You have to pick now...

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
In the Olympics you aren't playing in a team environment

Any run up to the RC you have lots of programs on Sky and all the players talk about the "different" pressure faced when playing in the RC - no one is "playing it up" and I mentioned players like Faldo and Seve who mentioned the different pressure but then you start going on about Monty and Poulter and Westwood and talking about bottling ?!

You either listen to some of the biggest names in golf in Europe who have faced both types of pressure whilst playing in majors and the RC and have stated how "different" ( highlighting different as I don't think it's less or more in either situation ) the pressure is

Players like Watson and Poulter prob don't show nerves and have a different way of facing the pressure faced whilst playing in the RC

Highly recommend reading the autobiographys or watching the stories of the RC and getting the feelings of the actual players who state exactly how it is

So GB on the medal chart isn't part of a team???

My point about Monty, Westwood and Poulter is that their records in ryder cups are better than majors. So if the pressure is so great how to they handle it in one and not the other.

As i've already stated, I accept that there is massive pressure, and whilst i may not have read autobiographies, but I still watch most of the golf and I don't think I've ever seen a build up to any of the big comps where they aren't built up and heralded as the best. They're hardly gonna show some player sayings easy, whats all the fuss about.
You've named 6/7 players saying its tough, and given their autobiographies as testament, but 6/7 out of 100's of players doesn't prove a point.

We are on different sides here, so I'll simply say that i respect your opinion and have one that differs.

D

Deleted member 15344

So GB on the medal chart isn't part of a team???

I'm pretty sure that Rose picked up a medal on his own and its clearly not a team environment whilst he was playing - quite clearly - it's not even comparable to the RC
My point about Monty, Westwood and Poulter is that their records in ryder cups are better than majors. So if the pressure is so great how to they handle it in one and not the other.

Because it's "different" - it's a totally different format - it's matchplay , it's foursomes and fourballs , singles - it's not four rounds of stroke play - different

As i've already stated, I accept that there is massive pressure, and whilst i may not have read autobiographies, but I still watch most of the golf and I don't think I've ever seen a build up to any of the big comps where they aren't built up and heralded as the best. They're hardly gonna show some player sayings easy, whats all the fuss about.
You've named 6/7 players saying its tough, and given their autobiographies as testament, but 6/7 out of 100's of players doesn't prove a point.

We are on different sides here, so I'll simply say that i respect your opinion and have one that differs.

I'm actually struggling to understand all this and what your actual point is to be honest

I have just said that a good number of players have stated from their own expirence how "different" the pressure is playing in the RC compared to playing in a major - I haven't said that the pressure is more or less just different because it's a totally different way they play and it only happens once every two years and it's a massive rivalry - are you on the different side to the players ?

So I'm not sure exactly what you are differing from ? Actual words from the players themselves who have stated how different the pressure is - how they have been physically shaking on the tee , even players like Woods and Mickleson have said the same sort of stuff - Langer still haunted by a missed putt , Mahan still haunted by the duff chip

Do you not believe them ? Do you think players like Faldo , Seve , Monty , Poulter are not telling the truth and you differ from people who have actually played in the various comps ?

No one has said that in the build up that the RC is the "best" - I'm not staying that the RC is bigger or better than a major and that the players would take a RC over a major so I'm not actually sure what your point is

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Standing over a 6ft putt to win the Masters or to win the RC.
Give me the masters every time.
If you miss it you've let yourself down,miss it in the RC & I'd feel like I'd let a full continent down,including my team mates.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
It's amazing how people can get their OPINION confused with FACT.

We all have our opinions, from which we are entitled. No one is right or wrong on this matter, it's all subjective.

Well know for sure soon enough and can debate Captain Clarke's decision.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
I'm pretty sure that Rose picked up a medal on his own and its clearly not a team environment whilst he was playing - quite clearly - it's not even comparable to the RC

Because it's "different" - it's a totally different format - it's matchplay , it's foursomes and fourballs , singles - it's not four rounds of stroke play - different

I'm actually struggling to understand all this and what your actual point is to be honest

I have just said that a good number of players have stated from their own expirence how "different" the pressure is playing in the RC compared to playing in a major - I haven't said that the pressure is more or less just different because it's a totally different way they play and it only happens once every two years and it's a massive rivalry - are you on the different side to the players ?

So I'm not sure exactly what you are differing from ? Actual words from the players themselves who have stated how different the pressure is - how they have been physically shaking on the tee , even players like Woods and Mickleson have said the same sort of stuff - Langer still haunted by a missed putt , Mahan still haunted by the duff chip

Do you not believe them ? Do you think players like Faldo , Seve , Monty , Poulter are not telling the truth and you differ from people who have actually played in the various comps ?

No one has said that in the build up that the RC is the "best" - I'm not staying that the RC is bigger or better than a major and that the players would take a RC over a major so I'm not actually sure what your point is

Im not gonna respond point by point. I've learned my lesson from that. But I will explain what I meant re "the best".

