Seve Trophy

chipin1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Busted. What can I say... I apologise to the French and the Scots.

I'm off to sit on the naughty step for a couple of hours and think about what I did.

PS Excellent French vocab Birdieman - you are a true cosmopolitan, tres bien!

DriveForShow

Medal Winner
Visit site
Isn't GB&I a bit random anyway? GB is a (inter)national entity in itself, but why tack on the Irish Republic? Might just as well tack on the rest of Europe. With the EU, Europe now has more of an unified identity than GB&I.

B

birdieman

Well done Junior, your innocent question almost sparked an international incident and reached an unprecedented number of posts, 45 and counting. Never seen such a long thread. Bravo!

ForeThought

Hacker
Visit site
If the tour was worried about the Seve Trophy not having a high enough profile and that most of the leading players do not take part, why not give automatic Ryder Cup qualification to the best performer in it? After all, its format and requirements are more akin to Ryder Cup play than the individual strokeplay tournaments in which qualificaton is currently achieved.

AceOfClubs

Hacker
Visit site
give automatic Ryder Cup qualification to the best performer in it? After all, its format and requirements are more akin to Ryder Cup play than the individual strokeplay tournaments in which qualificaton is currently achieved.

Hmmm. Interesting idea. Wasn't the Open Champion given automatic qualification once upon a time - or have I got that wrong?

AceOfClubs

Hacker
Visit site
No it was in pre Lawrie days I was thinking of. 1970s maybe? Anyone know?

Btw, Lawrie's Ryder Cup record (3 wins, 1 tie, 1 loss) is a damn site better than most. Indeed, only two Europeans in history have a better career percentage record than his 70%!

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sorry, Madandra. You can't slag off Lawrie. If Tiger plays till he's 50, he won't beat Lawrie's one time Ryder Cup record. And he qualified for being the champion golfer of the year. Don't ever forget how he won it.

imanhacker

Medal Winner
Visit site
If you read the Sunday Telegraph today it sounds like a complete waste of time to me. There's nobody watching - 400 max and some groups as little as 6 people!!

What's the point in that. There's more watch us tee off on a Saturday afternoon.

holein1

Club Champion
Visit site
I agree imanhacker there were more people that turned up to watch the national ploughing championships than the Seve trophy!!!

ForeThought

Hacker
Visit site
There's nobody watching - 400 max and some groups as little as 6 people!! What's the point in that? There's more watch us tee off on a Saturday afternoon.

Agreed. This isn't really good preparation for the Ryder Cup atmosphere!!! It needs to be higher profile.

DriveForShow

Medal Winner
Visit site
If you read the Sunday Telegraph today it sounds like a complete waste of time to me. There's nobody watching - 400 max and some groups as little as 6 people!!

What's the point in that. There's more watch us tee off on a Saturday afternoon.

Apparently the Seve Trophy overlapped with the National Ploughing Championships 20 miles down the road and that got average crowds of 55,000! I kid you not.