Yet Another Disappointment

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Ross Noble (several times) and Jimmy Carr, both great live
A few listed above on yt have been really good plus Dara o Briain I'd like to see live

Never really been disappointed, just lucky I guess

Beedee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
In no particular order I think my list is

Sean Hughes
Dara O'Briain
Lee Mack
Omid Djalili
Jimmy Carr
Harry Hill
Al Murray
Jeremy Hardy
Russell Howard
Ian Stone
Ross Noble
Ed Bryne
Simon Evans
Ardal O'Hanlon

Ross Noble was by far the best. Got tickets for him early next year. I would go see all of them again if it were possible except Harry Hill. I used to quite like him on TV so went to see him. Extremely unfunny live and just came across as creepy.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Found Chubby Brown awful. The best were Jethro and Romish Ragananash, You know who I mean We saw him before going on a UK tour.

His open ending line was Barrow - What a ‘flipping’ hole. just the way he said it and continued along those lines. just found him so down to earth

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
No mention of Chubby Brown yet. Another marmite comedian.
He's marmite before you go though. I wouldn't pay to see him, wouldn't go with a free ticket. Basically, I don't find him funny so wouldn't go and be disappointed.

He is certainly someone you should listen to before parting with your money. You will soon know whether he is for you or not.

Fromtherough

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I’ve seen most of the top comics in of the last 20 odd years (bar Micky Flanagan who we will see later this year). The biggest disappointment for me was Sean Lock. Absolutely loved him on tv, but he bombed big time. In fairness it was a warm up for his Lockepedia tour - but wow, several tumble weed moments. Lots left after the interval.

Fromtherough

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Ah comedy

Just as music will always come down to personal taste

Seen some great ones like

Sean Lock
Peter Kay
Jethro
Jason Byrne

Though Russel Howard was horrific

And people like Frankie Boyle just abusive

Looking forward to seeing Paul Smith
Paul Smith is very good and his interactions with the audience can be amazing. But… some of his material can be Frankie Boyle-esque. Not a bad thing for me - but if you don’t like you may not enjoy.

TimShady

Banned
Visit site
Fantastic on mock the week but live? Just asks the audience to heckle him so he can't insult them
Saw him this year and that wasn’t the experience at all. I think the right just don’t like him as they perceive him as having gone “woke” which is of course tiresome.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Interesting we have not had a mention of Jimmy Carr yet, I don't think anyway. I haven't seen him live but he is another comedian who walks a tight line.

On Frankie Boyle, he seemed to turn nasty for the shock value only. He used to be very funny but went too far for me. Nothing about being woke or however people want to describe it.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
No mention of Chubby Brown yet. Another marmite comedian.

I saw Chubby Brown a couple of times in the late 70’s. A lot less swearing and a bit more meat to his jokes. I really enjoyed him. I saw him again in the early 00’s, and I found him horrendously offensive. Seen the odd clip since… definitely not for me.

I like Jimmy on 8 out of 10 cats but he’s another one whose stand up routine is too sharp for me.

Fromtherough

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Just remembered, a few years back a couple of us accompanied our old boss to an awards night. The after dinner speaker was Jim Davidson, which we only found out on arrival. He started quite a lot of sentences with “I’m not racist but…” or “I’m not sexist but…”. After 5 mins we went to the bar.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Interesting we have not had a mention of Jimmy Carr yet, I don't think anyway. I haven't seen him live but he is another comedian who walks a tight line.

On Frankie Boyle, he seemed to turn nasty for the shock value only. He used to be very funny but went too far for me. Nothing about being woke or however people want to describe it.
Jimmy Carr, along with Gervais are probably the 2 most consistent comedians over the last couple of decades. They have the ability to keep using current affairs as part of their act. I’ve seen them both a few times live and have found them very funny every time.

Lots like Lee Evens, Jack Dee and so on depend on their delivery as much as the content, so once you’ve seen one show. You’ve seen them all.

The first time I saw Lee Evens I laughed so much, I ached the day after. The last time I left disappointed.