Your biggest blow-up on course

Allanxyz

Head Pro
Visit site
Firstly, I should introduce myself as a new member... my name is Allan, I've been playing golf pretty regularly for 10 years or so and am pretty obsessed with the game. I live in Germany (moved here about 5 years ago from sunny Bristol). I look forward to getting more involved in the forum after being an innocent bystander for a couple of months.

After a decent start to my round this morning, which went downhill pretty sharpish, I got thinking about my biggest blow-up on the golf course (apologies if this was already done after Adam Scott in the open, Westwood at Wentworth).

Mine was last year in a club tournament... was 19 handicap at the time (was a bit high but just hadn't played in many tornaments at the time).
Standing on the 16th tee, 6 over par...never got under 80 before so was sweating a bit. Par 5 island green metre high rough right and left (no real expectation of finding your ball if you go in) but lots of fairway. The driver was on fire so didn't hesitate to pull it out... pulled one left in the thick stuff, sliced my 1st provision right into the thicker stuff, 2nd provisional left, and so on...finally dolly one down the middle for 11 (my playing partners not doing very well at trying to hide there pleasure). Could this be why rounds are taking too long?! I think it was just stubbornness that kept me using the driver... it just had to work eventually!

Well, as luck would have it I did manage to find the first ball but none of the rest...it was a miracle and I was saved... until it took me a couple to get out of the rough, dumped a couple in the water and ended up with 11, could have been worse I know...

So now I'm 11 over... still not too bad.. lucky escape to be honest...however the 17th was to follow...
Par 4, water all down the left. twice in the water rubbish around the green and another 11... a forced smile to my German playing companions and my nerve in tatters...

So from 6 over after 15 to 17 over 17... think I bogied the last but it was all a bit of a haze to be honest..

Anybody else with a tale of woe to make me feel better??

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Mine was a mini Tin-Cup effort on 18 at The Shire London a while ago.

Needing a Par for to break 80 even with a couple of disasters, I laid up short of the water 80 yards from the pin - a distance I'm really comfortable with! For some reason, my perfect 80yd shots (4 of them!) all ended up in the water! Eventually walked with a 12!

Also had a 9, 10 and an 11 on an inocuous Par 4 at an old club - that was often a '3 for 4'! Various methods of getting those numbers, mainly involving trees!

A

Alex1975

Welcome to the forum. I bow up in every comp so no story stands out more than any other but I was playing with my bro on Wednesday night and he hit it in the bunker then out, over the green and into another one, then out and back into the first one. I remember on my first medal crossing the green 4 times on that hole from bunker to bunker and it crushing me....

Deke

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You should have seen my performance at the Pitlochry meet, played the worst golf of my life! Never again will I play with 4 hours sleep and a hangover, it was the most brutal round ever! :(

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Had plenty of blow ups in comps, too many to mention. I'm trying to learn from them and use the experience in a positive manner and then not dwell on them any longer. Trying to feel good about myself and feel confident about my game every time I tee it up now and not dwell on past mistakes

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It happened 45 years ago and it is still nearly too painful to talk about.

It involved a 7-5 finish at an Open venue course when a 5-4 finish would have been level par and a winning score.
I did not hit a bad shot in the 7 and I played 3 off the tee for the 5.

It was also on my birthday. [and I'm leap year]

Got pretty well pissed that night.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Last Saturday at Millport. Managed to put two balls OOB right on a ridiculous 214 yard uphill dogleg par 3. Then found my ball resting at the base of the upslope of a tee box, make an arse of the chip, make an arse of the second chip and walk off with a 9. Yep that's t right, a NINE on a par 3. That hurt.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Mine was a mini Tin-Cup effort on 18 at The Shire London a while ago.

I played that the other day. Awesome hole.

Smack bang in the middle, 160 to the centre. Peached it....

and three putted. :(

Oh, back on topic.

I finished 9/5/7 once. (4/3/4) - not bad.....threw away a 4 over gross stood on the 16th tee.

Cityfanbrian

Club Champion
Www.fairfieldgolfclub.co.uk
In the club over 50's major 3 or 4 years ago I was steadily plotting my way round in the wind and duly arrived on the par 5 17th. Nothing silly I thought to myself, I came off with an 11, then a 5 on the par 3 18th to finish net level par. Later that day my mate rang to tell me I finished second one shot adrift. 8 shots dropped on the last 2 holes cost me a place in gold letters on the board...I never slept for a week!

Last edited:

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
In the club over 50's major 3 or 4 years ago I was steadily plotting my way round in the wind and duly arrived on the par 5 17th. Nothing silly I thought to myself, I came off with an 11, then a 5 on the par 3 18th to finish net level par. Later that day my mate rang to tell me I finished second one shot adrift. 8 shots dropped on the last 2 holes cost me a place in gold letters on the board...I never slept for a week!

:mad: wow !! hard to take pal !

Fader

Tour Winner
Visit site
I seem to save my blowouts for the biggest comp of the year the Club Championship.

Last year at my old club had a relatively average Rd1 got in round in 10 over par which was +1 on handicap at the time well out of the running for scratch champion but only a couple off lead for net champ. Went out in the afternoon and couldn't put a foot wrong was well on course for a PB and first round under par was -1 gross on the 16th and holed a birdie putt to get to -2, then come the last 2 holes a Par 3 & 4 respectively then proceeded to finish 7-8! Went from -2 to +6 in 2 holes! If i'd finished 6-6 I'd still have won the handicap part of the CC!

Then this year I shot my worst ever round in the CC and for the first time ever failed to break 90! I still can't work out where I hit a bad shot as I played quite nicely

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
not the biggest, but i took 4 to get out of a bunker yesterday! (that will teach me to reply to the who has had a bunker lesson thread, stating i am happy with my bunker play!) Also put 2 OOB on a par 3 last night long. I still made buffer though!

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think it was one of my first competitions after my initial cuts down from 17. I was standing on the 16th tee with 36 points.

I had been under handicap before but that was easy, I had two shots less per round now. So looking to drop even further under 17 in my first summer of golf I blew up and blobbed the last 3, all I needed was a couple of points for a cut!

That hurt and it took a while for me to get my head back.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Hi, welcome to the forum

Last year in our 36 hole open, in the morning round and playing off 12, I got to the 12th tee in 2 under par gross and played a wrong ball off the drive and finished the round 11 over!

Twin Lakes

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I've had many blow outs in comps. My last medal I was 3 over gross at the turn going great. Wait for it...
an 8 on the par 5 10th, then bogey, double, bogey, birdie, par, quadruple, triple, par.
Made the buffer. What might have been.

I just accept that golf is tough and i'm pretty useless. Simple. :rofl: