Your H/Index and competition / open record…

Which would your prefer?

• Scratch and never win any open, comp, roll-up/swindle or Net game

Votes: 19 70.4%
  • High/Mid handicapper and pretty often wins and challenge for opens, board-comps, roll-ups/swindles

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • Low single-figure/Cat 1 golfer who very occasionally wins a roll-up but never an open or board comp

Votes: 6 22.2%

• Total voters

evemccc

Visit site
Based on other recent threads about General Play, putting cards in, bandits and giving / getting shots and ‘winning’ comps and being competitive with our hobby of golf I was thinking..

Visit site
I’ve won 5 events/trophies in 5 years at my club.

Joined playing off 6. Went up to 9 and after 2 years I hadn’t even hit buffer, let alone won anything.

Since 2019, I’ve won:
- open play medal, with +1 nett off 8 (17 players, 15 single figure handicappers)
- Board comp medal with nett -2 off 5 (field size 116, 70 in div 1).
- stableford with 39 pts off 4, field size 110, 63 of which are div 1 (<=11 handicap)

And a couple of member+guest invitational comps but not relevant here I guess.

I do not feel that being a single figure handicapper puts you at a disadvantage in our comps at all, in fact, because of the way the course is setup for the board comps, it favours the better golfers.
My winning scores are hardly obscene but pretty big fields in a couple of them, yet 1-2 players under their handicap at most

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
You should win approximately 1/AverageNumberOfEntrants.

We have about 100 in a weekend comp. So I should win about once every 3 or 4 years. Which I do.
Hc 13.0 at the moment.
39-42 stbl or 66-68 net if strokeplay normally wins.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yeah. I'd prefer to play off scratch and win everything, but it's not an option in the poll.
To tell the truth, I completely missed the 'what would you prefer' text in the black box and thought he was asking us what actually applies to us, haha. I've now voted for that middle option as I can't see myself getting to single figures anyway so I'm not bothered about it. Happy enough as I am.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
I’m currently single figures, but don’t play in many comps. I won a weekend stableford with 40 points earlier this year.

I used to want to win everything. Now I don’t care. I just want to shoot the lowest score I can. So I suppose I’d be option 1. Although I don’t really care what my handicap is other than it’s a general reflection of my ability.

When I started playing I had a spell over 2 seasons where I won a lot. Both at my club as an individual and 4BBB opens.

I played in every comp, every weekend but my HC simply couldn’t keep up with my improvement.

Me and the FiL won a lot of prizes at the time as he was a steady player with a mid teens HC and I was an improving player that played very aggressively. I could churn out a load of pars the a couple of 9s and 10s. We were the ideal BB stableford pair.

I think we got a bit of a reputation at the time, but both our HCs were legitimate.

I won a few things as a single figure player at my old club.

As I said. I don’t play in many comps these days, they just don’t interest me. Especially know not how many players haven’t got a clue about the rules, so it’s not really a fair fight.

Last edited:

evemccc

Visit site
I don't understand the options. I'm mid-handicap but rarely win any competitions. There's no option for that.

The options are obviously hypothetical / a choice of possible hypotheticals - none are ideal and not meant to be a description of what we are..

After reading several posts and threads and my own experience of my club where people complain about bandits, and people not putting cards in, and others desperate to get as low a Handicap as possible, I’m interested in what matters when people talk of ‘competitive golf’ - with the assumption being that most people ‘should’ want to win things and also ‘should’ want to get as good at their hobby as possible - reflected by their handicap

Edit: obviously there are people who just play for the fresh air / social side of things and don’t care about their score

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I too missed the "What would you prefer" bit.

I play most of the competitions at my club and while I may win one now and again, it's the competition itself I enjoy, the course normally being set up pretty long and difficult and its about me vs the course and my handicap.

We only have a few low guys and I would say their consistency sees them win quite regularly.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Love to be scratch.. so I'd go with that.

But in real life Havnt won any strokeplay comp in 5 years, had a couple of wins in MP comps. Tbh I don't really stand a chance with our new course layout that favours longer hitters, where as the old course benefited straight hitting, prob costing me 3 shots off the tee where I'm having to lay up on the par 5s. Shot a few low scores last year but they were in seniors open comps that had no gross prize. All our club comps have a gross prize, which are dominated my young guys of plus figures and all the handicap by mid handicappers. Tbh at nairn it's the course layout that's made more difference to me, but whs has seen dominance in handicap comps.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I just can't relate to the three options
I want to be as low a handicap as I've earned, the comp thing will be what it will be. If that's a win once a month or one every couple of years then c'est la vie

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
I’m off 13.9 currently and have won one comp this year, but been top 5 in about another 8.

I’m 4th in our OOM, but haven’t played anywhere near as much as I would have liked.

Springveldt

Visit site
I’ve voted for scratch as I’m currently a lowish single figure and I’d take being scratch over winning the odd comp any day of the week.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Realistically at our club it would be impossible to be a scratch golfer and not win some roll ups if you entered them even semi regularly. Numbers can be low I think everyone wno plays even semiregularly wins fairly often.
I'd love to have the ability to be a cat 1 or scratch golfer.and would take either over winning things.

D

Deleted member 18121

I don't play any competitive golf, so for me the game is all about being as good as I can be. I don't care about winning anything.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I voted for scratch and never win anything. However if I was scratch, which will never happen, I would be able to enter Elite Competitions, possibly Open Qualifying. Also I should occasionally win the best Gross in Club Competitions and the same in Open Competitions.

The most important however would being a scratch golfer and winning would be irrelevant.