????:D

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Played with a new member this morning. Nice guy, not sure of his age probably mid 50s early 60s, clearly enjoys his golf and is enthusiastic about his new club and getting involved with the other members and the seniors section. Plays off 25. However, he had a longer pre shot routine than Keegan Bradley, would wait for a green to clear 200 yards away when he can only hit his driver 150 with a tailwind, and would line up every putt from 3 different angles, before taking 3 putts minimum on every green, quite often knocking it further past the hole than from where he started!
Luckily it was a very slow morning so we weren't losing holes in front but even so, WHY????:D

Why not.... sounds like you had nowhere to go anyway :D

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Today at the par 3 every group let me through, which was brilliant. They all realised I was quicker and let me crack on.

Sad day when the casual golfing public puts a club member to shame. Hopefully he realises the error of his ways and speeds his game up.

MartynB

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I think people watch golf on TV and think that's what I need to be doing. It drives me crackers, people spending so much time lining putts up on crappy punched spring greens at the moment!

Dont get me started on the old boys playing from the whites when not in a comp and not having a hope in hell of achieving GIR...why indeed!

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

If it was not for the age you specified you could be exactly describing a playing partner of mine (had to read it twice to ensure it wasn't the same person). Have played with him once a week for a few years now (not on a Saturday as he has moved on) He is still slow but no where near what he was as I had to have 'several awkward' conversations with him. Initially he took zero responsibility for holding up play and believed he could play as he pleased and others could like it or lump it. Over time and with these 'chats' he came to realise that he couldn't adopt this approach without seriously pissing of just about everyone and did adjust his routine and pace. Now he is just slow and not silly slow. More through stubbornness than anything else I did not give up on addressing this. My life would have been easier to just stop playing with him, but that would have been ignoring the problem. I was determined to play and address until it moved to an acceptable position which it now has.

Put it simply he needs to be told. Someone has to do it

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
My uncle once had a notoriously slow playerr with him one morning, (he, my uncle, always played early morning to whizz round) I laughed that this fella would slow him down (he had a very long pre shot routine) My Uncle said "We'll have him round in three hours AND DID! How? He had a little chat and told him that his four pre shot swishes did not help him and he only bumped it 120 yards anyway.

These people have to be told.

On a lighter note we got through a slow group at our fourth hole in Sunday and so got round in 3 1/2 hours. Cracking morning. Nice beer afterwards too.

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site

If someone is slow due to infirmity/age I have no problem and play at their pace, however if someone is just slow I speed up and try to get them moving without saying anything, but if needs be I will suggest that they get a move on !!

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
He needs to be educated
easy way have a word and hope he learns.
hard way people will get on his back, arguments on the course with other groups.
If he is one of those who doesn't care about anyone else it will be the hard way.

D

Deleted member 17920

If he is new to the club he might not have any idea on how far away the group in front are, we took a new member round with us and a couple of times he went 1st and he was waiting so I said just told him that he was clear to go as the group in front are over 300 yards away and he thought it only looked about 200 yards away.

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If someone is slow due to infirmity/age I have no problem and play at their pace, however if someone is just slow I speed up and try to get them moving without saying anything, but if needs be I will suggest that they get a move on !!

We weren't too worried as I said, it was a lovely morning and didn't want to spoil it with an arguement, and the course was busy so we weren't really going anywhere. We tried dropping a couple of subtle hints that we might fall behind etc but they weren't taken. Sooner or later he will play with someone a bit less patient than us!:eek:

Norrin Radd

Tour Winner
Visit site
play another round with him ,time the round but dont tell him you are,on the way round spark up a conversation about how long a two ball normally takes to go round the course. dont pick him up at all on his pace but when the round is over and you are in the 19th ,tell him how long your round took and that it really isnt acceptable to take so long playing a two ball, and that the reason it was so slow was his psr on every shot .add in the fact that if he gets known as a really slow player he will find it hard to get partners to play with as most of the membership keep up a decent pace of play .
if that dosent work then just stop playing with him .he will get the message.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
To me, the age is irrelevant but he needs to be told as it won't always be so busy on the course and he will end up holding others up, and could get a reputation as a slow player. Some may even avoid playing with him as a result and that would be a shame

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Played with a couple of guys recently where I couldn't watch their PSR's. One of them would take the club fully back and then stop. He would then return the club to the floor before starting his back swing again but this time not so far back. This would be repeated about six times until the back swing was quite short and then he would complete the shot. The additional time his PRS took was about 30 seconds so excluding putts he probably does this about fifty times a round which equates to an additional 25 minutes a round.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Played with a couple of guys recently where I couldn't watch their PSR's. One of them would take the club fully back and then stop. He would then return the club to the floor before starting his back swing again but this time not so far back. This would be repeated about six times until the back swing was quite short and then he would complete the shot. The additional time his PRS took was about 30 seconds so excluding putts he probably does this about fifty times a round which equates to an additional 25 minutes a round.
When people do bonkers stuff like that it can only be down to superstition. I never know how people arrive at such daft long-winded routines in the first place though. Like, something made him try all that nonsense one time, and then he hit a decent shot so he decided (out of superstition) that he has to do all that every time! It looks mad to me. Then again I don't really have a specific PSR myself, I pretty much just take on practise swing, or two practise swings if I didn't like the first one, then hit the ball. I suppose a short PSR is just to help focus you, but when it's taking 30 seconds that's when it just becomes superstition in my view.