WGC World Match-Play 2015 Thread

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Really struggling to get excited about it.
2 matches played and its anyone's guess as to who goes through, although there will be some dead matches as both have lost their previous 2.
Not convinced by the new system

And, yeah, take it worldwide. The Yanks have too many of the big tournaments.
But the problem then is that some of the Americans will need to get a passport....

BoadieBroadus

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
one thing about watching last night.... next time you throw up all over yourself trying to get a match won and think "the pros would never do that" - they do, frequently...

matchrat

Medal Winner
Visit site
Pretty complicated who goes through - http://www.worldgolfchampionships.c...ws/2015/04/30/round-three-match-previews.html Going to be some weird dead rubber matches today.

Not sure if I prefer this format or the previous one but I can understand the sponsors wanting a change - never good when your biggest stars get knocked out in the first round. Also glad it's not staying on the west coast irritating going to bed just as the matches get interesting

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Well, despite the Match-Play being changed to a group stage I think the week has been pretty interesting thus far. The tournament has, for me, maintained a sense of intrigue due to only group winners progressing. Thus, plenty of today’s matches are still ‘live’ whilst there’sonly one group (I think) that has already been decided. Had it been top 2 progressing to the knock-out phase then 4 of the groups would have already beena done deal. So not quite as intriguing as straight knock-out but could be acracking evening nonetheless! Here’s the standings and games for tonight:

GROUP 1: McIlroy (2-0) vs. Horschel (2-0); Snedeker (0-2) vs. Dufner (0-2)
Straight shoot-out between Rory and Horschel. Should be a cracker.

GROUP 2: Spieth (2-0) vs. Westwood (2-0); Every(0-2) vs. Ilonen (0-2)
Similar to group 1, a straight shoot-out between Spieth and Westwood. Fair play to Westy, I didn’t think he’d do well this week.

GROUP 3: Stenson (1-1) vs. Haas (1-1); Senden (2-0) vs. Todd (0-2)
Senden in the box seat here. You’d fancy him to beat Brendon Todd.

GROUP 4: Watson (2-0) vs. Oosthuizen (2-0); Bradley (0-2) vs. Jimenez (0-2)
Another straight shoot-out, this time between Bubba and Oosthuizen. Methinks age may just be beginning to catch up with the seemingly evergreen Jimenez.

GROUP 5: Furyk (1-1) vs. Kaymer (1-1); Jaidee (1-1) vs. Coetzee (1-1)
All to play for here. Great result for Jaidee in beating Furyk yesterday. Furyk v Kaymer could be a belter!

GROUP 6: Rose (1-1) vs. Palmer (0-2); Lahiri(1-1) vs. Leishman (2-0)
Rose hanging on by the skin of his teeth and needing Agent Lahiri to help him out.

GROUP 7: Grace (1-1) vs. Hoffman (2-0); Johnson (1-1) vs. Day (0-2)
Charley Hoffman continuing his good form from the Masters. Who’d have thought defending champ Jason Day would have such amare?!

GROUP 8: Johnson (1-1) vs. Dubuisson (0-2); Schwartzel (2-0) vs. Jones (1-1)
Great result for Schwartzel over Dustin yesterday. No surprises over VDUB’s lack of form. Seems to have gone south since the Ryder Cup. Johnson will surely beat him and then it’s down to what happens in the other game.

GROUP 9: Scott (0-2) vs. Kirk (1-1); Molinari (1-1) vs. Casey (2-0)
Had a feeling Scott wouldn’t do much this week. Casey will probably have too much for Molinari.

GROUP 10: Garcia (1-1) vs. Donaldson (1-1);Fleetwood (1-1) vs. Wiesberger (1-1)
All to play for in the European group.Methinks Cheeseburger and Donaldson will win their matches.

GROUP 11: Simpson (2-0) vs. Woodland (2-0);Walker (0-2) vs. Poulter (0-2)
A shoot-out between Simpson and Woodland. Surprised Jimmy Walker didn’t fare better. Poor week for Poults.

GROUP 12: J.B. Holmes (1-1) vs. Brooks Koepka(2-0); Russell Henley (0-2) vs. Marc Warren (1-1)
Intriguing contest between Holmes and Koepka.The latter again proving that he’s a rising star in the game.