Before each tournament, to tv shows will big up each respective event. Augusta is the most pristine, the us the hardest, the open the original, the us pga the widest field. The Ryder cup most unique.

my point was simply that now that it's the Ryder cup coming up, we will hear all the so called things that make it what is is as they are selling it. Pressure is just one selling point they try to use.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
It's amazing how people can get their OPINION confused with FACT.

We all have our opinions, from which we are entitled. No one is right or wrong on this matter, it's all subjective.

Well know for sure soon enough and can debate Captain Clarke's decision.

Surely Donald can't get a pick?

Hosel Fade

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Surely Donald can't get a pick?

Exactly, its the one pick that would really wind me up, don't care that he is 8-2-1. Last one was in 2010 and there are players in far better form available. Really don't need one of the shortest hitters on the US tour that is also 150 odd in driving accuracy on a course over 7600

Last edited:

Pin-seeker

Visit site
If we take out of form players just for experience we are basically preying that they all of a sudden find some form.

And maybe the inform inexperienced players will do just fine with the pressure & continue to play well.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I think if we didn't already have so many rookies, Peiters and Knox would get in without too many issues. However, especially in the US we are going to need some experience to compliment the new faces and I simply don't see how we can win with so many untried players in the RC format which is why I'd go Westwood, Kaymer and Knox, based on nothing more that while Pieters did well in Denmark, it wasn't the hardest and strongest filed of the year and that his time will come next time if he carries on progressing

Normal

Visit site
I think if we didn't already have so many rookies, Peiters and Knox would get in without too many issues. However, especially in the US we are going to need some experience to compliment the new faces and I simply don't see how we can win with so many untried players in the RC format which is why I'd go Westwood, Kaymer and Knox, based on nothing more that while Pieters did well in Denmark, it wasn't the hardest and strongest filed of the year and that his time will come next time if he carries on progressing

If DC decided last week that Westwood-Kaymer-Donald (after his second place on the PGA tour) would be his picks, why was he paired with Pieters in Denmark?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
If DC decided last week that Westwood-Kaymer-Donald (after his second place on the PGA tour) would be his picks, why was he paired with Pieters in Denmark?

I know why he was paired with Clarke. However, as I said, although Pieters won, it wasn't a stellar field. A win is a win and you can't do anymore than beat what's in front of you, but Knox with two wins in the US would seem to have a better shout, especially as he's familiar with the conditions over there too.

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
European Ryder Cup captain's picks since 2004:

Rookies: 4 picks, 3-7-3 record (W-L-T)
Veterans: 10 picks, 24-9-6 record

Experience is key, backed up in the stats since we've been successful. There's a couple of rookies I'd trade out that have made the team for Knox and Pieters, but they've earned their spot so fair play I suppose.

Would be surprised at Donald over Knox but looks that way now.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Experience is key, backed up in the stats since we've been successful. There's a couple of rookies I'd trade out that have made the team for Knox and Pieters, but they've earned their spot so fair play I suppose.

looks like Pieters over both if you believe the betting markets

Faldono1fan

Club Champion
Visit site
In my opinion it's more of a gamble picking Donald than someone like Pieters who is coming into form at the right time. How Tom Watson would like his pick over again and select Billy Ho above Rev Simpson. They were without the winner of the Fedex Cup. Rookies when used correctly can perform very well. I know there are more than usual, but these players can perform and should not be underestimated. Look at 2014 and how Dubuisson and Donaldson performed. Play them with experienced Ryder Cuppers in the pairs, get the confidence up and that will continue into the singles.

It will be close, but I do see a European Victory as a distinct possibility. I do think that selecting Donald could backfire.

Raesy92

Assistant Pro
Visit site
For me it's got to be Kaymer, Westwood and then either Knox or Pieters.

I'd probably go for Knox over Pieters as he has won twice this season against stronger fields. Especially the WGC event.

Pin-seeker

Visit site

We're the veterans in form at the time when picked?

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Last month Darren Clarke said:

"At the very start I said it would be very, very difficult to pick a rookie. I still stand by that opinion."

Maybe suggesting there's no Knox, Kjeldsen or Pieters and the Westwood/Kaymer/Donald gossip is nearer the mark

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
We're the veterans in form at the time when picked?

Hard to tell. And 'form' is a pretty unquantifiable term. It would have been a mixture.

But you can be pretty sure the rookies were in very good 'form' - or else they wouldn't have forced their way into the team as a pick. And yet they went on to get 4.5 points from 13. 34% Vs 75% for the rookies...

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Hard to tell. And 'form' is a pretty unquantifiable term. It would have been a mixture.

But you can be pretty sure the rookies were in very good 'form' - or else they wouldn't have forced their way into the team as a pick. And yet they went on to get 4.5 points from 13. 34% Vs 75% for the rookies...

Fair point.