Your H/Index and competition / open record…

Which would your prefer?

• Scratch and never win any open, comp, roll-up/swindle or Net game

Votes: 19 70.4%
  • High/Mid handicapper and pretty often wins and challenge for opens, board-comps, roll-ups/swindles

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • Low single-figure/Cat 1 golfer who very occasionally wins a roll-up but never an open or board comp

Votes: 6 22.2%

• Total voters

4LEX

Visit site
I'm off +1 but don't bother much with club medals or other comps unless pairs/team events. I enter the scratch knock outs and the Club Championship. I then play in scratch opens where you've got a much better chance of doing well. Bonus is you get to play 36 holes at some of the best courses for next to nothing whilst also meeting some great people/players.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
I voted scratch simply because its surely the aim of every golfer to be the best that they possibly can?

Or have I missed something fundamental about the motivations of golfers when they see shiny prizes up for grabs?

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
I choose "none of the above".
I prefer to accept the reality of what I am and get on with it rather than muse about being something else.

One of the things I like about golf is the fact that we are all different, have different approaches and desires regarding the game, but can have a shared enjoyment.

Ross61

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
not voted as options are loaded. You assume that scratch/ low handicappers never win comps except some roll ups, and high/mid handicappers do All the winning.
what a load of rubbish!
no evidence to back this up

evemccc

Visit site
not voted as options are loaded. You assume that scratch/ low handicappers never win comps except some roll ups, and high/mid handicappers do All the winning.
what a load of rubbish!

Touché. What a load of rubbish!

The thread is HYPOTHETICAL. Playing on a ‘Winning vs Being Good’ - what is MORE important to you, binary

Created because numerous posts and threads on here have assumed / complained at ‘banditry’, high h/cappers winning opens, no point in low h/cappers entering events as WHS has enabled cheating etc…I’ve seen things myself at my own club

But the people I play most often with want to get as low as possible ie. as good at their hobby as their talent and time to practice allows..

The only assumptions i have made in the poll question are that people want to win and people want to be good….clearly in reality it’s not mutually exclusive, and obviously 28 h/cappers don’t win everything and no cat 1 golfer never wins a roll-up..?

It’s. A. Hypothetical.

Last edited:

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
what a load of rubbish!
Did you read the question properly?