You have to pick now...

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
Not sure my post is any more biased then saying the European team is the worst ever and not giving any reasons why? The aim was to put a different point of view across because I don't believe all this negativity is justified. The Ryder Cup is not somewhere to find form and I think Fowler and Speith will struggle personally. Take your point on Kuchar and DJ, but I still maintain it's about the team NOT individuals and our stars gel better and will work with the rookies better.In my view.

Agreed, but that's just a post from a troll. I was just saying you have some of the most EU tinted spectacles I've come across in a while in a long post and there's no harm in balance and then still concluding we will win!

Spieth still has 2 PGA tour wins this season and was arguably 1 swing away from the Masters - sure he hasn't reached the heights he set in 2015 but still highly formidable. Rickie Fowler has a very good birdie percentage - this season he has chucked in too many doubles and worse, he will be a very tough fourball player. But you're right, they're not in the best of form but they'll be in 4 highly competitive fields in the next 4 weeks and have the chance to find some (or looking at it the other way get fatigued).

Also agree there's a large element of team play required. It's widely accepted that we tend to perform greater than the sum of our parts and the Yanks worse, and it's usually enough to secure victory (in recent history) and long may that continue!

Faldono1fan

Club Champion
Visit site
Ah Ok. Not posted in a while so not sure who is trolling. :)

Take your point. No doubt the Americans do have quality players, but so do Europe and I don't think there is as huge a gulf in quality that people are making out. Add to that the better team spirit that exists and in my view I expect to see Europe win again.(hopefully!)

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Westwood, Knox, and Kaymer for me. Westwood wouldnt have made it in other recent cup years, but concerned about the number of rookies in the team. Only consolation is that the US team will look weakish in its bottom half as well.
Rors has to be on a good week rather than an ah-shucks-throw-in-the-towel week for us to have a chance I think.

DCB

Visit site
Think we need a bit of experience and knowledge of the american style courses.

Going by form up until today, I'd take Westwood, Kaymer and Donald. Think Donald is just currently a little more in form than McDowell and Knox.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thought about it, and I'd be going Knox, Westwood and Pieters. Forget having so many rookies, they're not true rookies anymore. These are experienced, top players. You pick your best team, and for me, those three have to be picked.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
Westwood is in as Chubby Chandler (possibly accidentally) gave the game away on a Golf Digest podcast last week. After that I'd go Knox and Kaymer.

paddyc

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Think we need a bit of experience and knowledge of the american style courses.

Going by form up until today, I'd take Westwood, Kaymer and Donald. Think Donald is just currently a little more in form than McDowell and Knox.
Donald in better from than Knox, you are having a laugh!! For me Knox has to go on his consistent form over the season. a WGC win and a PGA tour victory, along with Westwood and Kaymer

Whydowedoit

Hacker
Visit site
Excellent form & win from Pieters. Playing well at the moment. Westwood has been very consistent & with his experience has to have a pick. Kaymer has become more consistent recently which says he is on the up & again offers experience. Knox has had a good couple of years in the US & would be a good pick also. Between those four. But here's a question. What about Chris Wood? Has a recurring neck injury. Can he actually make the team? Perhaps those four will all get in? Another question, & I should really know the answer, but what happens in the Ryder Cup if in say foursomes, one player gets an injury & cannot continue? What's the protocol? Can a replacement be called in or is the match over? Seriously cant remember!

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
It's going to be hard on whoever misses out but I have a feeling DC's going to go with form....
Kaymer. Knox and Pieters now.
Pieters, I think has to go after the last month he's had...
Knox has played well in America this year
Kaymers's run into better form than he took into Medinah....
Westy could be in trouble........

D

Deleted member 15344

It's going to be hard on whoever misses out but I have a feeling DC's going to go with form....

Believe Westwood is a shoe in and has been for a long time especially when DC knew there was going to be a big number of rookies making the automatic team

With 5 already in the team would be amazed if he picked two more so can see Kaymer getting one

The last space imo will be between Lowry , Pieters ( who has put himself in the mix ) and Knox

Right now i would lean towards Pieters but could see him picking Lowry

Pin-seeker

Visit site

I like Westwood,but no way should he be getting a pick.
I'd be happy with the 3 you mention.

But I still can't see us winning this time tbh 😣

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Believe Westwood is a shoe in and has been for a long time especially when DC knew there was going to be a big number of rookies making the automatic team

With 5 already in the team would be amazed if he picked two more so can see Kaymer getting one

The last space imo will be between Lowry , Pieters ( who has put himself in the mix ) and Knox

Right now i would lean towards Pieters but could see him picking Lowry

Can't see Lowry getting the nod. Too inconsistent. If it's on form then Pieters would seem the obvious choice but I would suggest Knox as a player based in the US and playing well enough. Westwood Kaymer and Knox for me. Will definitely be an interesting choice.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I'm coming round to the theory of "Sod experience, pick form players".
Experience means nowt of you're not on form.
Knox - a WGC plus a PGA Tour win, Pieters - 3 wins in short order plus plenty of good finishes.
Who needs experience.....?

D

Deleted member 15344

I'm coming round to the theory of "Sod experience, pick form players".
Experience means nowt of you're not on form.
Knox - a WGC plus a PGA Tour win, Pieters - 3 wins in short order plus plenty of good finishes.
Who needs experience.....?

You need it in the Ryder Cup - need to have the good mix - something Europe have done well to find. Form is a strange thing in golf - players can be untouchable one week then a mare the next.

When coming into the foursomes and fourballs - having players like Westwood and Kaymer who have both performed within the highest pressure is invaluable , both have shown to be perfect partners for rookies in the past as well as off the course as well. Going in with 7 rookies would be a big risk that I just can't see him taking.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
You need it in the Ryder Cup - need to have the good mix - something Europe have done well to find. Form is a strange thing in golf - players can be untouchable one week then a mare the next.

When coming into the foursomes and fourballs - having players like Westwood and Kaymer who have both performed within the highest pressure is invaluable , both have shown to be perfect partners for rookies in the past as well as off the course as well. Going in with 7 rookies would be a big risk that I just can't see him taking.

On the flip side, why would you pick players purely on experience who are currently out of nick and struggling to piece together competitive scores?

No good being there if you're not going to be competitive.

D

Deleted member 15344

On the flip side, why would you pick players purely on experience who are currently out of nick and struggling to piece together competitive scores?

No good being there if you're not going to be competitive.

Because when it comes to the Ryder Cup the European players find a way to play as a team regardless of people's form before hand and gel together - even if one player is off form he still contributes in some way

The US concentrate on single player form - the Europeans concentrate on the team environment and have to done for decades. Plenty of players have played despite form issues and provided an input or played their part

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Because when it comes to the Ryder Cup the European players find a way to play as a team regardless of people's form before hand and gel together - even if one player is off form he still contributes in some way

The US concentrate on single player form - the Europeans concentrate on the team environment and have to done for decades. Plenty of players have played despite form issues and provided an input or played their part

So why not pick Faldo, Jiminez and Olazabal?

I get your point Phil I really do, but I cannot understand why you would pick someone purely on experience over someone in form.

To coin an example from another sport, why did the then England manager pick Wilshire ahead of Drinkwater in the previous Euros?

Experience vs form?

Mcilroy has great experience of the Ryder Cup, yet his current form (... And putting) is shocking.

Europeans will always gel as a team regardless who is picked purely as there are less egos to clash.