GROUP 13: Fowler (2-0) vs. McDowell (0-2);Lowry (1-1) vs. English (1-1)
Fowler’s already through due to having beaten Lowry and English, so only pride and cash to play for here. Disappointing weekfor GMAC.

GROUP 14: Kuchar (1-1) vs. Mahan (2-0);Gallacher (0-2) vs. Martin (1-1)
Good game in prospect between Kuchar and Mahan.

GROUP 15: Reed (1-1) vs. Moore (0-2); Willett(2-0) vs. Sullivan (1-1)
Danny Willett beating Patrick Reed! What aresult! Willett will surely be sky high on confidence. Good showing from Andy Sullivan thus far as well.

GROUP 16: Matsuyama (2-0) vs. Na (1-1); Luiten(1-1) vs. Levy (0-2)
Matsuyama has looked good this week. How willhe fare against super-slow Kevin Na though?!

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Here’s the standings and games for tonight:

Good summary! Been busy so missing out on my usual catch ups, so nice one for the summary :thup:

Ps Oddsocks only one goes through from each group, so if there's a tie the head-to-head result counts

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Down to the knock-out stages now with the following draw for the last 16:

Rory McIlroy (3-0) v Hideki Matsuyama (3-0), 11:14 local time, 19:14 BST.
Paul Casey (3-0) v Charl Schwartzel (3-0), 11:02, 19:02 BST.
Lee Westwood (3-0) v Danny Willett (3-0), 10:26, 18:26 BST.
Tommy Fleetwood (2-1) v Branden Grace (2-1), 10:14, 18:14 BST.
Jim Furyk (2-1) v J.B. Holmes (2-1), 10:38, 18:38 BST.
Rickie Fowler (3-0) v Louis Oosthuizen (3-0), 10:50, 18:50 BST.
Marc Leishman (3-0) v Gary Woodland (3-0), 9:50, 17:50 BST.
John Senden (3-0) v Hunter Mahan (3-0), 10:02, 18:02 BST.

Great results for Lee Westwood, Danny Willett and Tommy Fleetwood last night. England well represented with those three and Paul Casey.

Foliage Finder

Head Pro
Visit site
Down to the knock-out stages now with the following draw for the last 16:

Rory McIlroy (3-0) v Hideki Matsuyama (3-0), 11:14 local time, 19:14 BST.
Paul Casey (3-0) v Charl Schwartzel (3-0), 11:02, 19:02 BST.
Lee Westwood (3-0) v Danny Willett (3-0), 10:26, 18:26 BST.
Tommy Fleetwood (2-1) v Branden Grace (2-1), 10:14, 18:14 BST.
Jim Furyk (2-1) v J.B. Holmes (2-1), 10:38, 18:38 BST.
Rickie Fowler (3-0) v Louis Oosthuizen (3-0), 10:50, 18:50 BST.
Marc Leishman (3-0) v Gary Woodland (3-0), 9:50, 17:50 BST.
John Senden (3-0) v Hunter Mahan (3-0), 10:02, 18:02 BST.

Great results for Lee Westwood, Danny Willett and Tommy Fleetwood last night. England well represented with those three and Paul Casey.

Was totally in agreement about the English cohort - until I looked at the quarter final match ups!

Grace/Fleetwood vs Westwood/Willett was the one that caught my eye.

So best case scenario out of 4 possible Englishmen in the Quarter finals, 2 could go through.

Got a feeling Westwood/Willett may bear similarities to Westwood/Spieth.

Foliage Finder

Head Pro
Visit site
Well, I was wrong about Lee Westwood. Fresh from a win in Indonesia, experienced in match play, through to final 16 then loses. I'm a fan of Danny Willett as well though so I'm happy.

Willett vs Fleetwood should be exciting! Near future of English golf having it out with each other :)

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
Casey not a well man today apparently.

Beware the sick golfer?

Let's see what happens in the next 20 mins

Edit:
To be fair he looked rough and doubt if he had 36 holes in him today. Shame.

Last edited:

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
A good week for Casey nevertheless. I'd guess reaching the last 8 has gone a long way to helping him keep his tour card?

I imagine the 4 top tens and being 29th in the FedEx cup rankings are helping too :D.

Casey has been playing pretty well this year, I think his card is safe.