You have to pick now...

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Don't see Beef there yet, but he would be entertaining, Hatton is playing well,
The problem is players who qualified early then play poorly or streaky in the summer.
Fitz is a worry for me, wood has a bad neck at the mo and should be resting it.

Alex Noren would be on my list of wild card candidates

Norrin Radd

Tour Winner
Visit site
well what now ,Luke puts in a good performance at the Wyndham along with G Mac. Pieters also at the Czech masters . so who is going to get the pick now ,have any of those three put themselves in the frame ,after all they are showing good form at the right time ,unlike Westwood who again finishes in the top 30 but dosent flatter .
is Clarke going to go with form or heart?

351DRIVER

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Not sure about the picks, but i think this is going to the year the USA get it together, NO Tiger equals more of a team

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
well what now ,Luke puts in a good performance at the Wyndham along with G Mac. Pieters also at the Czech masters . so who is going to get the pick now ,have any of those three put themselves in the frame ,after all they are showing good form at the right time ,unlike Westwood who again finishes in the top 30 but dosent flatter .
is Clarke going to go with form or heart?

Interesting how you describe Luke as showing good form due to a T2, but his other 6 since US Open is 3 MC, and 3 around cT45. Westwood has played in higher quality events and starting with US open has T32, T11, T22 (The Open), 85 and T27. Surely Westwood has better form (and must be a pick) than Donald at this stage, all be it I think Donald could be a good pick as well given his iron game and previous Ryder Cup wins.

For the record Mcdowell has 3 MC and and a T63 out of his seven tournaments starting at the US Open.

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Not sure about the picks, but i think this is going to the year the USA get it together, NO Tiger equals more of a team

Not so sure about no Tiger, particularly as he's a Vice Captain, but agree I think we'll see a very strong and different style team for the US on home soil. Think youngsters could now bring a new momentum for them.

njrose51

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Good team!

Kaymer, Westwood and BEEF to make up the Wildcards.

As we don't have Poulter on the Course, BEEF will get the crowd going.

Unfortunately though, I think our run has to end and it will end this year.

U

User62651

3 picks - Knox, Kaymer and Beef. Lowry's arse fell out at the PGA = possible choker.

Hope its another 'War on the Shore' or 'Miracle at Medinah' - match needs some serious needle to make it interesting again. Any squirrel huntin' flag wavin' rednecks in the US team this time? - Boo Weekley was great value a few years back.

D

Deleted member 1147

With so many rookies I would look to some experience so I imagine Westwood is a definate, then add 2 players on really good form leading up to the event. Maybe someone who does well in the Fedex playoffs.

D

Deleted member 15344

Team already has 5 rookies so can see Clarke picking Westwood and Kaymer for sure but the third pick will be between Knox and Lowry. Knox is playing at the moment but Lowry has shown in the past he can work well with some of the players in the team environment - going to be tough choice.

D

Deleted member 1147

I'd like to see Luke Donald start to show some real late season form and push his way in. Not many better foresomes players than him, when on form.

drewster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Westwood, Pieters and Knox for me . Westwood because he was always going to play. Pieters will be a beast in the 4 balls and Knox becuase of his WGC win and great form actually in the US. Can't see why GMAC or Donald would even be in the conversation. Addditionally 3 months ago it was Lowry's to lose and he hasn't been ableto hit a cows backside consistently with a banjo since.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Westwood and Kaymer for sure. Not sure about the third. Beef would get the crowd going but not sure he's quite the finished product yet and up to the intensity of the RC. Not sure we'd need another rookie either. Tough call for DC

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I would guess that Clarke does not want to pick a rookie but Russell Knox must be in the reckoning after a excellent season.

I agree but I can't help thinking that it isn't the strongest looking side we've ever had and one that's definitely in transition. If the US want to stop the European winning streak they won't have a better chance than this

Faldono1fan

Club Champion
Visit site
Cannot agree with most of the comments on here.

"The worst team ever?" Really? What about the days when Europe and previously GB&I were losing heavily? What about the Mark James team where there was no strength in depth and we had the likes of Andrew Coltart, Jean Van De Velde ETC? We have the current Open Champion,Masters Champion, Olympic Champion. We also have a winner of 3 majors in Mcilroy, one of the best ball strikers in Garcia. We are very likely to have a double major champion in Kaymer. Wood,Fitzy,Carbrera Bello and Sullivan are all ranked in the top 50. Not sure why this is the worst team ever?

Let's look at the US team shall we?

Speith cannot keep the ball on the fairway, DJ has a poor RC record, Kuchar has lost his consistency, Walker came from nowhere to win the USPGA and had no form previously. Fowler is likely to be picked, but has had a poor season so far. Europe will not exactly be quaking in their boots.

Fully expecting another win for Europe. The Tiger situation is irrelevant. They are still not as good as gelling together as Europe. It's just the nature of the respective tours.

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
Cannot agree with most of the comments on here.

"The worst team ever?" Really? What about the days when Europe and previously GB&I were losing heavily? What about the Mark James team where there was no strength in depth and we had the likes of Andrew Coltart, Jean Van De Velde ETC? We have the current Open Champion,Masters Champion, Olympic Champion. We also have a winner of 3 majors in Mcilroy, one of the best ball strikers in Garcia. We are very likely to have a double major champion in Kaymer. Wood,Fitzy,Carbrera Bello and Sullivan are all ranked in the top 50. Not sure why this is the worst team ever?

Let's look at the US team shall we?

Speith cannot keep the ball on the fairway, DJ has a poor RC record, Kuchar has lost his consistency, Walker came from nowhere to win the USPGA and had no form previously. Fowler is likely to be picked, but has had a poor season so far. Europe will not exactly be quaking in their boots.

Fully expecting another win for Europe. The Tiger situation is irrelevant. They are still not as good as gelling together as Europe. It's just the nature of the respective tours.

Whilst I agree with some of what you say, that has to be 1 of the most biased posts I've read! You can't say all the great things about the European guys and then all the negative about the US and come to a logical conclusion!!

Spieth has had some ball striking problems but is still a top 10 short game and top 5 putter on tour - great for unexpected holes on matchplay
DJ 2016 is a different beast to previous years
Kuchar - Most definitely has not lost any consistency! 9 T10s in his last 15 events and 1 MC. I think only Day and DJ have more T10s over that time.
Fowler hasnt been great this year but personally I'd only take 5 of our team over him.

Too close to call at this stage IMO, bring it on!

Faldono1fan

Club Champion
Visit site
Not sure my post is any more biased then saying the European team is the worst ever and not giving any reasons why? The aim was to put a different point of view across because I don't believe all this negativity is justified. The Ryder Cup is not somewhere to find form and I think Fowler and Speith will struggle personally. Take your point on Kuchar and DJ, but I still maintain it's about the team NOT individuals and our stars gel better and will work with the rookies better.In my view.