Seve Trophy

Marko77

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Interesting points? I would have thought most people would be up for team matches.

I'm looking forward to the Seve Trophy as well as the Presidents Cup - I'm not bothered who wins either, I just hope to see some outstanding golf - the sort that sometimes only matchplay can bring out of a player.

Will be good also for Faldo to build a rapport with one or two potential candidates for the team next year.

B

birdieman

I'll get my coat!

Ouch, Am I allowed back on here??

Anyway loathe is a strong term, not my opinion of the Europeans personally just what I see from other sports, ok well just football then.

John, bit harsh on the Glaswegians aren't you?

Somebody has to play devils advocate and stir up the debate. Truthfully the Ryder Cup does produce good golf it's just that the make up of the teams is too random. If it was GB&I a victory against the Yanks would really mean something. To me changing the teams to suit us has nothing to do with populations, those were the historical teams and it shouldn't have been changed.

On another point every 2 years is too often, should be like Olympics/World Cup etc every 4. If it's too often the competition is devalued.

I think Ryder Cup has grown into a media inspired monster and has lost it's way. Some golfers are trying to build their career bio around it,(Monty, McGinley, Clarke etc) which for me is all wrong.

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
Take your coat back off, birdieman. We're here to express our opinions. Would be a boring forum if we didn't. But remember that if you want to play Devil's Advocate, as a few of us have done in the past, you gotta expect to take it on the chin. Isn't that the point?

I think the fact that we've ended up talking about the Ryder Cup just shows that we don't really care much for the Seve Trophy. Yes, I dare say we would all prefer to support a GB & I team rather than a European one but where's the fun in getting gubbed every two years? And isn't that a fabricated team anyway? Why not just a UK team in that case?

Agree that the media have hijacked the Ryder Cup and I'm worried that it's losing it's way a little. Strong, traditional Captains should sort that, though. Let's not get too gung ho about it. It's not football. It's meant to be friendly competition.

Personally, I love having a team golf event where you can support more than just your favourite player, whether it be Scotland, GB & I, Europe or whatever. And I think every two years is just right, given the home and away format.

And, as one myself, I don't hink I was being harsh on Glaswegians. Was just a representative sample from my home country to show that there are as many divisions within GB & I as there are between us and mainland Europe.

Anyway.

GB & I (not UK) will win again this year. Do I get a prize for being the first person to answer Junior's question?

chipin1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
What are we talking about here, the Seve Trophy or the Ryder Cup?

The Seve Trophy is nothing more than a bit of end of season fun/ RC practice. What's wrong with that? Would you all prefer to watch the Greater Albanian Open featuring stars such as Simon Wakefield? No.

I bet we all end up watching something of the Seve Trophy this weekend.

As for the RC, it's had a bad time over the last four years because the Yanks are useless. All it takes is one more close contest and win, lose or draw, we'll be loving it again!

B

birdieman

GB & I (not UK) will win again this year. Do I get a prize for being the first person to answer Junior's question?

No, but aren't we good at going off on tangents, 20 odd posts before the question gets answered, we should be Politicians!

Phew, glad I'm off the hook.

Imagined a post appearing in a few days reading something like...

"Birdieman.....he wears the concrete shoes and sleeps with the fishes"

signed by the GM Sicilians!

Yes, there's nothing like a wee wind up then wait for the abuse. To borrow a film catchphrase "In cyberspace no one can hear you scream" would be quite apt to this forum I reckon.

Just out of interest is the Seve Trophy on terrestrial or Sky tv? Babysitting all Saturday so I will need some kind of golf tv, god pray not the Golf Channel.

On a roll here, I think the turning point for me was after Oakland Hills in 2004. There are two images that spring to mind. The first is Monty dropping his putter and holding his head in his hands as he holed the overall winning putt. It just seemed so contrived and false, yeah he did well but there's 12 of you not just you Monty. It was a sad attempt at limelight grabbing. Get a grip
The second image I have is Thomas Levet yelling EUROOOOOOPPPE in a daft French accent waving that awful blue flag with the gold circle and quaffing champagne. Wht relevance is this little Frenchman to a team I should support. The flag doesn't hold any significance, Brits shy away from all that EU stuff - Euros, being told to change all our plugs to conform to them, cant eat pancakes at a fete unless they've been prepared in a formal catering kitchen, our chocolate isn't choclolate, taking all our cash in taxes to pay Eastern European farmers etc etc etc. GB and Ireland is real, a Union Jack and a tricolour that means something.
Rant over!

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
debate, craic and banter what makes this forum the best !! I'd expect (and hope for) nothing less !!

PS. John, thanks for answering the question !

chipin1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Birdieman for PM!

Another film catchphrase for this discussion - "The problem with Scotland... is that it's filled with Scots!"

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm desperately trying not to rise to the bait here.......

.....watching it on Sky now...and Europe are winning. Euuuurrrrooopppe.....Euuuurrrroooppppe !

Nah. You're right. It doesn't work.

B

birdieman

"The problem with Scotland... is that it's filled with Scots!"

Stepping on thin ice now chipin - what's your beef with us real Northerners?

chipin1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Birdieman - if you can have a go at the frogs then I can have a dig at the Scots. It's all to do with this 'hate everyone who lives outside your postcode' philosophy that you started.

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ooooohhh, chipin. Either I've just heard birdieman putting his coat back on... or you've just fallen into his trap. Can't decide which side to take now.

Think I'll just sit back and watch you two happyslapping for a bit.

B

birdieman

Birdieman It's all to do with this 'hate everyone who lives outside your postcode' philosophy that you started.
I think John F started that, not me. I said why should we support Europeans over Americans, I didn't say anything derogatory about them as races.
I think I promoted GB&I which includes England so you are off the mark a bit with your quasi-racist comment.

chipin1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The second image I have is Thomas Levet yelling EUROOOOOOPPPE in a daft French accent... Wht relevance is this little Frenchman to a team I should support.

Refering to Levet as a 'little Frenchman' is a bit condescending and implies that you haven't got huge amount of time for or friends from across the Channel. But that's not the point - I don't want to be labelled as a racist. It was just a gentle jibe that's all. Also, technically speaking I was quoting a film therefore wasn't actually the one being racist. That's by the by - to all the Scots out there, I love you.

Not wanting to reignite the debate, why don't we all just get along?

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm off for a golf weekend in the Algarve.

Jammy beggar, Teetotal. Why just the weekend?

Think about us while you're on the course, basking in the sunshine. I'm sure that by the time you come back a United Nations peace-keeping force will have intervened here.

B

birdieman

[/QUOTE]

Refering to Levet as a 'little Frenchman' is a bit condescending and implies that you haven't got huge amount of time for or friends from across the Channel.

[/QUOTE]

Au contraire chipin, I love France, spent much time there, top nosh, top birds, great skiing...in fact would probably move there.

He is a little Frenchman, at least I didn't call him a Frog unlike vous!!

Vive la France!