Stroke Index 18

D

Deleted member 25575

Two players, say a 5 h/C v a 10 h/C get to the second extra hole and the 5 h/C gets a shot. Surely a low handicapper would like our current situation where he'd not need to give the first shot until the 3rd
The only person not getting a shot on the 2nd is scratch or better so very few really impacted

NearHull

Visit site
Our SI 18 is our shortest of the four par 5s at 477yds. The others par 5s are over 500yds and are SI 13, 15 & 16.

Hacked

Visit site
All of my birdiesā€¦ever, have been on par 3ā€™s and 4ā€™s. Iā€™ve only ever managed, at best, a par on a par 5. I know where Iā€™d prefer the SI to give me a ā€œtheoreticalā€ shot.

PaulMdj

Visit site
At the opposite end of the scale Bamburgh Castle Par 3 6th hole is Stroke Index 1. 208yds off the Whites, 202 off the Yellows.

Not sure Iā€™ve seen a Par 3 as SI 1 before.

Hacked

Visit site
I find par 3s around 200 yds very difficult. Would probably be one of the hardest holes on a course for me.
Yep. Iā€™ve played a couple of places where the SI 1 has been a par 3 of over 200yds. At one course Iā€™ve played a number of times Iā€™ve never hit the green off the tee.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I find par 3s around 200 yds very difficult. Would probably be one of the hardest holes on a course for me.
One of our par 3s is 212 off the whites, 200 off the yellows. Another is 197/185.

Most of the seniors I play with take driver on both.

To me, par 3s should be about accuracy, not how far you can hit it. If it was my course, Iā€™d take 50 yards off all of our par 3s, that would make them a lot more enjoyable.

D

Deleted member 25575

Not in a match which is the scenario posed. The higher handicap in every match will get a shot
Surely the high handicap only gets a shot on SI holes 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10? Both would get a shot on SI 1

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Surely the high handicap only gets a shot on SI holes 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10? Both would get a shot on SI 1
No!!!! In a match the lower handicap plays off scratch and the higher handicap would get 5 shots - in the 5 v 10 match. These shots would be taken on SI 1 to 5

tobybarker

Visit site
Two players, say a 5 h/C v a 10 h/C get to the second extra hole and the 5 h/C gets a shot. Surely a low handicapper would like our current situation where he'd not need to give the first shot until the 3rd
Matchplay so 5hcp doesnt get any shots at all in this scenario

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Matchplay so 5hcp doesnt get any shots at all in this scenario

I'm sure chris knows this & its just the way he's written it

The 5 h/capper player he's referring to, is in the context of the match handicaps and is actually the 10 handicap player

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
One of our par 3s is 212 off the whites, 200 off the yellows. Another is 197/185.

Most of the seniors I play with take driver on both.

To me, par 3s should be about accuracy, not how far you can hit it. If it was my course, Iā€™d take 50 yards off all of our par 3s, that would make them a lot more enjoyable.
Not just the seniors šŸ˜‰. Those that don't most likely should but ego gets in the way.

Totally agree with your last paragraph. In a wonderfully well designed course, they are the clear weakness.

D

Deleted member 25575

No!!!! In a match the lower handicap plays off scratch and the higher handicap would get 5 shots - in the 5 v 10 match. These shots would be taken on SI 1 to 5
Oh ok didnā€™t know that

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
Not just the seniors šŸ˜‰. Those that don't most likely should but ego gets in the way.

Totally agree with your last paragraph. In a wonderfully well designed course, they are the clear weakness.

There are many 200 yard par 3ā€™s that are far from a weakness and imo each course should have one par 3 that is over 180 yards

A par 3 is about getting the ball in the hole in 3 shots , itā€™s no different to a long par 4 and people having 180-200 yards left for their second shot

People want short par 3ā€™s because they expect to be able to hit the green in one and believe it should be a good chance at par - and most will have shots on these

Most of the long par 3ā€™s will have a lower SI so people will get a shot and are not expected to par it

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

I hit driver to our 229 yard par 2 first and our 217 yard seventeenth. Had no issue doing so and was pin high just off the green with both. Use the right club or don't moan when you are short or way offline because you swung too hard and made a bad swing at it

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
SIs only really bother me in match play, 3 of our 6 lowest are in the first 5 holes which makes or a tough start when giving shots, but in stroke play it evens itself out.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
In a matchplay situation par is utterly irrelevant.
In medal play the hole you get a stroke is utterly irrelevant. In Stableford it affects where you score not usually your total score.

Why should two holes one yard difference one a par 3 and one a par 4 be more or less easy for a particular handicap?