You have to pick now...

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Surprised Knox is not picked but pleased for Pieters. Maybe one for US based players to ponder for future. If you really want to play Ryder Cup then you need to be part of the European tour as well. If that is the message then it is a strong one.

D

Deleted member 15344

I think that's the best three he could have picked

Expect Knox was in until this week

Good team IMO - some great partnerships could be formed

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
I'd personally have gone Knox over Pieters, but only just about so more than happy with the picks. Westwood was a shoe-in and Kaymer rightly picked IMO. Glad Donald and Gmac didnt get a look in.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I wonder if Westwood would have been picked by any other RC Captain under the same circumstances??

Hard on Knoxx, I think his exp on the PGA tour and being a winner on it was good enough to get him in, but Pieters is fair enough after the last few weeks.

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I wonder if Westwood would have been picked by any other RC Captain under the same circumstances??

Hard on Knoxx, I think his exp on the PGA tour and being a winner on it was good enough to get him in, but Pieters is fair enough after the last few weeks.

Each to their own but I'd expect the majority of previous Ryder Cup captains would have picked Westwood. His case is clear on Ryder Cup experience, strengthened by the number of rookies. Shown he can still play during recent majors and in my opinion will improve as Ryder Cup player as some of his weaknesses are smoothed by matchplay format (e.g. bad holes, and putting where he'll normally know it's hole it or miss out so can be bold).

No point having Captains Picks if everybody just says those highest ranked should get it automatically. They are there to bring balance in the team and potentially accommodate form players, both of which Clarke has done.

TheJezster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I agree, Westwood was a must pick. No brainer from me.

I like the picks, I think he's pretty much got it spot on!

Whatever the outcome I think it'll be a great match up.

D

Deleted member 18588

Shown he can still play during recent majors

Keep hearing this but, The Masters aside, the performances were very ordinary. Either drifted away if in contention (US Open and, to a lesser extent, PGA) or never anywhere near (Open).

Hope he proves me wrong but to me it is as retrograde as would have been turning to Donald or McDowell.

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Keep hearing this but, The Masters aside, the performances were very ordinary. Either drifted away if in contention (US Open and, to a lesser extent, PGA) or never anywhere near (Open).

Hope he proves me wrong but to me it is as retrograde as would have been turning to Donald or McDowell.

He didn't play great which would be contesting in them, but he did play well showing he is still fine at this level. Taking three players off the top of my head in Fowler, Bubba and Reed, then he beat the first two in three out of four majors, and Reed in two out of four. Given they are in top 10 it shows it is reasonable play to get the positions he did with some good rounds in amongst it.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Seems like there was a lot of support from a lot of people for Westwood being a Captain's pick on this thread.

Must have been a different set of people posting on the Official Ryder Cup thread. :whistle:

TheJezster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Told you......fair play for the 2 proper picks though aside from Clarke's mate!!

You didn't "tell us" anything! No one knew what was going to happen, you didn't have a magic ball. This is such a lame claim of knowledge, it's just lazy and no one would accept it as an argument. The reasons for picking Westwood were valid, he's the most experienced and with 6 rookies it was needed. He didn't play well but he probably helped calm down a lot of the newbies. USA played some exceptional golf today and deserved to win.