Yet Another Disappointment

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Saw him this year and that wasn’t the experience at all. I think the right just don’t like him as they perceive him as having gone “woke” which is of course tiresome.

Considering I'm left and don't appreciate him I wouldn't say that's the case

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Saw Carrott at the Albert Hall in the late 80's....just constant laughter.

Dave Gorman's Powerpoint to the People show last year was very very funny. Likewise took the missus to see Sarah Millican about 8 or 9 years ago and she was hilarious. Henning Wehn I love on TV but his live show was a bit hit and miss when we saw him a few years ago.

One of the best I ever saw was Phil Nicol doing his "A Deadpan Poet sings Quiet Songs Quietly" routine, honing material before the Edinburgh Festival. This was at a small local theatre...maybe 150 people. Comedy is best suited to such venues in my opinion, rather than large two or three thousand seater concert venues.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
One of the best recently was when Jasper Carrot toured with Allister McGown. They both alternated to 30 minutes each total 2 hours. Great night for our la’l town

paddyjk

Banned
Visit site
Saw Carrott at the Albert Hall in the late 80's....just constant laughter.

Dave Gorman's Powerpoint to the People show last year was very very funny. Likewise took the missus to see Sarah Millican about 8 or 9 years ago and she was hilarious. Henning Wehn I love on TV but his live show was a bit hit and miss when we saw him a few years ago.

One of the best I ever saw was Phil Nicol doing his "A Deadpan Poet sings Quiet Songs Quietly" routine, honing material before the Edinburgh Festival. This was at a small local theatre...maybe 150 people. Comedy is best suited to such venues in my opinion, rather than large two or three thousand seater concert venues.
I like Dave gorman, off to see pptp in December.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Only ever seen 2 big name comedians, I'm not really into comedy, find most of them lame.

Gervais about 5 years ago, I thought he was great.

My favourite who I saw a couple of times a good while ago was Rik Mayall. He was fantastic. RIP Rik.

Nobody has mention Julian Clary yet. 😂

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Worst I ever saw was at a giant Xmas party in Newcastle. This was in the late 90s. Newcastle were playing Man Utd in an evening ko, and they put the game on giant screens. They got stuffed and the mood wasn’t great when the first act came on - Roger De Coursey and Nookie Bear.

He absolutely died on his arse, must have been 2000 folk there, and he never got a single laugh. In desperation he started telling blue jokes. They didn’t go down well either. It was excruciatingly painful to watch.

We then had dinner, and the headliner came on, Edwin Starr. Everyone was pissed by that time, and he went down very well. Didn’t tell any jokes right enough.

D

Deleted member 1147

Best I've seen was Jasper Carrott, stomach muscles ached for days after.
Bill Bailey, before he made it big, was excellent too, as was Phil Jupitus with his Ready, Jedi, Go! show.
Paul Merton was the worst, along with Chubby and eventually Doddy (as I'd seen him a few times and age was getting the better of him).

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Only ever seen 2 big name comedians, I'm not really into comedy, find most of them lame.

Gervais about 5 years ago, I thought he was great.

My favourite who I saw a couple of times a good while ago was Rik Mayall. He was fantastic. RIP Rik.

Nobody has mention Julian Clary yet. 😂
Saw Julian Clary a few years ago (just after we had also seen him in panto) He was really funny, quite rude and you almost felt guilty laughing - especially during the song entitled 'Life's a c....' It was very true what he was singing but still had the shock value that made you cringe a bit. Amazingly, the audience was at the older range, many in their 60s.

paddyjk

Banned
Visit site
It saddens me to say ......but it was Peter Kaye. He has a barnstorming show ending but it doesn't change the fact he has nothing new in his act and it's a bit of a bore.
That's a shame, was it lack of new stuff or just a bit naff?

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
Seen a few over the years, remember seeing Bernard Manning at the circus tavern early 80s, absolutely hilarious at the time, probably pretty dreadful now when looked at through the prism of the 21st century but hey ho.

Another great one was Frank Skinner at the Palladium, me and the Mrs could barely draw breath through laughing!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I remember seeing Ross Noble a long time ago and being in absolute tears of laughter. Paul Chowdhry is a current favourite of mine, find him hilarious and seen him several times. Stewart Lee is always good - his 'If You Prefer a Milder Comedian Please Ask For One' show is among the very best I've seen. My other favourite is not one I ever saw live, because he died before my time really, but there's a Bill Hicks show that was just incredible - I forgot what it was titled but it has some hilarious routines.